It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We name everyting....Yet we no name for our own solar system?!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to [url= by brilab45[/url]

He sent a binary encoded message into space and we got an answer back quite recently, also binary encoded.

ETA The data sent decoded and explained

edit on 4/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

ETA2 Data received and decoded

edit on 4/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA2

Those circles are very interesting indeed, The binary when it was decoded said:

"Beware the bearers of FALSE gifts & their BROKEN PROMISES.Much PAIN but still time.BELIEVE.There is GOOD out there.We oPpose DECEPTION.COnduit CLOSING\"

Pretty cool stuff imo.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
it's called the Solar System. other systems are called by their star name. like the zeta reticuli system.

edit on 4-12-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
When we need to find it im sure we will name it.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
the name of our solar system is The Cap !

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by brilab45

I thought it was already named THE solar system.
But I would like System of Sol, has a little bit of rock star edge to it.

edit on 4-12-2011 by ZeussusZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by brilab45
Why is it that we have no name for our own solar system? Do we just call it our "Solar System"? ......

Anyone else find this odd?

en.wikipedia.org...

But my secret is hidden within me; none will know my name! No, no!

Ma il mio mistero è chiuso in me; il nome mio nessun saprà! No, No!
- il principe ignoto

44 + 2 * i^4
edit on 4-12-2011 by nii900 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   

helpthis system

for fun

are sola system

well they do have their solar system

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Sol means sun in Latin. Should we be the Sol system?

Yes, and that happens to be the name for our solar system on star charts, so we already have a name.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

Just noticed that this thread is a little old, but just in case it is still being followed, HERE is a link to the "meat story".

Not old, doh, read the date backwards.

edit on 4-12-2011 by gamesmaster63 because: oops

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
To my understanding, It is common knowledge that we humans from Earth are called Terran(s) which is pronounced Terr-An). This being the case, Our solar system is called The Terran System.

The United Federation of Planets has a policy on system/planet naming.

Typically named after the first planet to have sentient life present in the system. The Earth system denotes the Earth and Luna (the actual name for "the moon"). So even when we colonize Mars, it wouldn't change. It MAY change if humans were to go extinct and another sentient life form were to form OR to colonize the Terran System after we were extinct and we had not made the system name prevalent to others. And prevalent only means that they knew before coming here. Otherwise, if you named something and no one else knew any different, wouldn't you keep the name you choose even after finding out just because it's easier? If a species were to have named a system, and outsiders named it something different or knew the original species that inhabited it, the new species has no knowledge of the older species or outsider species, the name would change to the one the new species decided unless informed by the outside species of the older name and the new species decides to adopt the older name.

I know that is hard to follow, but look at this example.
Say Humans from Earth make their way to the Vulcan System. We might know it as the Sirius System (just to pick a name for example sake) but when we got there, we found out from the Vulcans that it is know as the Vulcan System. We'd have to change how we know it.

But now lets assume that Vulcans died off before having contact with the rest of the galaxy. When Humans from Earth arrived, we'd still call it the Sirius System. Now we've found the ruins, but cant read anything cause it is completely alien to us. Eons later we find out that it was called the Vulcan System. We could chose to call it Vulcan or Sirius as it is now our decision.

If the Vulcans died off AND had contact with the other parts of the galaxy we Earth Humans would be told the true name of the system either on our way to it OR when we were already there. We "SHOULD" adopt the older name of Vulcan.

That's scenario 1
Scenario 2 is of a newly evolving species.

So the Vulcans are alive and well, and one of the other planets in their system gets a new sentient life form, After following First Contact procedures and the Prime Directive. The Vulcans can inform the new species that their system is actually called the Vulcan System and the new species would have to adopt the new name.

Now lets assume that Vulcans died off before the new species existed. The new species found the ruins, but cant read anything cause it is completely alien to them. Eons later they find out that it was called the Vulcan System. They could chose to call it Vulcan or whatever they choose as it is now their decision.

But now lets assume that Vulcans died off before having contact with the new species (to primitive). The new species found the ruins, but the Vulcans has been studying the New Species and left a message for them using the new specie's language. They could chose to call it Vulcan or whatever they choose as it is now their decision.'

