It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm so tired of Gay Celebrities in the closet. So who is gay and who is not?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessdalen

So the thread is disgusting, but it's also soooo funny?
OK, there's a consistent point in there somewhere.
But thanks for the clip!

I guess speculation on sexuality (and why some people still feel an actor's personal sexuality would make them see their work in a different light) is only important when it comes to homophobic preachers.
But I'd say these closeted actors are little better than such preachers, for the implied message they send out, and at least two of the hugest rumors belong to a cult that claims to cure homosexuality!

On the other hand, such rumors also have an element of fun and entertainment, and ultimately celebrities want to be talked about rather than not.
edit on 4-12-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Freddie Mercury chats up Bono and Status Quo.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
I guess speculation on sexuality (and why some people still feel an actor's personal sexuality would make them see their work in a different light) is only important when it comes to homophobic preachers.
But I'd say these closeted actors are little better than such preachers, for the implied message they send out, and at least two of the hugest rumors belong to a cult that claims to cure homosexuality!

On the other hand, such rumors also have an element of fun and entertainment, and ultimately celebrities want to be talked about rather than not.

That's two correct statements. One, the hypocrisy of the people who shout without end about how homosexuality is "none of our business" and "who cares" showing they have a complete double standard when it comes to other than celebrities.

Second, look at the number of homocelebs who have struck it big in the homoceleb marketplace, none of this "loss of income and career" nonsense. It's good to be gay these days.

Rosie O'Donnell
John Barrowman
Boy George
Michael Cashman MEP
Anderson Cooper
Alan Cumming OBE
Ellen Degeneres
The Fab Five
Jodie Foster
Barney Frank
Stephen Fry
Juan Gabriel
Stephen Gately
Andrew Hayden-Smith
Elton John
Amy Lamé
k.d. lang
Matt Lucas
Jane Lynch
Amelie Mauresmo
Joe McElderry
Ian McKellen
George Michael
Graham Norton
David Paisley
Neil Patrick Harris
Christopher Rice
Kieron Richardson
David Sedaris
Bryan Singer
Michael Stipe
Peter Tatchell
Tila Tequila
Dale Winton
Will Young

and hundreds more!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveToSpendIt

There sure are a lot of out celebrities, and I only know a few of those people!
One can also add Ricky Martin to the list, and the singer from Judas Priest.
However, a lot of them didn't come out at the start, until their careers and fan-base were well established.
I doubt Ricky Martin could have become the biggest star in Latin American music if he came out at the beginning.

I remember the days when all the girls swooned over Wham, and wanted to marry George Michael.
Even Elton John and Boy George were just seen as eccentric (except for a few in the know, who got the message). Then it suddenly seemed OK to admit to being bisexual, and the press first speculated that they were bisexual before they came out.

There's a notion that it's been easier to be camp and out in Britain for quite a while, but that the US is more puritanical in such matters. When Freddie Mercury adopted the gay clone look popular at the time, and the band appeared in drag in their "I want to break free" video, it negatively impacted their US sales, and many US radio stations refused to play their records. But even in Britain out stars like Stephen Fry or Ian McKellan are mainly cast in gay-themed material.

I suppose coming out is a gamble, and some B-list celebrities may have used it to their advantage.
Ellen is more of a talk-show host these days, and I haven't seen her cast in a movie for quite some time.
But she still manages to bring home the bacon.
I can see how it would be difficult for a US male star who wants to be cast in action movies to come out.
Instead they tease us with ambiguous homoeroticism.
I'm sure the little minxes know exactly what they are doing by staying culturally relevant as gay icons, but without taking the risk of coming out.

edit on 4-12-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveToSpendIt

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Look, I am not claiming to know everything about the gay community, but I am getting sick and damn tired of being told that I need to treat gays this way and not that way and think about them this way and not that way. I frankly do not care who is screwing who and what it makes you. I also do not like being told how to think about certain groups, whether it be gays, blacks, jews, mexicans, blondes, who the hell ever. You know why? Because I don't care what you are in that context. You want to cultivate a favorable opinion by others? Act accordingly, do not demand respect or special treatment just because you're "this" or "that". A kid got beat up in high school because he is gay? I got beat up in high school, and I'm not gay. You don't hear me bitching about it being a "hate crime" and hiring a lawyer. Some kids are bullies, deal with it.

wow sorry friend this subject really works you in a lather. wow

The problem here is that gays are always going to be right because they are gay and the rest of us are not so what the hell would we know, ya know? How about you live your life however you want and stop making such a big deal out of it. The fact that this thread was started only reinforces my point. Who's gay, who isn't? Is it a choice or not? WHO CARES?

looks like you do. sorry. be cool.

Wrong again. Thanks for judging me, though. THAT is way cool of you.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Excellent points!

Middle America isn't ready for gay celebrities yet. NPH was forced out of the closet, and already had his job on How I Met Your Mother secured. Actors publicists encourage them to not come out of the closet, as that might diminish their appeal. An openly gay guy is not very likely to be cast as a leading male in an action movie. Those are the facts. There are lots of closeted gay actors in Hollywood, and they're all encouraged to be set up and date female celebrities to get publicity and also squash those pesky gay rumors.

Think about it, in high school, the majority of the gay guys were in drama club. It's not that far-fetched to think Hollywood is filled with the gays. And it has been since the beginning. James Dean, Rock Hudson, etc.

Guys that are rumored to be gay are Zac Efron, Zachary Quinto, Chace Crawford, George Clooney, Hugh Jackman, etc. Colton Hayes is definitely gay but just keeps quiet about it. Even though Hollywood likes to seem like its progressive, it really is the most homophobic industry in the world in a sense. People only come out when they start becoming irrelevant and need publicity.or find a niche homoceleb market to "penetrate". heh

Maybe it will change in the future, but as of right now openly gay actors aren't seen as worth the investment/bankable. But there are definitely plenty of queers in Hollywood. You just have to read between the lines.

Then there is gay Harry Potter/Daniel Radcliffe who is openly seeking a part of a "gay" man.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join