It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could amateur radio be of good use to survivalists?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I think it would be a good backup, I personally dont have a HAM , have thought about it, but I have decided to be able to hear it is enough for now. I have a digital police scanner and can hear all local police, fire as well as basically anything that can transmit , CB, VHF, Marine FRS, GMRS, and HAM. I currently only listen to HAM when there are storms, they are the storm chasers that report directly to the weather guys. To get a good idea look up your local ARES and SKYWARN frequencies. The local ARES and the like will be the channels used for most any emergency local to your area as a backup. Most radios are for 2m, 6m, etc some are multiple bands the most popular will be 1 or dual bands. The scanner can sweep the entire scope of bands so its all you need to listen to any of it, but you will not be able to transmit of coarse. One day I might get a dual band rig so I can transmit, but I dont have the time to mess with that sort of hobby at the moment so I resign myself to just being able to at least hear it.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join