It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we ditch the Constitution?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
You know, the way some of you are talking about the Constitution reminds me of the fanatical view some have of the Bible. Strict adherence and forehead-to-the-ground worship. It's a document written by men, not God. It can be changed and has.

Close but not quite.

Believe it or not there are a few changes I would make to it myself

I would put some teeth into the second amendment
Outlaw prohibition
and a few other odds and ends

It is a living growing peice of paper but it has DELIBERTLY been made hard to change so people like me and nerdling cant change iut to suit or latest whim.

To me its not the Bible.

Its a lot more important than that

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

What in this needs to be changed?

Let me guess

The right to bear arms?

Exactly. As well as languange for universal health care I'm sure.

American's don't wish to become "Europeanized", as much as Europeans don't want to be "Americanized". Point out percieved flaws in our system or Constitution if you will, but I think you'll find most of us pretty happy with it.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Oh get over it.

The Constitution was intended to be flexible or else changes would not have been permitted in the early years. The system of checks and balances ensures that nobody gets too amendment-happy.

You have to move with the times, we live in a modern society where the biggest threat is not King George and the redcoats landing on the Carolina shore's. It's terrorists, both domestic and foreign who seek to kill.

If you continue to tie this precious document around you its eventually going to choke you.
Its the only document that protects our right to freedom. Give it up and you'll be a number with a red scarf tied around your throat singing to the great Bush.
Or maybe this is what you want?

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
And that is something to worry about indefinitely. So to treat it like the bible, your right I guess we do, and for good reason... Whats yours?

My Bible? My reason? Uh, I don't know, don't have one.

Anyway, I think it's important to keep balance when it comes to the constitution. We shouldn't be too strict when it comes to changing it and we shouldn't be too eager to do away with it.

One more thing....just because the constitution is there doesn't mean that it won't be trampled on. Despite it's existence the one's in charge still manage to overlook it every day. They still manage to create things like the Patriot act which, if I'm not mistaken, conflitcs with the ideas of the Constitution.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
We shouldn't be too strict when it comes to changing it and we shouldn't be too eager to do away with it.

Definitely agree with the latter, but the former depends on your interpretation of 'too strict'. Personally, I think the way it has been set up is perfect. Only issues that a 'super majority' of states approve will get through. It helps protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Oh get over it.

The Constitution was intended to be flexible or else changes would not have been permitted in the early years. The system of checks and balances ensures that nobody gets too amendment-happy.

You have to move with the times, we live in a modern society where the biggest threat is not King George and the redcoats landing on the Carolina shore's. It's terrorists, both domestic and foreign who seek to kill.

If you continue to tie this precious document around you its eventually going to choke you.

Wrong. This document is the very thing preventing big government bueracratic red tape pushing liberals from choking us. You may not agree with it, but this country was founded on the idea that government is bad, and more government is worse. If one would like to live in a federalized government, they should move to Europe, because the US is all about staying away from a powerfull federal government and keeping power in the individual states.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join