It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas exploration project in Mendip could awaken massive volcano

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I have searched and cannot find anything posted. I didn't want to add this to the EQ thread, volcano thread or any of the various fraking threads. I wanted it to stend alone as there seems to be an awful lot of frakking going on around the UK that is not public knowledge unless people like this gentleman makes a bit of noise about it.

"December 3, 2011 – BRITAIN – Does a great and terrible fate await us if drilling starts below the Mendip hills to extract gas? A Mendip hills expert says it might. Nigel Taylor, caver, wildlife and nature campaigner, explosives expert and Mendip district councilor, has carried out a study of the Mendip Hills and has discovered that there is a volcanic plug that could be holding back a river of lava ready to erupt if disturbed. “It may sound ridiculous,” Mr. Taylor said, “but it is no more ridiculous than drilling deep into the earth’s crust and setting off explosions to release trapped gas without knowing all of the potential consequences. “We could be sitting on a Mendip volcano.” Mr. Taylor says that Moons Hill Quarry, which is situated at the heart of the Mendip Plateau near Stoke St Michael, is a massive Silurian Volcanic plug of Basalt rock. He said: “The rain falling onto the Mendips soaks down, and are superheated on their journey to the Roman Baths at Bath by volcanic activity deep in the earth’s surface under that volcanic plug, long thought extinct. But what could happen if the exploration company is allowed to carry out ‘fracking activities’ on the Mendips?” Fracking is the process of pumping water underground until the gas bearing shale fractures and releases the pressurized gas it contains. In the United States fracking has been blamed for widespread pollution – with its release in the water supply causing tap water to catch fire. The energy industry says the process is safe and an essential source of energy for the future. Mr. Taylor said: “I am keeping an open mind about all of this, but have more than a pressing concern about a risk that nobody appears to have either realized or considered. “We could either end up diverting the hot waters from Bath into ruptured rocks deep below us, pollute them with shale oils and gases, or the doomsday nightmare scenario – destabilize our geology and awake a sleeping giant.” -Sommerset"

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

I am not so sure about the volcano part, although it is plausible.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I cannot believe the hypocricy of the government-They claimed they would be the "greenest ever!"
What crap...
Have they not researched anything about what fracking has done to parts of America?
Polluted(and in some cases flammable)water supplies,chemicals in the air and in the ground,illnesses in the population,earthquakes etc etc.
I cannot believe the government have not done their research on the issue-therefore I am left feeling that they simply do not care about the environment,or the people who voted them into power.
They just want to make a quick buck.

Why else would they decide to let this go on,and why else would they let the fracking industry operate without any legislation to protect the environmnet and the people?

Good for nothing scumbags,the whole lot of them IMO.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
So much of this sort of lunacy I read about on here all seems so far away. It still concerns me greatly but the distance makes it less of an immediate threat to me and those I cherish. I don't feel particularly proud of admitting that!

But the Mendips are not far away from me, this is my back yard!

Thanks OP, got a day off tomorrow so will try to find out more.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Psychoparrot

I wouldn't even know where to start...the local council offices?
I am thinking this is a much bigger problem all over the UK.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
It is a big problem across the UK(or it will be when if it goes ahead.
Do a google search for "potential fracking sites in the UK,"
and you will see many different locations mentioned.

new topics

top topics

join