It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got some Irish in you?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Justme888

I am also part irish,english,cherokee and blackfeet.
I am proud of my irish roots as well as my native american.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

did you know that as the potato rotted in the fields plenty of other cropss were been harvested from irish soil, and we couldnt eat them because the british were exporting them, you my friend are a BABOON I am irish and I have a fondness for history and the history of my country, so please do a bit more research,
edit on 3-12-2011 by Lucifersjester because: bad spelling ( well Im irish )

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

The British monarchy has a long history of trying to force that island's people into submission. Whether or not they did engineer the potato famine is irrelevant. They took advantage of it. Being English myself, Irish history was not something talked about much in school history lessons apart from the fact that a famine took place, much death occurred and then much emigration to other countries. I seem to remember reading much later that landlords were turning people out of their homes in the middle of the famine as well. Also more or less due to pressures from the English.

OT From what little I know I have Irish, then Welsh, then English heritage in one side of my family. They were miners. I have no idea what dates the "moves" were made by that side but I was told there is some Irish in my blood (probably mixed in with Viking, Anglo-Saxon and Roman
)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucifersjester

did you know that as the potato rotted in the fields plenty of other cropss were been harvested from irish soil, and we couldnt eat them because the british were exporting them, you my friend are a BABOON I am irish and I have a fondness for history and the history of my country, so please do a bit more research,
edit on 3-12-2011 by Lucifersjester because: bad spelling ( well Im irish )

Oh here we go. A person makes a claim that isn't quiet true and is corrected. Someone else jumps in and decides to start name calling due to the their lack of high IQ. I didn'y say that the Irish weren't treated bad but the Brits didn't cause the famine. Also perhaps you research some history and find out that it was the industrial revolution which lead to forcing people off the land and the mass immigration as well as the convict problem.

And I'm a Baboon YOU say pffft.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

The British monarchy has a long history of trying to force that island's people into submission. Whether or not they did engineer the potato famine is irrelevant. They took advantage of it. Being English myself, Irish history was not something talked about much in school history lessons apart from the fact that a famine took place, much death occurred and then much emigration to other countries. I seem to remember reading much later that landlords were turning people out of their homes in the middle of the famine as well. Also more or less due to pressures from the English.

OT From what little I know I have Irish, then Welsh, then English heritage in one side of my family. They were miners. I have no idea what dates the "moves" were made by that side but I was told there is some Irish in my blood (probably mixed in with Viking, Anglo-Saxon and Roman
)

What's the problem with people here? The guy said that the Brits created the famine and it's an out right lie so it's very relevant. We all know how bad the crown treated the Irish but why make up a lie and why have some condoned it other than perhaps it reflects their own personality.

If a person posts something that wrong they're going to be corrected that's the nature of the site. But it appears in this thread that a person isn't to be corrected if they're bagging in Britian no matter how untrue an part of the claim might be.

Remember it's not the OP I've disagreed with. Just another poster. not that that makes any difference.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It seem it's ok to make up a lie then is it?

There's many things the Brits did to the Irish but starting the famine wasn't one of them. That's just stupid rubbish.

Yes the crown were bastards to the Irish everyone knows that. Alot of politiics there. Yes the Lords , which weren't all English, did kick people of the the land mainly because of the industrial revolution. It was worth more money to have sheep on the land for the textile industry than serfs.

This created a follow on problem which lead to unemployment and all the social issues that go with it including the convict problem.

It was a socioeconomic situation brought about by the industrial revolution which caused most of the problem made worse by the political victimisation of the Irish by the crown.

The Brits did not start the famine.

edit on 3-12-2011 by steveknows because: Typo

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
More misty eyed romanticism from people desperate to belong to something.

Firstly;
You are either Irish or American.
I would place a rather large bet that I am 'more Irish', (even writing it sounds stupid), than the vast majority of Americans who claim to be Irish-Americn or even just Irish.
All my grandparents were born in Ireland.
I was born in England and consider myself 100% English.
Both my parents were born in England and consider themselves 100% English.

Yes, I'm proud of my Irish heritage, but that's it.

I wouldn't dream of calling myself Irish-English and if I ever did I would be rightly mercilessly ridiculed by all and sundry.

