It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flying robots, the builders of tomorrow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Flying robots, the builders of tomorrow

uk.reuters.com

A team of scientists has demonstrated that a coordinated group of pre-programmed, autonomous robots can do the job of building workers, constructing a six meter high tower without any human intervention.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 4-12-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
If they built such a robot large enough then its possible that a single or multiple robots could be deployed with a line to save lives either in flash floods were humans and rubber zodiacs are simply not an option to be used. I guess these could also be deployed for stranded rock climbers, but you all can begin to see the numerous applications that such a idea could be used.

uk.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
now we just need these little buggers to know how to replicate itself and we can start robotic colonies on other planets. Search for resources, alien life and all other goodies. The future looks bright as long as we get this stupid politcal/corporate mess cleaned up and disarm all nuclear weapons.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
You know what it sounds like to me? Two things:

1. A way to put even more people out of a job in a decent paying field.
2. Another step towards robot sentience

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
So when can we expect an armada of flying helicopters whos sole purpose is the 24 hour surveillance of the American People?

Yeah im paranoid. Just a product of my environment

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
They've been given alot of technology, and are being watched, with chance after chance to bring out the goods for the benefit of the people. All the radiation the dark side is pumping this world with, and all the destruction of the environment, nature, seeds, life, humanity, is being noted. They are accountable. The clock is ticking on them, no matter what they think they'll get away with, and what might be allowed, they are under a ticking clock.

I would much rather they pulled the technology out right now, that neutralizes the radiation, heals the body, and restores the planet. But since they want to play around with corporate nonsense, they're going to realize soon enough that the vineyard was never theirs, the school will be upgraded and the people freed. This is not the technology we need right now. Its ok, but they're bringing this crapola out, to tempt and lure, while they're amping up distruction and torturous murder of millions and more, and amping up their fascism. And its all being noted. They're not off any hooks.
edit on 4-12-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by cconn487
So when can we expect an armada of flying helicopters whos sole purpose is the 24 hour surveillance of the American People?

Yeah im paranoid. Just a product of my environment

That is already happening,

Police in Northern Ireland consider using mini drones
www.bbc.co.uk... ( Oh yeah, people freak out about the U.S. being a military state, perhaps they should take a quick flight to the U.K. and then talk about invasion of privacy )
futurismic.com...
gaycitynews.com...

This thing looks evil even while its on the ground

I strongly recommend you or anyone else to read the pdf in the below link
www.statewatch.org...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

You know this one was a TARGET drone...right?? www.airforcetimes.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

ofc, one way or the other, the future is staring at us. In 50 odd years if not sooner, drones will be a normal part of everyday life, people will simply accept them, after all they are there to protect us.... right ?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
You know what it sounds like to me? Two things:

1. A way to put even more people out of a job in a decent paying field.
2. Another step towards robot sentience

I hope so.
Repetitive manual labour is demeaning to humans, it would be far better to have robots do the meaningless tasks and have humans do more creative work. Why be the builder when you could be the architect?
Robots will never achieve real sentience, they will have pseudo-personalities & a whole list of automatic responses, including the safety of humans, so yes, we need them IMO.
While i can appreciate the Luddite way of thinking "machines will take our jobs"; Yes they will, but at the same time new jobs will arise, someone has to build, program,service, and direct the robots for a start.
Maybe we are too old to change our ways, but our children aren't.
When i was at school, they had just discovered new devices called 'silicon chips' and it was fascinating, but when i tried to explain it to my parents they didn't have a clue what i was talking about.
Now they are taken for granted, just part of everyday life.

edit on 4-12-2011 by playswithmachines because: Typo

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
At the time, i also envisioned 3D multilayer chips using nano-sized transistors, with thousands of connections.
These are now available...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

ofc, one way or the other, the future is staring at us. In 50 odd years if not sooner, drones will be a normal part of everyday life, people will simply accept them, after all they are there to protect us.... right ?

lol
only if you build and program them yourself

these look good for picking up stuff after a earthquake or could be deployed to seek out and latch on like a flying backpack to remove people from harm in a flood but for building? you'd need a group of cement layers human or robotic though.

for building a single robot could do the job methinks

Non-Enclosed 3D Printer Can Build Houses
gizmodo.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

LOL. Protect who, what when where? Yes, I know I am way too late at the party to save anyone from the experimental bromide, but still. Isn't is obvious? It's all been about "proving" humanity worthless, disgusting, evil--they'd sell their own mothers, for God's sake, and btw, who is THAT whole concept of god, anyway, but for the antiquated, less than intellectual, naturally afflicted "humanity" anyway--when we can just do it all with a cleaner, more controllable piece of metal, which allows immediate plausible deniability, since we can just say it was whomever programmed that machine, and was currently in control.....

new topics

top topics

join