It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We name everyting....Yet we no name for our own solar system?!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by brilab45

He sent a binary encoded message into space and we got an answer back quite recently, also binary encoded.

Here's some interesting info and research about this crop circle. It's a good read.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by wrathofall
Let's name it "Bob"!

Not that anybody is reading what has been posted numerous times already.

Our system has a name. Our star is called "Sol" so we live in the Solar system.

Which gets a bit confusing because we generically call other Star systems "solar systems" Sort of like how many people will call any small/mid sized four wheel drive off road capable and similar in appearance vehicles a JEEP even though they are not JEEPs.

Also, as already been pointed out Earth is called Terra. So we are technically called Terrans which I like much better than being called "Earthlings" which IMO sounds too much like "Weaklings" But Terrans, now there is a strong sound name especially when sounded out in Klingon.

But if this thread is about renaming the Sol Systems Sun, then I say keep it simple and to the point.

Call it Bob

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

According to the data recieved theres almost 13 trillion aliens out there. Why havnt I seen any???

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

...or Sol for the Sun, but in English-speaking countries, these are poetic terms,

This jumped out at me, from that article. While the Astronomical Society might be one "arbiter" of names, it's interesting to note the term that NASA and JPL use in referring to one full rotation of the planet Mars, when talking about the Rovers on its surface.

They use the word "Sol". It is a substitute for the word "day", but has the same intent. To denote the complete passage of one full planetary rotation. On Mars, it's "about" 24 hours....except, it's a bit longer -- about 39 minutes longer. So, they use "Sol" (or "sol") in reference to "Solar", or the Sun.

That is one Martian "Solar day". It gets confusing, though, when you toss in "sidereal day"...both there, and here on Earth, too!! (But, only star-gazers need be bothered with that).

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
In the fictional Star Trek universe, a planet is designated by its number outward from the named star.

So,

"Ceti Alpha Five" (upon which Khan had been exiled) would be the fifth planet out from the star Menkar (a.k.a., Ceti alpha) in the Cetus constellation and Menkar system.

Therefore, we would be Sol-three in the Solar System.

In other words, our system does have a name-- named after the star, Sol, thus: "Solar"

edit on 4-12-2011 by Frira because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ADMX101

I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you live in the wrong place, are looking in the wrong place, don't have 3rd gen night vision goggles or a myriad of other possible reasons...

Whoever came up with Bob...might I suggest we add an extra letter? To give a more real message you understand.
BYOB! (Bring your own beer)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
*facepalm*

Thanks for the laugh OP

I did not believe people really were that thick but this question proved me wrong.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
We could call it the Tari System.
Or the United Federation Of Planets.
Or...The Galactic Empire.
Maybe just good ol Sol System wouldn't be a bad idea.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Actually there is a name for our solar system. However NASA and the Federal Government deny it exists, just like UFO's and aliens.

To go down the philosophical road though I dont think we should give our solar system a name until the people on it can learn to live as one people - Human.
edit on 4-12-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Well I guess we call it the sol system,but if we are renaming it I like what Slayer said let's call it Bob, or for those who don't like Bob how about Fred?
edit on 12/4/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
As someone pointed out, you call the system by whatever name the natives call it. What do the other nations of the earth call the solar system? I know when I went to Korea, I found out that Koreans in their language are call Han-Guks and Americans are called Mi-Guks. So why would Koreans call the Solar System by the same name?

In reference to the inhabitants being made of meat, I'm afraid the aliens at Area 51 have already identified to the universe that we taste like chicken. He's proof from Google earth that the planet is marked with the universal mark.

i53.photobucket.com...
edit on 4-12-2011 by paraclete1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ADMX101

Are you bliind? Just askin...

Also, about the name for the solar system: Roundsville

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

In Greek the solar system is called the "Heliac system" (the system of "Helios". Helios is the Sun). Earth is called "Gaia" and the Moon is called "Selene".

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Maybe our unnamed solar system is a conspiracy because everyone blames stuff on 'the system'.

Anyway, it's real name is 'The Solar System' not in all lower case.

I'd just call it 'Blonde' and be done with it because like most blondes it's 'way out there'.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
... Actually, it has already been named "Monmatia"... and your planet is named Urantia not "earth or "dirt"

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird

I think you already nailed it. Most common I see is "Sol System". A runner-up might by the "Terran System".

Alright then, off to play Starcraft!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ntzeret

These names have been given by Celestials, not us and to tell you the truth I really doubt that our local system is called Satania or our universe Nebadon. I believe these are just names given just for the purpose of the book, perhaps because of the inability to pronounce the real names in the English language...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by brilab45
Perhaps we should extrapolate a name base on the names of our orbs in the sky,

Sun

Mercury

Venus

Earth

Mars

Jupiter

Saturn

Uranus

Neptune

= Smvemjsun

Kinda sounds Scandinavian. What do you think?

No it doesnt...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frira
In the fictional Star Trek universe, a planet is designated by its number outward from the named star.

So,

"Ceti Alpha Five" (upon which Khan had been exiled) would be the fifth planet out from the star Menkar (a.k.a., Ceti alpha) in the Cetus constellation and Menkar system.

Therefore, we would be Sol-three in the Solar System.

In other words, our system does have a name-- named after the star, Sol, thus: "Solar"

edit on 4-12-2011 by Frira because: (no reason given)

Our planet name, if named like exoplanets would be Sol d
edit on 4-12-2011 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join