It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Followers of the bible

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Q:1984A:1776

Actually, there were several prophecies attributed to Jesus that failed to come true. Here are two among many:
Matthew 10:23, Jesus told his disciples that he would return before they could go over all the cities of Israel with the gospel. The gospel has since been preached all throughout Israel, & continues to be so with christian television now, & still Jesus hasn't returned.
Mark 14:62, Jesus told the high priest that he would live to see Jesus' second coming. Of course the high priest died before Jesus returned.

Jesus did return before the disciples could go to all the cities in israel. 3 days after He was crucified He returned.

the same with the high priest. He came for a second time when He was resurrected 3 days after His crucifixion.
it was during the high priest's lifetime.

i think coming back from the dead qualifies for a second time on earth.

edit on 3-12-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Heredity is the accumulation of past information expressed in the later generations. Many people assume heredity deals simply with outward physical traits and attributes but here is much more going on at deeper levels not seen by the naked eye nor microscope.

The organ of the consciousness is the brain. Waking outward consciousness is an expression of the individual mind. Experiences gained through a lifetime pass through to the subconscious mind which is also passed down through the generations like eye color and aptitude for physical and intellectual pursuits.

The exact details of the Bible can be interpreted, misinterpreted, construed and misconstrued. It is the fact that Jesus lived and he brought an important message to humanity and what he stood for that resonates at Truth with many millions of persons Christians and non Christians regardless of the details.

Many mortal men have gained power over others as being "true" purveyors of Jesus' message. They were and continue to be false prophets.

The secret Jesus was trying to impart upon his disciples and thus the rest of the world is EVERYBODY can perform all the miracles attributed to Jesus and much, much more.

The devil is also aware of this fact. Down through the generations he has also imbued many men with power he falsely attributes to himself and deceives the ignorant into worshiping him. As more people wake up to the fact that each and every one of us has been given by God, all the ability to perform miracles, the deception will be perfectly clear.

Everyone desires power over their environment to lead productive and abundant lives. Why settle for a pathetic imitation born out of hate and lust when you can have the real thing born out of love and charity and TRUTH?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by WakeUpRiseUp
Hmm funny that,
no one seems to have an answer.

An answer to what? turn off the tv dude and read a book.
You don't seem to have a clue.
If your mom told you it was time for bed and to put on your blue pajamas, would you comb your hair because your dad is bald?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Hmm funny that,
no one seems to have an answer.

I have an answer! In reference to your charge that Jesus is a false prophet, warned against by the God of the Old Testament, we have only to look at the name of this God. At the burning bush, He identified Himself to Moses as "I AM THAT I AM." Well, that is usually how the name is rendered in many translations, but that name is the four-letter tetragrammaton, the hebrew letters HE-VAV-HE-YOD, sometimes rendered as Yahweh. Now, let's look at the ancient meanings of these letters:

HE - lo, see, behold, as in a window

VAV - a peg, nail, or hook

YOD - the Hand

So - we can read this name as "Behold the Hand, Behold the Nail." Jesus is not a false prophet warned against by the God of the OT, He IS the God of the OT. Any more questions???

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by WakeUpRiseUp

Jesus fulfilled numerous prophecies , proving he was the son of God. Its your problem if you dont heed the warnings as well. Have you not read the bible?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

look up a biblical time line. We are out of time.... When you see these things, look up , your redemption draweth near! Maybe he was talking to me, and not you. You decide.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TylerDurden2U

look up a biblical time line. We are out of time.... When you see these things, look up , your redemption draweth near! Maybe he was talking to me, and not you. You decide.

I think we have to wait for the anti-christ to show up in Jerusalem. Every generation thinks it is the end times.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

thats at the midpoint of the tribulation as i understand it. Imo we have 2 1/2 more years before then... wasnt there a peace deal in 2009 or 2010 with israel? i could be wrong about everything and the times just suck, and there is nothing biblical about it.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by WakeUpRiseUp

Why do you ignore the word of your god in the old testament for the word of someone your god specifically warned you about, aka Jesus.
It is well known that the old testament warns of false prophets, people claiming to speak the word of god, devils with magical powers to deceive etc…

What exactly makes you think Jesus was a false prophet?
Can you quote some scripture please?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 547000

I think we have to wait for the anti-christ to show up in Jerusalem. Every generation thinks it is the end times.
This anti-christ thing to me is completely bogus. Where this idea comes from is 2 Thessalonians which is most likely a forgery and not by Paul and evidence points to a very late date for its writing. The consensus is basically that Paul was expecting a second coming to happen right away and that explains his urgency in his preaching, that people had to prepare for this world ending event. Once Paul had died, there was a move to kind of explain that away so someone came up with this idea to say there was something or someone standing in the way, to prevent Jesus from returning. So whoever wrote 2 Thessalonians presented a mysterious figure called the man of sin who would be revealed as someone in the temple representing himself as god. It really does not work for me and I take the view of the biblical scholars who don't accept 2 Thessalonians as authentic. I go a step further in that I don't see Paul promoting an imminent world ending event, such as people have today about Apocalypse and all that rubbish that goes with it. I believe Paul firmly believed in a real spirit of Christ which changes our lives to be better people and that we need to be better people in order for the world to be healed. There is nothing in Paul's message about the world having to be destroyed first.
edit on 7-12-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TylerDurden2U

I realize I may seem nit-picky but this is misquoted unless you have some verse in mind I don't know about.
There are two verses similar to this, Luke 21:28, and Mark 13:29, but neither has the word, see, in it.
Now you can put the two verses together from Luke, verses 21:27 and 28 but then you get somthing very odd, but you get the word, see, in there.

At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.
When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads,
because your redemption is drawing near."

