It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 terabyte hard drive

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
I would like to have it but at $1100, I will pass...WOuld be nice to have to not work about space for a while. Actually I would rather have a 35GB DVD.

You could always get 4x250gb for $140 each, that would only be $560.

Personally i have 700 gigabytes of storage space, i'm still working on filling it up though

thats 0.7 terabytes

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by crispexi

I would like to have it but at $1100, I will pass...WOuld be nice to have to not work about space for a while. Actually I would rather have a 35GB DVD.

Personally i have 700 gigabytes of storage space, i'm still working on filling it up though

thats 0.7 terabytes

If your buying 250 gb hard drives for $140 - your an idiot.

Most peoples hard drives are full of things that are only on theres. Would you trust all your family pictures on something that will probably burn out in a couple years?

Hears some advice people, if your gonna buy a hard drive dont get some off the wall cheapy, or a used one, I personally would recommend MAXTOR.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

Originally posted by crispexi

thats 0.7 terabytes

If your buying 250 gb hard drives for $140 - your an idiot.

Most peoples hard drives are full of things that are only on theres. Would you trust all your family pictures on something that will probably burn out in a couple years?

Hears some advice people, if your gonna buy a hard drive dont get some off the wall cheapy, or a used one, I personally would recommend MAXTOR.

Hey now, i'm not selling my personal hard drives, nor am i buying used ones from people. That's the price you can get off pricewatch.com, i bought it somewhere else though. And they are brand new WD's. I had 2 WD's fail on me in my lifetime, i have a wd one that is used 24/7 now for the past 5 years, and its been used way longer than that and is still going strong. so it's not some cheap crap i found on sale somewhere. i know about hardware.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 12:35 AM
link   
here's one of your beloved maxtors for the same price, just a dollar more.

Maxtor - 6Y250P0

ORIGINAL Maxtor 250GB 7200rpm 8MB SED SEALED BAG EIDE 250.0GB 7200 RPM 8MB BUFFER
Total - $141

Price - $141
Shipping -
FREE DHL GROUND
(found on pricewatch.com)

i just know a good deal when i see one, i wouldnt buy used second hand drives for the same price i could get them brand new.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
6-8 years before 1Tb becomes standard? 120Gb is already standard where I work, and for power users we use mirrored 160Gb drives. Heck, our tech machine has 300Gb capacity and on average I need to go through and clean old client ghost images off every two weeks to make room.

IMO the technology used in our current drives has no future. Bigger, denser platters = more room for errors. Faster spinning drives = more heat & noise = more power consumption... not to mention you can only go so fast before the drive will literally spin itself to pieces. Also bigger capacity generally means slower access times.

This article talks about nanotubes that can theoretically hold upto 10Gb.. bang a couple million of those together and you've got some pretty impressive storage capacity. Mass pirating ... sorry, I mean, "backups" here we come

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I remember reading about these drives. Actually from what I've seen to call it a drive is really incorrect. I believe its a stand alone IDE raid array. With the new Toshiba 400 gig drives I could build me a 1.6tb raid array in my system. No external box needed.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
i could use a 1 terabyt hard disk... or two...

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:04 AM
link   
As a professional in the I.T. industry, I can tell you that storage is not the issue these days, it's the ability to retrieve the data quickly. Your traditional HDD whether it be IDE, or SCSI are going to fall by the wayside. New technologies such as Solid State Disks (SSD) are going to rapidly take thier places. We can already see that flash ram technolgy is establishing a foothold in our everyday lives.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 05:11 AM
link   
1TB HDD are going to be an option soon on most PCs. I know I could easily use up one in no time with just my games, movies, and MP3's.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
It is easy to fill 1 terabyte. About 5-10 years ago, first computer. "You will never fill 6 gigs, that's impossible" I now have that much in about 4 games. Not to include music, movies, pictures(bunnies!), stuff like that.

Actually, I fill up 6 gigs with just one game. And since I'm the kind of person who likes to store media in a very organized manner (and as much as possible) I really like the idea of a HD that size becoming standard.
BUT I also think we should concentrate more on archiving, compressing and encoding, so to have big quantities using little space.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 05:29 AM
link   
You know all this talk about terrabytes etc...How will the data be stored though, will it be like a normal hard disk, or will it be done with other technology, cos I once read that it might be possible to create a storage device with many terrabytes of data, in a small space via holotechnology or lasers. I think it was on:

www.howstuffworks.com

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I'm using a 60 Gig hard drive, and it's already full, I only have 2 gig left, so it's going slooooow.

I'd really like to save all the stuff, but i cant be btoehred burning them to cd. If i had a dvd player then maybe it would be worth the time. But a CD? Hell no. It doesn't store enough information. How many cd's am i going to have to burn? A full 50 pack? $25....but my valuble time and labelling those cd's. Get serious. yes 3 mins to burn a cd. Whoope. Still doesn't save enough information. All i will be saving is my mp3's. Thats it.

