It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cat Litter Rant!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I went to Vons to get a few things, including cat litter. I have 2 cats and usually stock up on clumping litter, buying big containers that usually last quiet a while, if attended to properly.

I usually get the generic brand at $4.99 for 18 lbs of clumping litter. Not so any more! At my local Vons they now want $14.99 for 8lbs of clumping litter! They sell their generic brand of clay, like $.99 Store Johny Cat Clay Litter, that turns into smelly urine cat clay at the bottom of your litter box, for $3.99.

I asked the clerk if this was mistagged, it must be, right? Nope, they came back to tell that this indeed was the correct price. They also added the suggestion that if I didn't like their prices I should shop at Walmart. You know what, WalMart isn't much cheaper when it comes to cat litter.

When did the clumping cat litter formula become so expensive and why!? Is it from some endangered chemical reaction of clay and ? or what? What's up with that?

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Its not clay...its fullers earth

Here in the UK its stayed the same price....the Catsan (the really white, light weight stuff) stuff is £8 for 10kg. I use a clumping one, i think its about £6 for 10kg.
You can buy clay/wood for a lot cheaper...but who wants a house stinking of amonia??

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Perhaps it is a regional thing. I have 9 rescue cats, so I have to have quite a bit of clumping litter on hand. The regular clumping litter from Tidy Cats in the 20 lb. jug was still $7.49 at the Wal Mart in Hobbs, New Mexico when I was there this week. They have some new varieties of Tidy Cats clumping litters that sell for $9.47 per 20 lb. jug. The regular Tidy Cat is the same price it's been for quite a while.

If you're shopping at Von's, I'm guessing that you are somewhere in the far western US....?

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Right. I'm in San Diego, California. The Walmart that these employees were referring to was just across the parking lot and only recently added groceries and produce, so one would think that they would be on their competion game.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Just a long shot as I am doing some research on the current international arms race (all the world and his uncle seems to be churning out killing toys at the rate of knots):

...cat litter industry has grown into a multi-million dollar business. Sales for 1994 were estimated at $767 million, and are expected to increase significandy throughout the decade.

Clumping litter was introduced in 1989 and accounts for approximately 30% of today's cat box filler market.

Cat box fillers made from absorbent clay account for approximately 95% of all cat litter. Clay, a naturally-occurring, nonmetallic substance, is composed of a combination of aluminum silicates and minerals.

Aluminum silicate, also known as aluminium silicate, is a mixture of aluminum, silica, and oxygen that can be either a mineral, or combined with water to form a clay. It can also combine with other elements to form various other minerals or clays. Some of these forms are used medicinally and industrially. They retain their strength at high temperatures — a property known as being refractory.

How cat litter is made
What is aluminium silicate?

Not sure if I am jumping to conclusions here, but could these clays and minerals be used in the arms race? I am thinking laser technology, spy satellites, guided systems etc etc which need to be able to withstand high temperatures. If these raw materials are being bought up by the defense industry, would that make them as expensive as you have described? If so, it would be noticeable at sales points where they run out of old stocks first, like cities, large stores with high turnover etc. Low turnover POS would be able to keep their prices low for the time being.

Just speculating. Feel free to shoot me down. If you haven't run out of aluminium silicate for you shooting gear, that is....

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I share your concern and switched to this brand:
www.arcatapet.com...
It clumps well and has just clay. It costs 10.00 too.
ETA: do not get litter with fragrance either, tis all chemicals.
Also the really best litter is the corn litter, but it's texture gets caught in the kitty paws a bit, so they either get used to it over time or not. Mine did not, but I have several friends that have had success.www.worldsbestcatlitter.com...
Do not get the natural wheat stuff either, cuz it will reek of urine quick.

spec

edit on 3-12-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

As a Mama to three cats and I shop for their litter.The prices
have really gone up on their litter and their food.I have to go
to Wal-mart of china in order to get their litter and food at a
reasonable price.

new topics

top topics

join