It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does Your Modem Send As Much Data As It Receives?????

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

I really try to help you but your whole problem resides on the packet counter you neither know the size of the packets and how much of them were rejected or got no ACK etc.. If you really want accurate data about your up/download then go to the webconfig of your router. normaly there is a traffic counter. Post us this screenshot.

Anything else is just mumbeling and searching in the dark. It doesnt help you, keeps the thread going on for a while without actual results. If you dont want to post this screenshot (of course you dont have to), I´ll have to think about your purpose opening this thread or if you really want help or just chat/fearmonger.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

I took a shot of the modem stats from the setup on the config modem from my provider but I am unable to upload it to ats . there is no upload / select file option .. This is the first time this has happened since I have been uploading to ats. I will keep checking..

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Here is the stats for the modem

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Its nice that you took the time

but this is the wrong section. Can you search for the traffic monitor? This page shows only how fast your connections are. It should look something like this:

I know its in german, but you should get the point

Edit: A little translation:
Online-Zeit -> Online time
Daten gesamt -> Total up/download volume
gesendet -> sended / upload volume
empfangen -> received / download volume

as you see, last month I received about 81GB and uploaded about 2.6GB, just for comparision

edit on 6-12-2011 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-12-2011 by verschickter because: changed 2.7GB to 2.6GB

Edit: Brush out your IP in the picture you uploaded, you´ll never know. The IP adress is your computers "house number" its the 62.xxx.xxx.xxx

Edit 3: To show you how easy it is to mess around, here is something every kid can find out about you:
That you´re from UK, better to say from London. I know this isnt accurate but I did this in 2 minutes

Edit 4: Maybe its not your ip anymore but it seems that you´re posting on a machine in UK, not U.S as you state in your profile. Its 12km to Wimbledon and 13km to Barking, is this accurate?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Dont we know already that his machine is screwed up already and sending insane amounts of traffic OUT?

So what's the point in wasting time inspecting the traffic over and over?

Please as i posted earlier, do a hijackthis scan and post your log file for analysis.

If we don't find anything there it's time for a complete new install but i GUESS its "simply" a browser hijack sending those packets....his machine is basically constantly streaming/recording something and sending it likely to that paltalk site.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

Hijackthis is a dloadable program I take it. I am in Las Vegas Not the uk. I will dload Hijack this brb asap

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123
Dont we know already that his machine is screwed up already and sending insane amounts of traffic OUT?

So what's the point in wasting time inspecting the traffic over and over?

Please as i posted earlier, do a hijackthis scan and post your log file for analysis.

If we don't find anything there it's time for a complete new install but i GUESS its "simply" a browser hijack sending those packets....his machine is basically constantly streaming/recording something and sending it likely to that paltalk site.

Your right, its better to do a hijackthis now. I thought maybe the traffic counter shows that everything is normal because the packets that go outbound do not necessary have to be uploaded. Look at his screenshot and the packet ratio of the two connections and the total connection. As you can see, there must be some data transfered between this two computers. That was my thought.

But because OP is not really fit with computers (sorry, no offence to you cherub) it makes more sense to let him run hijackthis, your right.

So what you have to do is download hijackthis, run it (with administration rights) and then post us the lines of the logfile into an Ex-Text box, the get a better read.

Edit: Cherub, next time dont forget to blank your IP out. Another idea, if hijackthis doesnt bring back some usefull data, could be a portscan to see what ports are open. Maybe he´s part of a botnet / has a trojan installed / spam machine.
edit on 7-12-2011 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Update. I reformatted and started from scratch on my system. It still is about 70 % upload to Dload. I give up

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Download "whatsrunning" run it and post the result here
2nd

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

What site makes hijackthis? I dont want to dload it from a third party site

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
www.whatthetech.com...
a google search would have turned up this...

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
BTW, did you really started "from scratch up"? This means complete format of all your storage devices(even USB, Mobile, Camera) a new OS installation and carefully rescueing old data that could be infected or delete the whole bunch.

If you just formated and reinstalled your windows, maybe ran some setups from your harddrive, the least you have to worry is a third party download of hijackthis...

I tell you this because:
The sister of my wife asked me two and a half years ago if I could copy her something on her USB stick. The bad thing was that WinXP had autorun turned on. Guess what happened. It was a virus that copied itself into root directory of every storage device on every bootup. So if you forgot one, all storage devices would be "infected" after a reboot.
A week ago my wife had to use her old mobile because the digitizer of her HTC broke and this reminded me of an old Sony M2 card that I could not backup because I had no reader. Her old phone has a reader so i plugged it in and the first thing that caught my eye was the (hidden) virus exe from over two years ago. Good thing I use Win7 now and autorun is turned off.

So better clean all, before it comes back

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I am just curious. Do you have a program running in your task manager called "services.exe" ? I have never seen it before and noticed it just now and the strange thing is that it gives a message I have never seen given in the task manager when I try to close it. It says critical system program and it will not allow me to terminate it.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
RUN HIJACKTHIS! POST IT HERE!
Dont ask questions about some service.exe (that is a windows service, but could also be everything). Somehow I think you dont want help? Why dont you just run hijackthis and upload the log? you behave that it makes no sense to me. Do you want help or do you want to chit chat?

See, I want to help you but the way you response drives me "mad"! I will gladly help you, even if we had some dispute in the past (you calling me troll and so on while dont have a clue about anything). So if your next post here is the hijackthis log, you´ll get help. If not then your privacy and security concers arent that high to deserve help.

Edit: The message means what it means -> You better not kill this process.
edit on 20-12-2011 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Don't worry mate I've got the same problem. I re-installed and its still happening. I have resorted to closing my connection after each visit to the net. My problem was caused by some kind of tool bar which chewed up all my gb's. I paid $20 for one extra GB and it was gone in two days. All I did was come here to ATS and download a video.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I think what you might have going on is a broadcast storm or a packet storm. I have seen the numbers like the OP but in the billions of packets. Almost all the cases it is a problem with the actual hardware.
I suggest swapping network cards.
If you have the same problem with your PC tethered to your phone then I am wrong on the above guess.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
To those who are and have tried to help me, thank you. I am still having the issue even when tethered to my 4 g and I am sure its more than I care to worry about but thank you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join