It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 terabyte hard drive

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
But could u fill it? For those who are not sure 1 terabyte is just over 1000 gigabytes. These will probably be standard within most pc in a couple of years.

www.computeramerica.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
thats all very dandy - but how many weeks will it take to bacup all that data?

interestingly - my 8 gig drive is just about havin trouble with larger applications now.

I fondly look back at my "commodore amiga" , and its rather excellent operating system - which would give anything mircocrap could design a run for its money - ohh lets not forget the operating system was chip based - ie pull the chip and replace with a rather inexpensive update.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
mm i love my 14 gigs. 1 terabyte eh.. seems unnecessary, but your right, soon enough it will be standard with most PCs.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
It is easy to fill 1 terabyte. About 5-10 years ago, first computer. "You will never fill 6 gigs, that's impossible" I now have that much in about 4 games. Not to include music, movies, pictures(bunnies!), stuff like that.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
great, I am waiting for it to become sub 500 dollars. Thanks for the heads up.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
When I told my son about this new terabyte, he came asked me if I knew what terabyte stand for then he said It means TERROR BITE THE hard drive, I have not clue what that means he just left laughing at my face.

I wonder why do we need such a large hard drive but then we has seen how bigger hard drives brings bigger size downloads.

I wonder if the megabytes are going to become obsolete.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
it would be a good thing to make the hard drive faster too....anything higher than the fastest of 10k rpms maybe 1mil rpms

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I currently have 2.3TB of personal data in storage, comprised of movies, music, games, apps, pictures and actual data.

Theres alot of people out there that work with computers all day and every day that welcome large disks like this.

A Korean friend of mine currently has 1.36 TB of Anime and manga's on DVD, while he still has about 6 TB of those video's and manga scans on harddrives and tapes.

Once everyone starts to enjoy digital media at home and stores it for future enjoyment, you'll see people needing more and more diskspace.

Modern days games and applications already come as sets of 4 to 6 disks or full DVD's. Who knows how big it will be within the next few years.

[edit on 6-9-2004 by thematrix]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I could use it.
I currently have two 120GB drives in my PC and I sometimes have to delete files to free up space.

I create ISOs of my programs and games so I have a backup if I ever lose the original. It also allows me to move the originals out of the way while still having easy access to those programs.

I have many movie files which take up quite a bit of space.
Lots of documentaries, old war cartoons, etc...

My Outlook data file is about a half a gig by itself.

It's easy to make use of the space if you have it.
Backing up is a problem though.

EDIT: I see the article is a few months old.
They have released a Bigger Disk Extreme 1.6 TeraByte, since then that is under $1,000

[edit on 6-9-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Modern pc's use around 160gb, I have 2 hard drives, a 80gb and a 160gb, and i still have quit abit of room left.

But as everyone knows, TV's and computers are starting to begin the integration. and once you start recording your ts shows one hard drives that will fill them pretty quick, especially when you get HDTV, that will be a storage sucker.

But I think it will take 6-8 years till 1 terrabyte becomes the norm sold one everyday pc's.

and about the person who said that we need to make hard drives faster: Todays are aroung 7,200 or a laptop is usually sround 5,400. Not many people have 10,000 rpm ones. and NO you cant make them go 1,000,000 rpm's, that speed would destroy them into tiny shards, but if you make the disks stronger you can get them up quit high, but with faster spinning means it uses more power which produces more heat and it would also be louder.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I would like to have it but at $1100, I will pass...WOuld be nice to have to not work about space for a while. Actually I would rather have a 35GB DVD.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   
thematrix, I totally agree.

My job deals with massive amounts of video data and we need massive amounts of hard drive space to store it all. However for the majority of people even 1 TB is much more then they will ever need. Its the games and video data that push the PC industry to its maximum.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I wish I had a 1 terabyte hard drive wouldn't have to worry bout that part of my computer for a while.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
matrix, dude, where do you have all that sat stored? on burned CD's/DVD's, external hard drives? just really that's a lot.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
As software become more complex u will need more and more space but accessing the data is the hardest part as it comes down to the heat generated by the hard disk drive thats a big prob and that with chips and disk space u can only get so small before it burns itself out , but this is when we hybrid medical technoligy with computer in a sense 1 day all machines will have biological components to them as they can work far more faster and store more data ( in theory ) very soon to be fact if not in the workings

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I had to find out how much a terabyte actually was and according to a line in the following article from Cnet.com "A terabyte would be equivalent to 37,000 books."

"If digitized with full formatting, the 17 million books in the Library of Congress contain about 136 terabytes of information; five exabytes of information is equivalent in size to the information contained in 37,000 new libraries the size of the Library of Congress book collections," the report stated. Hard drives absorbed about 2 exabytes of the total.

The report also found that 400,000 terabytes of e-mail get produced per year, as do 274 terabytes of instant messages. (A terabyte is a million million bytes.) The surface Web--the Web people can access--contains about 170 terabytes of data.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

And I thought my 20 gig had all the space I ever needed.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I'm using a 160 gb hard drive right now.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I wonder why do we need such a large hard drive but then we has seen how bigger hard drives brings bigger size downloads.

It is in the human nature is get bigger and bigger and bigger to the point of extintion, this is the simple of way seeing the world from my point of view.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup

Originally posted by marg6043

It is in the human nature is get bigger and bigger and bigger to the point of extintion, this is the simple of way seeing the world from my point of view.

That's a bit depressing

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazzmaster

Originally posted by surfup

That's a bit depressing

It is? You mean extinction, may that is not the right word choice here, I meant to the point where we move onto different things.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join