All I can say in response to that is, "Huh?"
If you look and see the Son of Man "coming in a cloud" wouldn't you think that was about it?
I mean, you see the Son of Man, up in a cloud, then you somehow come to the understanding that the time is near?
I haven't done that verse yet but I did do a translation of the related verse in Mark after I saw the post which I am replying to now. The interesting word in it is, ginōskō, which means to come to an understanding, as in something you reason out and come to a conclusion about. In Mark, you figure this thing out, then you know that it is at the door, when these things come about.
I worked on the verse in Mark because I had this idea that Luke was working off the Mark quotation, but added something to it, which to me makes it sort of nonsensical. Looking at the two verses from Luke I have to conclude that the two things are somewhat unrelated, the coming in clouds and the redemption. If they were the same thing, then one would have nothing to figure out, and you would have nothing to wait for.
To make sense, at least to me, you have to think of this in a metaphorical sense, where the coming of the Son of Man in power is a past historical event and that our redemption is something that happens on a personal level in each person's lifetime, once they understand the who and what of Jesus as our savior.

edit on 7-12-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

lol if i understood the bible eh.... thanks i needed a laugh. Jesus taught love my friend, the devil is the love of materialism... I never said the bible is straight forward... its complicated. As you can tell by the state of christianity
Its impossible to ever understand a fiction book, your ideas are only opinion; just like mine but at least they have some biblical backing as other people in this thread have clearly shown.
If the devil is the love of materialism, isn’t jesus the materialism of god and 'love'?

The bible is fiction FULL STOP
Biblically speaking my opinion has more legs then yours.

Bibically speaking... Jesus rejected the devils temptations...

Bibically speaking... Jesus had no need for material objects, and taught the love of such things is the wrong path

Why do you ignore the word of your god in the old testament for the word of someone your god specifically warned you about, aka Jesus

Bibically speaking... the OT God is not my God... and not the true God (IMHO)

Bibically speaking... The OT did not warn anyone about Jesus being a false prophet...

So, bibically speaking.... where are your "legs" now?

edit on 7-12-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Yeah, that one!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Many catholic seers have prophesied about a man who would rise in Jerusalem, perform miracles, and claim that he and not Jesus is Christ.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

That sort of thing happens all the time.
People making claims, big deal.
My thing is about people predicting the end of the world.
I just don't see it.
This is not from lack of being propagandized, seeing how I am a Seventh Day Adventist, where the advent in the name means the second coming. All that stuff seems really gimmicky when you learn enough through study, as compared to the normal fair which is being handed a list of verse segments all jumbled together to form some almost coherent story about something or other that is going to happen. After doing some serious reading and thinking I have come to reject all this apocalyptic nonsense as a lot of ignorant people misinterpreting the Bible for one reason or another.
Serious intelligent people who are well educated in biblical matters don't go for the popular scare stuff that sells books about end times.

edit on 8-12-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
They did not say the end is now, though. They just said how it would be.

These are the type of people who develop stigmata or have some other miracle happening. These aren't some nut with a website claiming Donald Duck is of the devil.
edit on 8-12-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Oh those people making the predictions.
Do you know any of them and have you talked to any of them?
Back in like 1979 there was this real popularly discussed phenomenon where a Christian person would be driving along some lonely road and they would see somewhere, apparently in the middle of nowhere, a person walking along, so the driver would stop and ask the person if they might want a ride. This ordinary looking sort of person would get in the car and at some point, seemingly out of the blue, this person would say, "You know, the Lord is coming very soon." and the rider in these stories would be always sitting in the back seat, which in itself I find a little odd, but it adds to the drama of the telling, so the Christian driver who normally never thought about things like Jesus suddenly appearing, maybe because he did not belong to that kind of church, would turn around to look at the rider in the back seat who had just said this very peculiar thing, and the person would have just vanished, from a moving car, without any of the doors having been opened.
Then, you would have a preacher on Sunday morning telling his congregation that he "had heard this story and it had to be true because it had come from a reliable source, and it was about someone who this 'source' knew personally and was of the highest reputation for being an honest man, and please, members of the congregation, believe this story and take it to heart and know that Jesus is coming again and is sending angels to appear to people like this and similar stories are being reported from all over the country, all from 'reliable sources' coming from actual personal events involving credible honest Christians, so know that it is going to happen and any day now."
Thirty years later, these predictions of just any day, as in maybe tomorrow, Jesus was coming , by actual angels appearing like practically everywhere, never quite panned out. This was before the internet but is an example of an internet style hoax. People start these stories circulating around and because they credit the sources, they just accept it as real. I remember listening to an author on the radio being interviewed who was an investigator who tried to track these stories down to the actual people who had supposedly reported these personal events. He traveled all over the country and interviewed tons of people and followed all the leads but never found a single person who told him something like this ever happened to them. So, the next day, when I had told people what I had heard on this late night radio show, they became very angry with me and said I was an unbeliever. I had to explain to them that is was not someone saying, yes this happened to me, and someone else saying, no I don't think that happened to you. It was no one saying this happened to them. Just stories about unnamed people who had this happen to them.
edit on 8-12-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Well, I trust the canonized saints. Not to sure about people who claim that the Spirit told them or moved them to do everything. Unless a voice in your head really tells you something, it is best not to claim any spirit told you anything, or you will be bearing false witness.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Why are people even posting in this thread? I can't understand the ignorance of the Bible around the faith forum?? Its insane really, and embarrassing.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
The first time that Jesus is prophecied or mentioned in the old testament is,

Ge 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Now the whole chapter of Isaiah chap. 53: is about as good and as clear as any of the ones by Matt., Mark Luke and John.

Another Chapter is Dan. 9 and the 70 weeks of yrs. allotted to the Jews and Jesus Christ being crucified in the middle of that 70'th one.

And there is much more but take them or leave them each is free to choose.

Sibbs.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join