It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GeoEngineering Could Save Earth... Or Destroy It.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I find it interesting that some of the worlds leading scientists are seriously considering going forward with testing and implementation of geoengineering by spraying aerosols and other measures. At the United Nations Conference on climate change, a 65 page report was released to kickstart the discussions among nations.

"In the United States, a group of 18 U.S. experts from the sciences, social sciences and national security unveiled a report in October urging the federal government to begin research on the feasibility and potential effectiveness of geoengineering."

This is getting scary as nobody knows what the side effects may be.

I haven't read the entire report and would appreciate a link if someone has it.

Now they aren't saying they have even begun the process of determing feasability but my gut tells me the tests have already begun.

Any thoughts?
www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 12/19/2011 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit-- Please Use EXE Tags for external content.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Goldcurrent

My personal thoughts are that this is simply putting a pretext to explain what is already happening. Chemtrails anyone?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
My thought is death.
Death is stinky.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

My personal thoughts are that this is simply putting a pretext to explain what is already happening. Chemtrails anyone?

If this isnt the first thing that comes to your mind, I would say there is a lot of work to be done to awaken your mind!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Goldcurrent

"In the United States, a group of 18 U.S. experts from the sciences, social sciences and national security unveiled a report in October urging the federal government to begin research on the feasibility and potential effectiveness of geoengineering."

This is getting scary as nobody knows what the side effects may be.

Which is precisely why they are investigating it - IF geoengineering ever does become the best option it would be good to know what its side effects are before using it - don't you think??

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

You'e half right:

....some of the worlds leading scientists are seriously considering going forward with testing and implementation of geoengineering by spraying aerosols and other measures.

Even three-quarters. Note, the words "worlds scientists". It is an International interest and study.

The word "testing" is also apt. However, "implementation" is a bit premature. At least, in terms of any sort of concerted, and Internationally agreed-upon program or policy.

And of course, you are also correct about the unknown "consequences" that could occur. Thus, the abundance of caution and thought going into all of this, especially when it comes to direct, intentional atmospheric tampering of any kind. Not to also mention, the extreme cost of such a program, once one is selected (IF one is chosen).

Meanwhile, those studies continue, and there are other less "proactive" measures that can be used....passive sorts of common sense options. Look into all of the literature, and you will see various methods that DON'T involve any "spraying" by airplanes or other aircraft, but are done on the Earth's surface.

Google "surface albedo geoengineering", for just one example. There are some ideas involving ships at sea, and sea water blasted up into the air, from the surface. Etc......

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Research has begun. In the form of computer modeling and laboratory work. As you look deeper you'll find that even the strongest advocates of geoengineering stress that the research is in its infancy and much more research of that type must be done before real world testing would even be considered.
www.see.ed.ac.uk...
www.agu.org...
news.softpedia.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Why is any of this needed at all? Are the suns rays that radioactive? What kind of info aren't they telling us? Do fractions of a degree necessitate even entertaining the thought of spraying sulfur dioxide in the skies?
edit on 4-12-2011 by Goldcurrent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

No. The current situation does not require geoengineering techniques to be implemented. But, at some time in the future, if the climate begins to change enough to be problematic it would be good to have some options available.

But SRM is not the only geoengineering technique on the table and sulfur injection is not the only SRM technique being suggested.
edit on 12/4/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

I didn't say it was needed - I said IF it is needed it would be better to know what it was going to do than not know.

I am not sure what radioactivity has to do with it, but you might have heard of this thing called global warming - and whether it is man-made or natural, it has the potential to do a lot of damage.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Researching something does not mean you intend to use it.

The United States has spent billions of dollars researching the best ways to drop atomic bombs on Russia, killing millions of people.

That does not mean they intend to do it. Some things just need researching in case you need to do it in the future

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Why do I feel like a person cannot post even a factual report on Geo-Engineering in the Geo-Engineering Category without sensing hostility from certain members? It is like the fangs are out before any allusions can even be made?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

It's because you did not simply posted it, you said:

my gut tells me the tests have already begun.

Which I think was what people were reacting to.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I haven't read the entire report and would appreciate a link if someone has it.

In the future it would be helpful to read the article before making a thread on it.

Now to the article.

First

Who would decide where and when to conduct experiments, and where to set the global thermostat? What would happen if a country acted on its own without an international agreement? Would it discourage efforts to reduce reliance on fossil fuels and reduce carbon emissions?

This sums up the reason why geo engineering is not being done globally on a large scale. So no matter how much you study and research it implementing it is a whole other ballgame.

In the United States, a group of 18 U.S. experts from the sciences, social sciences and national security unveiled a report in October urging the federal government to begin research on the feasibility and potential effectiveness of geoengineering.

Now you can see that the federal gov't is being asked to begin research and potential effectiveness. You realize that geo engineering hasn't even gotten past the research and feasibility stage yet.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I read the customary Associated Press article but not the entire 65 page UN report (as originally posted) smart guy.

I would bet dollars to donuts you didn't read the entire report either.

The gist of the report is summed up pretty well in the article though and regardless, there are those (with tremendous sway) that think it's feasibly viable to spray aerosols containing sulfer dioxides and what have you, into the atmosphere to counter-act the sun's potency. (or whatever flavour of the day carbon emission/greenhouse/global warming/climate changing bull***) *opinion*

This is fact.

I made my OPINION clear that I believed contracted tests are already underway without any solid proof otherwise.
Hence the gut feeling comment. I will continue to provide any evidence the gov'ts decide to trickle out re; Geo-Engineering at their turtle pace.

You can all gang bang to your greatest desires, but I am making no outrageous claims here, only providing little bits to connect any dots that inquiring minds may seek.

Peace out.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   

I would bet dollars to donuts you didn't read the entire report either.

In MY case, you would LOSE that bet......and I will not hold you to that "wager", of course.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   

I might 'respect' anothers' "opinion" on something.....there is a mutual RESPECT that is assumed...or should be assumed...each AND every timel

Just stop to think about it....

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

I see how you defend your buddy here, but it was implied that I did not even read the article I linked to.

That shows lack of respect on my thread.

new topics

top topics

join