It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RON PAUL Refuses to Participate in Trump's GOP Debate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
RON PAUL Refuses to Participate in Trump's GOP Debate

Ron Paul Won't Take Part in Trump-moderated Debate

The Texas congressman's campaign said today he will not participate in a Dec. 27 debate hosted by the conservative Newsmax website because the participation of the real estate mogul and host of NBC's The Apprentice is "wildly inappropriate.

The Texas congressman's campaign said today he will not participate in a Dec. 27 debate hosted by the conservative Newsmax website because the participation of the real estate mogul and host of NBC's The Apprentice is "wildly inappropriate".

What's more, Benton says, Trump dissed the Iowa Republican Party when he reneged on a commitment to headline a big fundraising dinner after Trump decided he would no longer seek the presidency. Benton said that caused "embarrassment" and money to the Iowa GOP, which hosts the first presidential caucuses of the 2012 campaign on Jan. 3.
"Our candidate will not even consider participating in the late-December debate until Mr. Trump publicly apologizes to Iowa party leaders and rectifies in full the situation," Benton said.

It's obvious to me that Trump is trying to exploit the presidential race solely for his own personal gain/selfish reasons- I think this is a very smart move by Paul (and Huntsman, who announced Friday that he will not be participating in the debate), as the very notion of it, makes a mockery of the race, the candidates, the Iowa GOP, and most importantly, the American people.

This is not a pageant Trump.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ltinycdancerg

It could be a very good strategy. The more the republicans speak the more pathetic they sound.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

I think he did the right thing. The man with The Golden Wig is not to be trusted (dodgy, very dodgy business dealings that he can only keep going by juggling his books and bank accounts) and should certainly be let nowhere near a chance to become president imho.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
No I wouldn't expose Ron Paul to someone who is going to ask tough and intelligent foreign policy questions either,yes Trump will be self aggrandising in this debate there will be plenty of use of the word 'I' however he does have a genuine concern for America and knows the right questions to ask.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Donald Trump hosting a political debate is a joke that turns our electoral process into the equivalent of an E! Exclusive story. It's an election, not a reality show.

I admire Paul for refusing to participate.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Is Trump going to cancel his plans now that RP is going to be a no show?

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Sorry your election is a circus and a reality show,in my country we can call an election have a campaign vote and get a result in 5 weeks.In the US there is 18 months of BS leading up to an election where every fart and cough is reported on the respective candidates.Its all a show the result is rigged the Goldman Sachs boys are currently Mitt Romney and Marco Rubio Id be very surprised if that doesn't end up the ticket but only the CEO of Diebold voting machine corporation truly knows the winner.My opinion is that the Republicans are throwing this one and will go after 2016,I mean look at the candidates going up against Obama,Obama will have a billion dollars for his campaign thats enough to hypnotise a lot of chickens it wouldn't surprise me if he got a second term.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I agree with you; since Trump wants to make an arse of himself, best he goes to Obama for a debate and then the two can make fools of themselves.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ltinycdancerg
It's obvious to me that Trump is trying to exploit the presidential race solely for his own personal gain/selfish reasons

He's already stated 'I will endorse someone after the debate'. So yes, this really is all about Trump. It's like his own mini-reality show to see who is most willing to sell their soul. It will be either Mitt or Gingrich that he endorses.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

From what I have observed about Dr. Ron Paul, he will not give another the opportunity to have him look like a fool. Most of those who tried failed.

Here are a couple examples

Dumb blond

Dumb Bill O'Reilly

Dumb Michele Bachmann

Dumb FOX broadcast of GOP

and there are so many more times that Dr. Paul has trumped (no pun intended) the MSM and Others

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Neither will Huntsman. Why? Because they are both smart. I'm surprised Newt and Romney are agreeing to particpate. One is smart and the other is slippery - you would think they would be more savvy than to agree to this.

Trump is nothing but a media whore. He has met with many of the GOP candidates personally (though why they would bother I have no idea), does he think he is some sort of king-maker? Does anyone really think Trump can moderate a debate without creating more of a spectacle/ circus/farce of the GOP primary?

The GOP has jumped the shark.

edit on 3/12/2011 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Ah, what the heck. Donald Trump is Fair and Balanced... Like Fox! Ron Paul should totally go.

Trump is also very moderate, and not biased at all. /end sarcasm.
Here's a very good reason why no candidate worth their weight (especially Ron Paul) should voluntarily go to any debate moderated by Donald Trump:

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Big fan of RP, but I don't like this. Trump gives me the heebie-jeebies but millions of people watch his show, so they might watch this debate even if they normally would pay no attention to it - and I wish he would try to win over some of Trump's fans....because there are a lot of them.
To those that say Trump moderating creates a mockery of the whole process........have you seen any of these debates? They are RIDICULOUS. How much worse can they get? And is it really a bad thing if they do get any crazier? It's like the media is trying to make itself look inept. People are gravitating towards Paul simply because he's the only one not babbling rehearsed bs. I hope he changes his mind and keeps narrowing the gap between himself and everyone else on that stage.
edit on 3-12-2011 by greenWeenie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

Would sure be refreshing to see this added to the laundry list of reasons on why Paul has no business in attending this.

I look forward to the media spin on it.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Good!

I hope the Daily Show makes them out to be as the fools that they are!

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Maybe after the Trump GOP debate the Republicans can get Jerry Springer to host the next debate for them. Next perhaps they can go with WWEs Vincent McMahon to moderate the final debate before the Iowa caucus. That should make for a lively intellectual debate.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Ron Paul is right, same with Jon Huntsman, this is a campaign for President of the United States, and it is by no means a game. How they can even think of using a pompous egotistical buffoon like Donald Trump, who is only doing this to receive more attention. This reminds me of when a few candidates made their way up to meet Trump in NYC not too long ago; I guess they had to kiss his ring and request approval or something.

Also, this is an incredibly smart and calculating move by the Paul campaign to gain major points with the Iowa Republican Party and proud Iowans who were angry at the Donald treating them with such a lack of respect.

edit on 12/3/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join