Oh yeah. And i dont have any games worth mentioning on this hard drive. A couple demo's of some games, and a full game here or there. But these aren't new games taking up gigs and gigs of space. These are old games like C&C red alert, and warcraft, starcraft. Hell i dont even have CS since it got updated to version 1.6. Oh yeah and for those who think that Quake 1 was a small 33 meg game, (or 66 meg game?), think again. I had quake 1 at 1.2 gig.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   
The one thing you all have to understand that I.T. technology is advancing so fast that no one can really keep up with it. As soon as a new and improved "something" comes out two months later it's obsolete.

If you guys want to be blown away with compression technology check out this these guys have been able to compress 1.6 gigs of data into a 64k .exe. On the front page download the zip file from fr-08: .das .produkt "final party" and be prepared to be awe'd!

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by rancid1
The one thing you all have to understand that I.T. technology is advancing so fast that no one can really keep up with it. As soon as a new and improved "something" comes out two months later it's obsolete.

If you guys want to be blown away with compression technology check out this these guys have been able to compress 1.6 gigs of data into a 64k .exe. On the front page download the zip file from fr-08: .das .produkt "final party" and be prepared to be awe'd!

rancid1, thats amazing and here i've been using UPX for all my compression needs. Its not like I use compression that much.

E_T

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I would keep developing new data storage technology bigger priority than making terabyte HD. Those capacities can be achieved with RAID-arrays (expecially with SCSI).

Current HDs are very slow, produce lot of heat and noise, especially faster ones. And especially heat problem just gets bigger when you put more than one HD to PC.

BTW, all Maxtors I've seen keep very loud read/write noise. (and some years ago their reliability wasn't so good, storagereview.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
I had to find out how much a terabyte actually was and according to a line in the following article from Cnet.com "A terabyte would be equivalent to 37,000 books."

"If digitized with full formatting, the 17 million books in the Library of Congress contain about 136 terabytes of information; five exabytes of information is equivalent in size to the information contained in 37,000 new libraries the size of the Library of Congress book collections," the report stated. Hard drives absorbed about 2 exabytes of the total..........................

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Don`t mean to be picky, but why not...
It says 17 million books would equal 136 TB. Now, it we took 17 mil and divided by 136, we would come out with 125,000 book for 1 TB. 37,000 Libraries would equal 2 exabytes, which are larger than terabytes.

Now, that is alot!

E_T
would keep developing new data storage technology bigger priority than making terabyte HD. Those capacities can be achieved with RAID-arrays (expecially with SCSI).

Current HDs are very slow, produce lot of heat and noise, especially faster ones. And especially heat problem just gets bigger when you put more than one HD to PC.

Raid Arrays are the way to go for large storage machines, but they are very very expensive and outside most of our capabilities in cost.

Yes, the drives produce alot of heat, but most of the noise attributed to hard drive noise/computer noise is the fan itself. I am sure one the speeds move up, we will need more sophisticated ones. There are already some very good water cooling systems to keep the processors and systems running cool. The thing I would worry about is speed, it will take a long time to search for a file on a 1 TB drive, the speed will have to be increased quite a bit. Now, the RAID Arrays are much much quicker as the drive information is stored on other disks as well, to provide a compelte backup if a drive goes down and is very fast for reading data. But, the write speed is alot slower on RAID Arrays as the data needs to be spread out over the disks. But, compared to the average home machine, still quicker.

Just some thoughts

[edit on 7-9-2004 by JCMinJapan]

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Uhhhh E_T did you even read my replies? Here, google these and you will see that the new technologies are available.

1. Solid State Disks
2. [url=http://www.farb-rausch.com/[/url]

These tech's are far superior than any HDD's. Raid is just a messurement of redundancy.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Two years ago I had my computer build with 80 gb of memory and 512 rams and the best graphic card now two years later I am still some what on the top, and I keep my hard drive clean (thanks to cds for storing data) but now instead of upgrading and I have plenty space to upgrade, I want a new computer I am planning to get one next month so what will be the best graphic card now? I have a nvidia on my present computer and is still considered the best.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Two years ago I had my computer build with 80 gb of memory and 512 rams and the best graphic card now two years later I am still some what on the top, and I keep my hard drive clean (thanks to cds for storing data) but now instead of upgrading and I have plenty space to upgrade, I want a new computer I am planning to get one next month so what will be the best graphic card now? I have a nvidia on my present computer and is still considered the best.

If your a little strapped for cash and cant pull out the benjamins for a AlienWare, then I would suggest New Egg, it has good deals and the rate things if your not sure whats good and whats not so good, and yes there's always Price Watch, but I find that they oftenly have broken links or things to see, but you cant buy them there.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   

DaRAGE
I'm using a 60 Gig hard drive, and it's already full, I only have 2 gig left, so it's going slooooow.

You could just do what I do, first off buy another hard drive, then copy and paste all the stuff you want to save like pictures and music and movies or whatever and you paste them in your new hard drive, then format your C: Drive and then re-install windows and move all you saved stuff back on to the other one.

I did that to mine last weekend and did it all in under a day. I format my computer 2-3 times a year, so its become very easy to do.

Also LordGoofus, I was not talking about servers or businesses, I was referring to the average joe.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join