Secondly;
Why is it impossible to have any discussion related to Ireland without it degenerating into a bitch fest about Ireland's history, The Troubles blah blah blah?
Real Irish people are sick to death of it and just want to live their lives the same as anybody else.
And the worst of it is that so much of what is spoken and written is complete and utter bollocks based on propoganda and romanticised fiction.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

It's funny how the Americans claim the whole Irish thing, I was in new York for paddies day and everyone was Irish, when asked how... 'my great great grandparents cousins wife's brothers aunt was irish'
cracked me up.. I like you have Irish blood, both parents and all grandparents are Irish, I was born in England but lived In Ireland as a child... I still consider myself English, because that's what I am.. I don't even mention the Irish connection when talking about my origins.. Although I am proud of my heritage.

And yeah everyone becomes an expert on Irish history and normally they are so far of the mark it's unbelievable..

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31

Thats basically how Australia was founded, most of the people here that have long generational histories in the country have some Irish background.
The Brittish used the Irish as slaves right up untill about roughly 180 years ago.

And what about the British criminals and convicts, not to preach to you the history of you own country, but to suggest Australia was built by Irish slaves is not exactly accurate..

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
So I suppose in the future, Americans will be happy when people in the Middle East accuse them of needlessly killing thousands if not millions of people, and destroying their society. What about the famines in Africa can anyone in the western world not deny their cupability because they did not help feed millions of Africans in time before they died, or the fact that western corporations particularly American and multinational ones are putting many people into poverty and virtual slavery. Look at the mote in your own eye before you start putting the blame for past events on others.

What happened in the 1800's was history and can any one be truly held accountable for their ancestors. What is happening round the world at present is something we can/should all try and prevent and can all be held accountable for.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
The better question is do you have some captain in you?

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Steveknows, I have no idea what is the problem with people here. I merely presented a few pertinent facts based on things I had read. I didn't intend to start a heated debated. I'll bow out and leave you all to it. Sorry if offence was caused.

Perhaps someone should start a thread on the possible conspiracy of the potato famine. Anyway, apologies to the OP.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I am 100% Irish and my Mom's grandfather had to change his name,dropping the "Mc" so he could get a menial job on the railroad...my Father's great- grandfather came in through Ellis and we have his original paperwork.
My ancestry is traced WAY back and it's full of thugs, rumored landbaron's,wild women,and all manner of gypsies and theives! Pretty standard,I think,LOL!
Slavery wouldn't suprise me in the least...have heard of it before.

Visit Gettysburg: the monuments read like the Belfast phone book,almost every other name of those listed in many battles is Irish.

St. Patrick's day is more "scared" to my family than any other holiday and weddings and funerals are EPIC events! My grandfater was waked for 3 days while sitting upright in a chair,a glass of whiskey in his hand while his fellowmen celebrated his passing...my Dad had actual photos,I guess they were proud of such things back then

When my Dad passed,we gave him the dignity of a proper Christian burial BUT he made provision in his will for one hell of a party after the mass that my hometowm talks about to this day!

Slainte'!

edit on 3-12-2011 by irishchic because: spelling

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by pshea38
The Irish famine of 1845 was engineered by the [snipped] British to force Irish
peoples towards America to be used, under appalling conditions, to build
up its colony . Over a million souls died of unnecessary starvation and the
population was reduced, virtually overnight, from 8 million to 4 million, a figure
it remains at to this day.
The British were then, and still are now, at the root of All the worlds woes.
God damn the queen.
edit on Sat Dec 3 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors – Please Review This Link.

The British weren't responsible for any of that...it was the work of the Royal bloodlines, the El-ites, and their tool, the "British" Armed Forces, that is made up of mind controlled soldiers(Like all Armed Forces are)

We need to get our of their mind set, and stop being nationalistic.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
reply to post by Freeborn

It's funny how the Americans claim the whole Irish thing, I was in new York for paddies day and everyone was Irish, when asked how... 'my great great grandparents cousins wife's brothers aunt was irish'
cracked me up.. I like you have Irish blood, both parents and all grandparents are Irish, I was born in England but lived In Ireland as a child... I still consider myself English, because that's what I am.. I don't even mention the Irish connection when talking about my origins.. Although I am proud of my heritage.

And yeah everyone becomes an expert on Irish history and normally they are so far of the mark it's unbelievable..

I lived in the U.S for two years and their St pats day is a little lame. Well in SoCal anyway Perhaps not so much in New England. Mind you in Australia St Pats day goes off so I might have just been used to a big party day

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

Originally posted by Raivan31

Thats basically how Australia was founded, most of the people here that have long generational histories in the country have some Irish background.
The Brittish used the Irish as slaves right up untill about roughly 180 years ago.

And what about the British criminals and convicts, not to preach to you the history of you own country, but to suggest Australia was built by Irish slaves is not exactly accurate..