Now the new species evolved in the Vulcan System, and decided to call it the Sirius System (again for example purposes) and the Vulcans had died before the new species, but has contact was made with the rest of the Galaxy. The name is well known to everyone except the new species, when they find out it was known as the Vulcan System, they have the the choice to change or stay the same, however, they should take into consideration that others know it better as Vulcan. Most likely it wont change from Sirius as it will be easier for their population which is now considered Native.

Boils down to "ASK THE NATIVES WHAT THEY CALL IT" (that's the simplified version I was told and how it was explained to me when I was young.

I know most people don't ever think of us as Terrans, just as Humans. Which is technically still correct, but humans born on other planets are still humans with a different name. For example. Humans born on Bajor are Human-Bajorans. Not to sound raciest another example would be Black people from the United States are called African Americans. This works in much the same way. This does not indicate species as the word Hybrid is not part of the description. A Human Bajoran hybrid is having a mixture of DNA from a Human and a Bajoran like a person who is part Anglo-Saxon and part cherokee is a (again, not to sound raciest) white/indian mix. So species is kind of looked at like race when talking about other planets being involved.

But this another full discussion.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by FleetAdmiral

Quite cogent and informed a post; but as a long term fan of Trek I have to correct one point. the Star System that Vulcan resides in is the Epsilon Eridani system, and the Vulcans chose to allow us to continue to call it that since we can't pronounce their name for the system.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
It hasn't been named because humans don't have to give a name to the place they live in, until they're obliged to identify it to other people. Until then, "this place" will do.

On the precedent of human exploration, it could end up being named on inter-galactic maps in one of three ways;

1) The name of the explorer who first found it, eg "the Gingrex system"
2) Some easily pronouncable variant of the name the inhabitants call themselves, eg "the Homen system" or "the Urtling system".
3) The response when the first discoverer lands and asks "What is this place called?", eg "the Omigod system".
edit on 4-12-2011 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   

The name of our planet is the Earth. The name of our moon is the Moon. The name of our solar system is the Solar System.

Notice the capitalization, because when used as names, they are proper nouns. This also helps us distinguish between the planet Earth and earth (meaning soil), between the Earth's Moon and moon (meaning the natural satellite of a planet), and between our Solar System and any other solar systems (since any system containing a star and a planet or a planet-forming disk can be called a solar system.)

This is the English language usage approved by the International Astronomical Union, the body in charge of naming celestial objects. It may seem odd that these important objects don't have names, but if you think about it, it just reinforces their importance. For example, the Moon is the Moon, not just any moon. It requires no other name, because it's the most important moon!

You may read or hear people using Luna for the Moon, or Terra or Gaia for the Earth, or Sol for the Sun, but in English-speaking countries, these are poetic terms, often seen in science fiction stories, but not used by astronomers in scientific writing. In some countries where Romance languages are spoken, these terms are the official names.

It's also interesting to note that most astronomers do not call our galaxy the Milky Way in technical writing--they call it the Galaxy.

Curious About Astronomy.

So there you have it, what is considered not a name is in fact emphasis of the importance of the bodies.
edit on 4-12-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
yea we do.. its called the "Solar System". were you thinking of a proper name? like, milky ways new solar system the destroyer? hows that? the virus of the milky way? hows that one?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ELahrairah
I nominate the following
Pimptastic Galactic System
Planetary Swirly McWirly
The Dirt,and Rock wheel
The Awesome System
The Wizardplex
All Great suggestions. I especially like "The dirt and Rock wheel". It's plain, simple and straight forward.
How about we send out another Voyager offering our nameless Solar System up for galactic corporate sponsorship. Earth based E.G.: T.D. Waterhouse Stadium,
Just by pitching the idea to our universal neihbors(sp) they will know where we're located, being the very notion being so like those "Damn Earthlings"

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Yes we do. Our solar system is called or named the SOL SYSTEM, hence, the SOL-ar System.

Our sun is named SOL. You can even say we live in the SOL STAR SYSTEM.
edit on 4-12-2011 by trekwebmaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by WakeUpRiseUp

Apple would probably buy it.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Thanks for the info!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Let's name it "Bob"!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by manontrial

Seems it is not YOUR strong suit since technically Tearman was correct...

Sol-System

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join