It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the government may be reading our emails and more

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

A newly revealed security research project developed at Georgia Tech in conjunction with the Army's secretive research arm is designed to scan e-mails, instant messages, and more for cyber threats ... and can read approximately a quarter billion of them a day.

another incursion into our privacy, this neeeds to be ended

www.foxnews.com...
edit on 3-12-2011 by radiotracker350 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by radiotracker350

I read that article this morning. It’s only being used at federal agencies…as far as we know.

Nothing to worry about…yet!!

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I'm surprised we still have people who think any type of electronic communication is private.

Great crime prevention and terrorist prevention measure.

Battlefield intelligence.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
let them read my emails. God knows I don't read em.. maybe they will find a cure for erectile dysfunction.

honestly though, if the government is that scared of people they need to spy and read their personal information, and know whats in their home, or on their minds, or on their computers, let em.. that just means they are weaker than you and I.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Now I understand everything...that's why always I find in my emails inserted a flag with" vote O"...!

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
If your email is not completely your own, e.g. It's a work email, then it's fair game. Courts gave ruled over this many times. Whether it is the government or some tabloid run by Piers Morgan, it's all the same. Never put in an email (or forum posting) anything you don't want to see in the newspaper. I also wouldn't rely on encryption of email. The NSA can pop a typical encryption scheme in about 15 seconds. Encryption just makes it more attractive, kind of like an armored car. You KNOW there's money in there.
edit on 12/3/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Who's really surprised? I have a friend who works with a large insurance company VERY high up in the food chain.
They told me the information data base has grown so big in the last four years that it even scared some of the executives how much info they gatherd.

Those involved in data collection don't even know what to DO with all the stuff they have.

I happen to know about another company that's working on erasing data off the net.
For a fee. Film at 11. Legal too.

Oh..phone call transactions won't be.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
You... you didn't think that they were doing this before? Especially being member of ATS, yours and my electronic media are probably thoroughly scanned and we are probably tracked via cell phones 24/7. Privacy is a thing of the past, unless of course some things are written on paper. Now excuse me, my tinfoil hat needs to be put back on.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
LOL I hope they enjoy the 2 million spam emails my accounts seem to get daily.

Simplest solution is to act as if everything you email .. text.. or say on a phone is being heard by big brother.

That way you never have to worry that you're being snooped on.

It's still an invasion of privacy though.. even if all they see is spam emails and nonsense texts.

edit on 3-12-2011 by SavannahCat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
A great way to combat this intrusion is to randomly and routinely put ridiculous sentences/comments into every personal email you send and/or every personal cell conversation you have. Simple, but assinine stuff like:

"I can't believe I managed to dispose of all 273 bodies this morning."
"I have sent our courier to the target with the 2,500 gallon urine bomb tank"
"I never would have joined Al Qaida if it hadn't been for that unbelievable bacon quiche they serve at the meetings."
"Who knew I could fit 625 lbs of narcotics up my butt?"

Then, when you do slip up and send something legitimately of interest to the feds, they'll be so desensitized to you, they'll just write it off as more nonsense.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

imho - the real problem is with the global corporations - they have way more to gain, and lose.

Check this out. Spy Files

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Everything electrical is monitored and has been for years.

If searching through emails and listening in on phone calls is all the governments have got to do then they must have run out of ideas on how to control the masses.

I know my phone and computer are monitored and I do not care - I am not going to be intimidated or made to fear the people listening in. My life is much the same as others - just getting on with it and trying to work out the answers to all the lies we have been told.

I speak my mind because I have one. I advocate and promote peace and intellectual conversation. Who knows I might wake up some of those who are spying on me! Anything is possible!

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

The government "may be" reading our e-mails? Have you heard of the Patriot Act? Those guys are probably funneling every single e-mail, text message, and phone call into some sort of supercomputer database.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Yeah it's also a great 4th Amendment violation. Why not just put a recording device in every persons home and a military checkpoint on every street? I'm sure those would be good terrorist prevention measures as well.

top topics

join