It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We name everyting....Yet we no name for our own solar system?!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by WakeUpRiseUp

Nah I think we should name it Wally-System.

Or in continued arrogance of Man --

The Man System - With a subtext of "Only 600 years ago we thought the world was flat!"

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by brilab45

Originally posted by 74Templar
Generally most star maps call it Sol.

What I find funny is if we send out a signal to the aliens that we are here, what if they don't call it Sol? Could cause masses of confusion... Maybe that's why no-one's found us yet...

Alien 1: "We're receiving a signal sir, they say they are in the Sol System."

Alien 2: "Hmmm, I don't see Sol on any chart, better just ignore it."

Smvemjun... That's awesome

Oh you made me laugh!! We need a dang name!

I wish I could remember the meat story in it's entirety, it basically explains why aliens have never visited us, based on the fact we are made of meat. If someone knows it or has it written down anywhere it would be much appreciated. In addition I used to remember the planets on thier first letters, and it went something like "mister veluchi eats marmalade jam something something, I can't recall the last three planets.

Maybe if we gave the aliens that kind of information they may come-a-visitin'...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird
reply to post by brilab45

What did Carl Sagan do to describe where we live?

Why, math, of course!

"Or, next star, and a little to the right."

Actually, you got me to thinking, so looked up the plaques on Pioneer 10 and Pioneer 11.

Pioneer plaque

Symbolism explained

OK, that was better.....Relative position of the Sun to the center of the Galaxy and 14 pulsars.

Good job!

edit on Sun 4 December 2011 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
There is only ONE solar system, ours, because our star is called "sun" (sol in latin).

So the other systems would be called betelgeuze system, rigel system, sirius system etc..depending what star is in the middle of their systems.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by brilab45

Generally most star maps call it Sol.

What I find funny is if we send out a signal to the aliens that we are here, what if they don't call it Sol? Could cause masses of confusion... Maybe that's why no-one's found us yet...

Alien 1: "We're receiving a signal sir, they say they are in the Sol System."

Alien 2: "Hmmm, I don't see Sol on any chart, better just ignore it."

Smvemjun... That's awesome

Oh you made me laugh!! We need a dang name!

I wish I could remember the meat story in it's entirety, it basically explains why aliens have never visited us, based on the fact we are made of meat. If someone knows it or has it written down anywhere it would be much appreciated. In addition I used to remember the planets on thier first letters, and it went something like "mister veluchi eats marmalade jam something something, I can't recall the last three planets.

I think I will follow Stephen Hawking in saying not to flag down an alien race. It may cause us to be subservient or food.

Scary.

Maybe if we gave the aliens that kind of information they may come-a-visitin'...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Guess it is all a matter of perspective.
What constellation would we be in when viewed from another solar system?
Definitely not what we see in the night sky.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by manontrial
reply to post by Tearman

What?!?
Ever looked up at night time genius?
Astronomy not your strong point huh?

Those are star systems. There is only one star called Sol. That star together with the objects that orbit around it are called The Solar System.

edit on 4-12-2011 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tearman

reply to post by Tearman

What?!?

Those are star systems. There is only one star called Sol. That star and the objects that orbit around it are called The Sollar System.

It is only named sol,cause that is the name we gave it.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

Lets hope not. Shut down all communications immediately! I'm not meaty enough!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I totally agree with this. Never really thought about that before.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Originally posted by Tearman

reply to post by Tearman

What?!?

Those are star systems. There is only one star called Sol. That star together with the objects that orbit around it are called The Solar System.

It is only named sol,cause that is the name we gave it.

All names are given. What is the alternative?
edit on 4-12-2011 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Have to say I agree there, everyone says "oh the aliens are so evolved they would have no use of us as slaves, etc.." You wouldn't travel across billions of miles and many years just to see what's goin on, you'd definetely be taking away a few souvenirs if you had to go that far...

Maybe we should go with something more anonymous.

"Nothing intelligent here to see or take, move along now..."

Oh wait, that is the case...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Tearman

We call it home.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Have to say I agree there, everyone says "oh the aliens are so evolved they would have no use of us as slaves, etc.." You wouldn't travel across billions of miles and many years just to see what's goin on, you'd definetely be taking away a few souvenirs if you had to go that far...

Maybe we should go with something more anonymous.

"Nothing intelligent here to see or take, move along now..."

Oh wait, that is the case...
Probably best for us to turn off all our lights and pretend no one's home. And I'm being serious.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Tearman

I totally agree with you and Stephen Hawking. Blow out the candles and hide!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Just look at many animes/movies/books/tv shows and most of them are earth centric based on our point of view. Wasn't star trek sector zero-zero-one (0, 0, 1)? A lot just called it the solar system. I think Tenchi Muyo mixed solar system and some coordinate system based on Jurian centric cartography. The star gate series choose locations based on constellation intersection in 3d space from the point of view of the origin.

Until we meet some aliens and can reconcile our coordinate/measurement systems we may not have an official name. Just look at the arrogance of an AU being accepted as 92,955,807.3 miles. All physics/astronomy/measurement revolves around our point of view.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
It was already nailed.
Our Sun's name is SOL

This is the Solar system or "SOL- system"
Just like when the star's name is Rigel you have the Rigelen system.
That is why the other name for earth is Sol-three. We live on the third planet in the Sol system.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Bramble Iceshimmer

You are right. Everything does revolve the human eye. We only have five senses and we are probably missing much more that does exist. Good point.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bramble Iceshimmer
Just look at many animes/movies/books/tv shows and most of them are earth centric based on our point of view. Wasn't star trek sector zero-zero-one (0, 0, 1)? A lot just called it the solar system. I think Tenchi Muyo mixed solar system and some coordinate system based on Jurian centric cartography. The star gate series choose locations based on constellation intersection in 3d space from the point of view of the origin.

Until we meet some aliens and can reconcile our coordinate/measurement systems we may not have an official name. Just look at the arrogance of an AU being accepted as 92,955,807.3 miles. All physics/astronomy/measurement revolves around our point of view.

Exactly.Our point of view.
It is very limited,don't you think?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
This was the most fun post I have had. Unfortunately, I am tired and have to go snooze. Thank you for your replies and I bid you all a good night.

Thank you.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join