It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masonic hand signs / handshakes?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Since (as a lot of masons on here like to admit - they have nothing to hide) - then i'm willing to entertain that notion.

I am very curious if any enlightened members can give me information regarding the handshakes they use, or indeed some of the silent symbols used with hand gestures? I understand that certain handshakes can show masonic belonging, but I've heard it goes deeper than that.

I thank you in advance. I'm always curious to learn, but without actually joining the masons, i'd be interested on what you members can tell me.

Cheers

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I can give you a hint to one they probably use.
Hint: There is only one hand used.
Or is that the skull and bones?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard[/iI am not sure you if you understand what the word "secret" means when it comes to the Masonic Order,and their Offshoots/Children & wives. Eastern Star; DeMolay. Don't waste your time, We won't Tell

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by the6elf
reply to post by mr-lizard[/iI am not sure you if you understand what the word "secret" means when it comes to the Masonic Order,and their Offshoots/Children & wives. Eastern Star; DeMolay. Don't waste your time, We won't Tell

Made me chuckle.

Some of this info is easy to find on the interweb. But I'd also be interested to hear what any real masons have to say.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Since (as a lot of masons on here like to admit - they have nothing to hide) - then i'm willing to entertain that notion.
I don't think any Mason on here has said that we have nothing to hide. But, in fact, almost every one of us on ATS at some point or another has explicitly stated that the grips, passwords, and the exact wording of the ritual are just about the only secrets about Masonry that we're required to keep. That's just the tradition....

I am very curious if any enlightened members can give me information regarding the handshakes they use, or indeed some of the silent symbols used with hand gestures?
What do you want to know about them?

I understand that certain handshakes can show masonic belonging,
They can. That doesn't mean that they do. If you happen to grab someone else's hand in a particular way, no SWAT team is going to drop out of the sky and demand to see your dues card. There's nothing keeping any individual from grabbing any other individual's hand in any way under the sun. Just because two people happen to have their hands in that position does not automatically make them Masons. Which is why we use the passwords too, because those are less likely to happen by accident...

but I've heard it goes deeper than that.
You'll need to be less oblique. Did you have a question?

I thank you in advance. I'm always curious to learn, but without actually joining the masons, i'd be interested on what you members can tell me.
And we'd be happy to answer your questions, so long as those questions are not what the grips are, or what the words are. We can talk ABOUT the grips & words without revealing them though.

But I'm not really getting a specific question from your post... more like "Handshakes... talk about them!" It would be more helpful to know what you'd like to find out about them.
edit on 2011.12.4 by JoshNorton because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

As JN has already pointed out, each and every Mason has taken a personal oath not to reveal our private modes of recognition. But I guess what impresses me about such requests (and they happen frequently) is the inherent laziness. Even before the Internet, it wasn't like it wasn't possible to buy books that would detail the ritual; I mean such books have only been available since the mid-1700s. And even were there not books readily available, if you actually believed that something underhanded was going on, you could always join a Lodge and discover all the underhandedness that goes on first hand. I mean who would blame you for breaking your oath if that happened? I mean yes, you would have to pay the initiation fee and dues and such and then put in the time to memorise some work. But that'd be a small price to pay for certainty, wouldn't it?

But instead, you'd rather phone it in on the Internet expecting actual Masons to just break their own oaths? Even when a simple Google search would net you what you ask? Honestly!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitzgibbon

I'm getting the distinct feeling that you aren't going to help the OP find what they came for.

Maybe their Google is broken...

AT any rate OP, we use a multipronged manual assault, in which we slather secret sauce on our finger nails.

This message will self destruct in ...5....4...3..2...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimnuggits
reply to post by Fitzgibbon

I'm getting the distinct feeling that you aren't going to help the OP find what they came for.

Maybe their Google is broken...

AT any rate OP, we use a multipronged manual assault, in which we slather secret sauce on our finger nails.

This message will self destruct in ...5....4...3..2...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Well i'd rather hear it from genuine Masons on ATS than trawling through hundreds of websites that may or may not be accurate.

Also - since a lot of masons say they have nothing to hide, i'm curious as to why Masons aren't too keen in revealing this information?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
This was quite an interesting thread from a while back about Gordon Browns strange hand shake.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

What we are saying is that you are asking for the one secret we are given as Masons, that we take an oath not to divulge.

If you are determined to find out what they are, find them yourself, which is easy enough.

But don't ask current Masons, it's bad form.

Since it is but a slightly greater committment than opening a thread here, we don't feel that you are really deserving of our compliance.

You must see that, right?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Well i'd rather hear it from genuine Masons on ATS than trawling through hundreds of websites that may or may not be accurate.
And honestly, in the last 300 years the words and grips might be slightly different from state to state because, well, things change... So even if I did give you the info that's current for Masons in my state, it could, in theory, be different than those given in a neighboring state.