There were alot of Irish convicts and also alot from England, Scotland and Wales but the most were Irish. Saying that, most settlers to Australia from Ireland were free settlers

"Their children, the first Irish Australians in the sense we understand the term, played a definitive role in shaping Australian history, society and culture. The Irish heritage has also had a significant influence of the Australian accent and slang words."

en.wikipedia.org...

"In the early nineteenth century, Britain embarked on a social engineering scheme that saw Australia become the first colony to build a society on the labour of convicted felons. With growing poverty and no organised police force, transportation was an integral part of the English and Irish justice systems. Between 1787 and 1852, more than 150,000 convicts were transported to eastern Australia with around 50,000 prisoners being of Irish origin."

"Irish immigrant numbers were higher in proportion of the Australian population than in any other Irish migrant destination."

"British government began to subsidise the fares of poorer migrants. It was not long before the number of assisted migrants exceeded those who paid their own way to New South Wales. Passage to Australia was generally too expensive for the desperate and poor of Ireland who usually opted for the quicker routes to Britain or North America. The four-month journey was not only expensive, it also meant no wages could be earned. Subsidised fares were to become essential for most British Isle migrants throughout the nineteenth century"

"Australia’s assisted Irish immigrants were overwhelmingly rural people who came especially from the modernising parts of the economy, where rural change from tillage to pasture threatened status and prospects. They included high proportions of Catholics and extraordinary high rates of female migration, which served to correct the sex-imbalance of the colonial populations"

www.independentaustralia.net...
edit on 3-12-2011 by steveknows because: Typo

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

Steveknows, I have no idea what is the problem with people here. I merely presented a few pertinent facts based on things I had read. I didn't intend to start a heated debated. I'll bow out and leave you all to it. Sorry if offence was caused.

Perhaps someone should start a thread on the possible conspiracy of the potato famine. Anyway, apologies to the OP.

Hey don't go and there's no need for apologies. I just saw people having a shot at me for having a go at a person for posting a non truth. You didn't. Though I think I was already peeved so I do make my apologies to you for that.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
More misty eyed romanticism from people desperate to belong to something.

Firstly;
You are either Irish or American.
I would place a rather large bet that I am 'more Irish', (even writing it sounds stupid), than the vast majority of Americans who claim to be Irish-Americn or even just Irish.
All my grandparents were born in Ireland.
I was born in England and consider myself 100% English.
Both my parents were born in England and consider themselves 100% English.

Yes, I'm proud of my Irish heritage, but that's it.

I wouldn't dream of calling myself Irish-English and if I ever did I would be rightly mercilessly ridiculed by all and sundry.

Secondly;
Why is it impossible to have any discussion related to Ireland without it degenerating into a bitch fest about Ireland's history, The Troubles blah blah blah?
Real Irish people are sick to death of it and just want to live their lives the same as anybody else.
And the worst of it is that so much of what is spoken and written is complete and utter bollocks based on propoganda and romanticised fiction.

When the question is asked people are refering to their bloodline more than their nationality.

I have Irish and German bloodline but I don't run around dressed like leprechaun and beer baron hybrid.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Is this an ethnic history lesson?
Or just a church sermon?
Are you gonna pass the plate and ask me for money at the end?
There are no lines on a map when viewed from heaven.
There is no Irish soil or english law.
There is only one planet, one humanity, quit spoiling it with talk of who done what to who and were gonna get some payback.
Don't be like America and NOT turn the other cheek.
And yes, I have red side burns.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by pshea38
The Irish famine of 1845 was engineered by the [snipped] British to force Irish
peoples towards America to be used, under appalling conditions, to build
up its colony . Over a million souls died of unnecessary starvation and the
population was reduced, virtually overnight, from 8 million to 4 million, a figure
it remains at to this day.
The British were then, and still are now, at the root of All the worlds woes.
God damn the queen.
edit on Sat Dec 3 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors – Please Review This Link.

Who's colony are you talking about? for goodness sake go and have a decent read on the subject. Man you have no clue as to what was going on, greed, complacency, capitalism just about everything common to today, except the suffering in fact. It was the 99% in today's terms who suffered, and who were tiller farmers. Who were the other 1%? no I revise that and say 80% to 90% against 20% to 10%..see how that has changed.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
My ancestry's about 70% Irish, a handful of other nationalities, and the rest is Cherokee.

So, basically, part of my ancestors had their land forcibly taken and almost all the rest were likely brought here as high-class slaves.

There's a very ugly saying that I've heard about the Irish being "God's white n-word's". Least I know where that saying comes from now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join