It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We name everyting....Yet we no name for our own solar system?!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by brilab45
We need a dang name!

I like to call it Bruce.

edit on 5-12-2011 by spoor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Perhaps we should extrapolate a name base on the names of our orbs in the sky,

Sun

Mercury

Venus

Earth

Mars

Jupiter

Saturn

Uranus

Neptune

= Smvemjsun

Kinda sounds Scandinavian. What do you think?

It sounds like an Icelandic volcano!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Morg234

wich peoples. How about corporate federation of planets

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Perhaps we should extrapolate a name base on the names of our orbs in the sky,

Sun

Mercury

Venus

Earth

Mars

Jupiter

Saturn

Uranus

Neptune

= Smvemjsun

Kinda sounds Scandinavian. What do you think?

That´s sounds like "the Svensson system" then! LOL!
Svensson is the most common surname in Sweden - it would be like if we called it "the Smith system"!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I am with the FLEETADMIRAL on this one...

the home place of the Planet Earth or Terra Firma would denote the whole System and the Star (Sol)
as being the birthplace of all the local 'Terrestrials... to include Humans along with plants/animals/fish

So it is understood by us local Terrestials/Earthmen that the whole local Sun & system of gas planets & rocky planets that comprise our local solar system would be named after the dominant lifeform in that system...

being known as a 'terrestrial' will only be a category denoting one's homeworld ...as new beings are revealed...

one would suppose that 90% of all independent lifeforms (with space travel abilities) would be evolved on terrestial planets... so the term 'terrestrial' would no longer serve as the definition of our Solar System

Each Solar System would refer to their own Star as a local 'Sun' or equivelent name

so...to define our System (home) we would invoke the dominant creature in that system...the beings that conquered the home planets nature & subdued the planet to the subordinate name of Earth...

the Earth & the Earthlings that dominate this region of space ....
We are the 'Earthling' (solar system) inhabitants...
which distinguishes humans from the plant/animal/aquatic kingdoms who share this planet

Humans are Earthlings = the Solar System is therefore 'Earthling'

other lifeforms on Earth are just Terrestial creatures/life...slang would be 'Terrans'

iow...'Earthling' is used as a Proper Noun, as well as an adjective and an adverb, as it were
edit on 5-12-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by brilab45

What I find odd is that you don't recognize that we do have a name for it. It's called Sol. "Research-iness" is next to godliness ya know lol.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ELahrairah
The Wizardplex

The Wizardplex. Definitely The Wizardplex.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I nominate the following
Pimptastic Galactic System
Planetary Swirly McWirly
The Dirt,and Rock wheel
The Awesome System
The Wizardplex

I'm torn between:

and
The Dirt,and Rock wheel

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

I nominate the following
Planetary Swirly McWirly
The Dirt,and Rock wheel
The Awesome System
The Wizardplex

I like the wizardplex

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by rationalistswagger

If you're gonna go for "Wizardplex", then why not "Hogwarts"?

That way, you get wizards, and the side analogy of a place of "training and learning" (a common theme).

Plus, Ms. J. K. Rowling can make even more money, since you have to buy the rights from her!!

She would then become the "Queen Witch" and ruler of all the planets. It's a Win-Win.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Wow, I was so sleepy and tired when I posted this thread. Obviously by my bad spelling was not that great. Thank you all for such great replies. Yes, I did fail to comment further. However, I did not think this thread would go much further than any of my previous threads.

Thanx to everyone. It was definitely a fun post. Just "Wow".

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
Earth and Sun are also quite rediculous and ambgious names for planetary bodies.

I know it's all rooted from old times, I guess Terra would be a better name for Earth even if it means the same, to go with the Sol team, the sun could be Sol then.

Lol, well, i call it sol, of course my language is spanish so we say "sol" and "sistema solar", and that thing with sun/sol is not a problem for us.

Just like we call this planet Tierra, thats not exactly like Terra, but similar enough, so we dont have problems with "why we say extraterrestrial and not extraEARTHestrial lol.

And the moon is Luna, so no problem with "why we call it moon and then we say lunar calendar?".
edit on 5-12-2011 by MonteroReal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx

What I find odd is that you don't recognize that we do have a name for it. It's called Sol. "Research-iness" is next to godliness ya know lol.

I made that point right off the bat. Please read your threads before you reply. Thank you.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Sorry...Brain fart I guess. No offense intended. You know how it is....

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx

Sorry...Brain fart I guess. No offense intended. You know how it is....

No problem. Thanx for the acknowledgement. That means a great deal here. Some folks are way too much into themselves. Star for you.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
The name is known as "Galactic Correctional Facility" but is withheld from the inmates to not make them feel more uncomfortable than they already are.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
It depends on which influence from or related to the SOLsystem reached into the cosmos. So if ET good or Alien bad arrived and had a name on their star maps of this SOL system other then what its called then that name they know it by is related to those who have been here. So the name from Earth is SOLARsystem as other members have said relating it to SOL or the sun. Interesting question have wondered this before what would non Earth native call this region. So we got known here, as far as large spheres Mercury Venus Earth Mars Ceres Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune Pluto Nix Hydra plus 1 known STAR so I would use math in the name and give it minus the planetary moons a name like
(12:1) for 12 large spheres & 1 star 12:1
or ............-.
or ::::::/.
or IIIIIIIIIIII-I
or ooooooooooooO
maybe ************X
guess depends on the observer and their intelligence level.
edit on 12/8/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

If I'm right in believing that the vast majority of astronauts out there in the universe are actually robots working for largely AI-based civilizations, their name for the solar system would probably be something like STAR-SYSTEM 100234913204... possibly indicating its order of discovery. And the name is really nothing more than a serial number by which you can look it up in some giant database.

They wouldn't give the solar system a meaningful name unless it has some kind of special significance within their culture. Since their culture would probably be really different from ours, we wouldn't be able to predict how they go about naming planetary-systems. They probably would never predict the kinds of meaningful names we give stars in our night sky, or what the inspiration for those names are.
edit on 10-12-2011 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join