The tokens are symbols. Symbols can be replaced as necessary...

Also - since a lot of masons say they have nothing to hide, i'm curious as to why Masons aren't too keen in revealing this information?
Again, you haven't really come out and asked... What do you want? Us to reveal the grips & words? Or us to discuss the grips and words?

As to why we won't reveal them, it's because we promised not to. Sure, they're in Duncan's Ritual and dozens of other printed sources. But I won't tell you what they are because I gave my word that I would not. If I can keep my promise on something so trivial, it reminds me to be a man of my word in more important things, should they be told to me in confidence.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I am keeping my word and that is more important than appeasing some paranoia you have about the Freemasons. Keeping to my word, my oath, is not a bad thing. I know in this day and age, keeping ones word and being loyal to the Brothers and the Fraternity is something strange, but loyalty and fidelity are something I hold sacred.

Not "spilling the beans" and keeping our word doesn't mean we are untruthful or dishonest. In fact I am being completely honest when I say, I can tell you a great deal about Freemasonry, but there are some things we keep secret, private. One of those things would be the modes of recognition.
edit on 4-12-2011 by KSigMason because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by KSigMason

Paranoia?

I'm not being paranoid, I'm asking a question.

Also what happens if you break the oath?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Well, I keep my word and I promised not to reveal certain things.

When I speak of paranoia, I speak of conspiracy theorists in general who try to get us to break our oaths.

EDIT: If you break your oath, you're expelled.
edit on 4-12-2011 by KSigMason because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

Again, you haven't really come out and asked... What do you want? Us to reveal the grips & words? Or us to discuss the grips and words?

Well as I'm sure you know - there's a lot of mystique and rumours regarding masons and masonic involvement in everything ranging from issues with the law, charity and in some other cases, nasty stuff like child abuse etc.

I'm making no such claims of course, but I'm curious as to how you can be willing to dispel some rumours but without giving anything away.

A lot of masons do say 'we have nothing to hide' but then won't reveal things about themselves.

A few rumours doing the rounds in my local area is that some of the top police are masons and can actively be 'hand in pie' with many of the judges and lawyers in the area, so if that police man was to commit a crime, then with the right signals he would be considered innocent by his masonic brethren and let loose from the crime.

This isn't just limited to my town, but a lot of the masons in the UK have this stigma attached too - and whenever I ask a mason about it, they just go quiet or deny it - despite many cases of corrupt police and judges almost getting away with murder.

Is this true then? With a simple handshake and a few chosen words , can a higher level mason be freed from his own crimes?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

We take an oath of secrecy, true, and we hold it in highest regard.

As well we take other oaths, one of which admonishes us to be law abiding citizens.

Any Mason can break his oath, but is subject to expulsion upon his lodge's knowledge of an illegal action.

We are not above the law.

But neither are we infallible, and it is conceivable that our honorable ranks have indeed hidden the less than noble.

What organization, however good their intentions, has not?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I would say that crossing the ocean the image of Freemasonry does change.

I am always willing to dispel lies, but I cannot compromise my integrity, fidelity, or loyalty, and break my oaths. I mean we've done open houses, interviews, and so on, but it is usually never enough. Like I said, the modes of recognition are off limits, nothing sinister behind my silence. It is only that I am keeping to my word.

With some rumors, there is always claims that nepotism runs rampant in Freemasonry, but as I've said before, nepotism exists with everyone who has some kind of close bond or relationship. If one takes the lessons of Freemasonry, nepotism will be discouraged and should be despised by all good Masons.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I appreciate the replies.

Next question:

Is there anything you'd like to tell me about things that you ARE allowed to talk about, but often find people don't ask. I know in such subjects certain questions are repeated and as you've explained you're sticking to your vows - but what can you tell us about freemasonry, that isn't so secret.

I respect the fact that there's things you can't / won't talk about - but is there anything you'd like to share?

From my understanding a lot of masons have inside business knowledge. A mason who I used to know once gave me a list of telephone numbers to ring that would avoid the expensive costs of 089, 085 numbers and such. A kind of alternative number to ring, to avoid the expensive 089 numbers.

Again is this common knowledge, or just trade secrets? Are you allowed to talk about these things? Is this typically masonic, or just good business knowledge?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

The hand shake (or grip) is secret. Sorry.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

The hand shake (or grip) is secret. Sorry.

You see, this is what makes non-masons very suspicious. We all hear stories of corrupt judges and such, but we then get told masons have nothing to hide. So when non-masons ask questions we get told these things are secret.

By no means am I assuming all masons are corrupt, but from my limited experience they tend to favour material wealth (despite claiming otherwise and claiming spiritual growth) and very often 'look out for their own' - which is a big thing really if the masons are members of law enforcement.

I'm not saying masons are bad or have anything to hide - but you can at least see it from my point of view?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join