It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aljazeera to be sued over shocking treatment of HIV-positive South African journalist.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Aljazeera employed a senior SA journalist (who remains anonymous), who came to Qatar this year.
His tests here were negative, before he left SA.
However, in Qatar he was bundled into a car and taken to a prison, where he was subjected to naked tests before other prisoners, and mocking guards.
He had tested HIV-positive.
After some time in prison he was then released and told to leave the country within hours.
He was also dismissed from Aljazeera.

A new SA human rights group called Section 27 now wants to take Aljazeera to court.
They inquired from the notoriously biased channel why the man could not be given an alternative position in SA or the UK.
Aljazeera didn't respond.
Now the SA activists want to take them to the International Labor Court.

Aljazeera and Qatar don't give a hoot about human rights.
When I look at their channel now, all I can do is laugh.

www.haaretz.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
More information on Section 27:

www.alp.org.za...

Every country might make its own policies about HIV, but this was outrageous and amounts to torture, and hypocritical Aljazeera should have handled it more professionally, and in a less stigmatizing manner.
edit on 3-12-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I'll never forget the day I found out I was HIV-poz.

It is a horrific experience.

Now they treated this man from our country worse than a criminal.
I cannot even imagine what he must have gone through.

Then they get all sanctimonious about World AIDS Day and Tanzania ... these people are positively medieval, and that's my personal opinion.

They trash the US and Western countries all the time, but they cannot uphold simple standards.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
More information on Section 27:

www.alp.org.za...

Every country might make its own policies about HIV, but this was outrageous and amounts to torture, and hypocritical Aljazeera should have handled it more professionally, and in a less stigmatizing manner.
edit on 3-12-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

With all do honesty, I am still royally pissed off that Obama is letting HIV refugees into the USA. HIV needs to be treated like a Zombie outbreak and everyone with HIV needs to be quarantined away from the general population. As time and time again, thousands upon thousands of HIV infected people have shown they have no problem lieing to others and giving other people this incurable disease.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

I'm not sure if "thousands" of cases have been proven to be transmitted through lying.

At least the number of criminal prosecutions for deliberate infections is hardly spectacular in the US (or elsewhere).
Between 1986-2003 there were 316 prosecutions (of 300 individuals), and 15% of those were for biting, and 7.5 for spitting (non of which transmitted the virus)!
www.aidsmap.com...

I must have a closer look at some of Obama's changes, but from what I've heard so far is that being HIV-positive no longer excludes one from visiting the US, however it certainly hasn't meant there was an influx of positive immigrants and refugees. I recently read a case on ATS where an Australian man is about to be deported, although he is the only caregiver for his lover with AIDS. So I wonder how many such refugees there really are.
Most infections are still due to people not knowing their status (accidental or reckless) rather than deliberate lying.

Whatever the case, it still doesn't excuse Aljazeera form their behavior, when the man could have performed his duties from a normal Western country, where HIV infection is stable and treated with sanity.
And then Aljazeera always makes such an issue out of the "poor" Muslim immigrants in Europe and Britain, and how unwelcome they feel.
The whole channel is just a propaganda joke with selective morality.
It's not the only one, but it's becoming blatant.
Even if one does not want HIV-positive people, one can show sympathy and kindness in their treatment - just common human decency.
One doesn't have to act like a sadistic tribe of stone age retards.

edit on 4-12-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

top topics

join