It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for theists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
This is a hypothetical question.
Please only answer the question, please don’t go off topic because I will not respond.

If the Vatican was to one day announce that Jesus had returned and on TV they showed you a white guy in robes who performs some miracle (explainable by special effects) and the pope tells you that this is the real Jesus. Would you listen to everything Jesus says and would you follow all his commands?
Its easy to say that you wouldn’t do anything bad but it is known fact that humans will always follow orders when others do and they are capable of doing horrible things, for example German solders in ww2

This question is not specific for just followers of the church but any religion and who ever your leaders may be.

Now thats a straight forward question, so please lets hear some yes and no answers obviously with explinations.

Good day
edit on 3-12-2011 by WakeUpRiseUp because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-12-2011 by WakeUpRiseUp because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Before I answer let me acknowledge that I already know who and what you are.

That being said.....

No "Christians" would not, but "Catholics" might.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher
Before I answer let me acknowledge that I already know who and what you are.

That being said.....

No "Christians" would not, but "Catholics" might.

I guess I'm a troll right?
Well its not specific to just christians but followers of all religions and whoever their leader might be.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
It really depends on what the alleged "Jesus" said.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by WakeUpRiseUp
[more
No. Yes, I am a Christian. But, Jesus does not support the Catholic church and they do not support Jesus. Secondly, Jesus stated that in the last days there would be many false Christ, performing many false miracles. Thirdly, if Jesus were to reveal Himself to me, then, yes, I would do all that He ask of me as much as in my ability. Forth, When Jesus was on the face of the earth the first time, many, including his deciples, failed Him many times.
Seeashrink

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
It is stated in the Bible that Jesus will make his return in an unmistakable way for all to see. It has nothing to do with leaders. If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe Jesus mentioned TV or the pope when he explained the circumstances.

I'll have to say NO to your question.

link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme
It really depends on what the alleged "Jesus" said.
If you would follow some things its likely you would follow all things.

link   

It's not NOW seeing as you changed the title from A question to CHRISTIANS to THEISTS.

I stand by my first comment.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeashrink
[more
No. Yes, I am a Christian. But, Jesus does not support the Catholic church and they do not support Jesus. Secondly, Jesus stated that in the last days there would be many false Christ, performing many false miracles. Thirdly, if Jesus were to reveal Himself to me, then, yes, I would do all that He ask of me as much as in my ability. Forth, When Jesus was on the face of the earth the first time, many, including his deciples, failed Him many times.
Seeashrink
Sorry my OP wasnt too good, but its ment to be a question for any follow of a religion and not just about jesus or whatever.
Intresting you say all that because god actually warns you of people like jesus in the old testament yet people were quick to follow him and forget the word of god

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by zarp3333

Exactly.

Because according to scripture, when he comes back, he aint coming to "talk" and he wont be needing any one to "Introduce him to the world"

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Ok lets ditch the POPE and vatican scenario because apparently Catholics are the spawn of the antichrist.
Say Jesus showed up with Pat Robertson on the 700 hundred club would all the op asked still apply?

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by zarp3333
It is stated in the Bible that Jesus will make his return in an unmistakable way for all to see. It has nothing to do with leaders. If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe Jesus mentioned TV or the pope when he explained the circumstances.

I'll have to say NO to your question.
Doesnt god in the old testament warn you of people like jesus? You seem happy to ignore the word of your god over someone he warned you about.
The question isnt ment to be so specific as it was but the fact is most true followers do what theyre percievied saviour says. This is the power that religion holds over people.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

That's an interesting question, and one I've pondered for a while now. Not for myself, mind you, but I have wondered how and if Christians would follow a guy if he claimed to be the legitimate return of Christ and was backed by the church.

Let me rephrase your question in a slightly different manner to see what kind of responses we get:

"If the Pope along with several other leaders from different Christian denominations were to one day announce that Jesus had returned, and in person they showed you a black guy in a t-shirt and jeans who performs some miracle (unexplainable by special effects or logic) and these leaders assure you that this is the real Jesus. Would you listen to everything Jesus says and would you follow all his commands, even if those commands were of a questionable moral nature?"

edit on 3-12-2011 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
No
I follow no one. Could care less who or what they claim to be. I have neither a need nor use for any leaders.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

Thanks for that fugitivesoul!
It is a very intresting and worrying question.
I ask it to people because it is obvious to me that religions hold this power over its true followers, yet people still blindly trust them none the wiser. A good example is the power of a cult on its followers, this is just a religion that chooses to use the power all religions hold. What happens when a religion like christanity decides to use that power, we could see mass genocide, murder, rape, slavery the list goes on..

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by WakeUpRiseUp
...we could see mass genocide, murder, rape, slavery the list goes on...

We already have seen these things in the name of religious power... and without the need of a messiah to administer these commands.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ELahrairah

OMG

Same difference. I wouldn't trust a single thing.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

I STILL would not.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Oh, I thought you had a question for me, as I am a theist myself....

However you are clearly addressing Christians.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

...and on TV they showed you a white guy...who performs some miracle...

I found Jesus! (Just skip to 2:45):

top topics

<<   2 >>

join