It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does Your Modem Send As Much Data As It Receives?????

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

It's been a while but the highest "overhead" of tcp/ip I am aware of is 30% under normal (download) operations. This in no way goes to explain the OP's "problem". Checksumming and ack's when compared to the data downloaded usually pale into unnoticeable insignificance.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Packets send 1,141,716.......packets received 1,589,822

Now how is that possible when my DSL speed test shows
Last Result:
Download Speed: 1326 kbps (165.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 322 kbps (40.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
The download to upload ratio is 4 to 1 but the packet rate is ratio is about 1.3 to 1

Our computers send and receive a lot more that we will ever know.

Don't forget kbps is kilo bits per second. A klobit per second transfer rate is 1,000 bits per second. A byte is 8 bits. And K (versus k] is often meant to express Kilobinary, which is kilobinary and refers to 1024 bits/second. KB/ps can refer to either 1000 bits or 1024 bytes per sec. And b is bit , B is byte.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

You're right; I probably shouldn't even have jumped into the discussion, since it was more specific than met the eye. I was just throwing a few rusty facts around, is all.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

No worries friend, we are all here to help

ETA I'm a sys-admin by trade (albeit 3 years unemployed grrr!). Just trying to help folk where I can.
edit on 4/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Given the box appears clean, and you caught that the traffic was going to a video chat site, I think we have a conclusion to the thread.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I was Field Service when systems were as big as a refrigerator.
There's still lots of us, you and me, around. Be cool to sit around, drink beers, and swap war stories, eh?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod

Indeed, especially as the OP has not been back to report yet. My wild guess is that it was a laptop and just needed a reboot. (I could well be wrong but that is sometimes the case with laptops and Windows)

"lol" Thankfully they weren't quite so large and heavy when I started (I'm a weak-backed 140 pound 6 foot wimp!) but I am drinking to your health right now.
Cheers!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod

No there is no conclusion to the issue. The same things are taking place and I did a search online for people having the same issues and found only two hits and they said the same thing. They noticed it change for no apparant reason and their carriers gave them the run around when asked. Also no one replied to their questions and the thrads were marked closed. The point I am making is the same point as the others made when I searched the net and that is itnever was like this in the past.
edit on 4-12-2011 by CherubBaby because: typo

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby
reply to post by Zaphod

No there is no conclusion to the issue. The same things are taking place and I did a search online for people having the same issues and found only two hits and they said the same thing. They noticed it change for no apparant reason and their carriers gave them the run around when asked. Also no one replied to their questions and the thrads were marked closed. The point I am making is the same point as the others made when I searched the net and that is itnever was like this in the past.
edit on 4-12-2011 by CherubBaby because: typo

You are using a video chat web site correct? That causes quite a bit of upstream traffic as your camera data is sent up. This matches the usage information you posted. Stop using the web site and I suspect you'll see your usage go back to 'normal'. This is not a carrier issue at all, you appear to legitimately be using that bandwidth but you may not have been aware of it until we pointed it out.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod

No!! I don't .. I clicked that link while looking for another site that blogs like this one. Today as we speak the modem is doing the same thing.. I dont use my video in or out going/coming ...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

reply to post by Zaphod

No!! I don't .. I clicked that link while looking for another site that blogs like this one. Today as we speak the modem is doing the same thing.. I dont use my video in or out going/coming ...

If that is the case, please shutdown all instances of explore and anything else you know is using the internet and then run commview again and post it's output. That will filter out all of the 'normal' activity you do and hopefully help point at what we don't know is using bandwidth that is.

Also, do you have a webcam? If so, if it is usb, unplug it as an experiment.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod

Do I shut them down through the task manager you mean? Also my cam is built into the screen and is not usb.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Tape the cam. Do you use a router? Please go to the webconfig of the router and take a look (and screenshot) from the traffic monitor. these are accurater then the packet receive counter.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
This is indeed highly suspicious since in normal cases the up is barely 15% of what the down is...but i am sure you know that already.

It's time to stop guessing and THOROUGHLY clean/check the computer. You can still spend time examining logs and firewalls etc...but whatever it is it needs to go.

So...have a GOOD antivirus installed like Kaspersky....PLUS a good anti malware like malwarebytes. Let both of them do complete scans. ONE AV program is not enough, you need to check for viruses and malware.

Also..do a check with "hijackthis"......AND (depending on your computer proficiency) you want to examine what starts up on your PC with "autoruns". Both of those tools however require knowledge about what's ok to have running and what is suspicious. USUALLY....a run of Kaspersky and Malwarebytes should find the most obvious viruses/malware.

If all this doesnt help and Kaspersky, Malwarebytes AND hijackthis and "autoruns" wont help finding whats going on you should do a complete re-install of Windows. Furthermore, activate Firewall in Windows and have latest updates and definitions (windows defender). So much data transferred is HIGHLY suspicious if not reason to freak....IMO...

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

If you read the thread you'd know he as Avast installed as well as did a scan with NPE. The box looks clean, the majority of the traffic appeared to be going to that web chat site. We need new data with IE shutdown so we can see if there is still a problem.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by verschickter
Tape the cam. Do you use a router? Please go to the webconfig of the router and take a look (and screenshot) from the traffic monitor. these are accurater then the packet receive counter.

Taping the cam would not reduce the traffic if it is feeding.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
This is interesting.
I just checked mine and I have 10,916 up and 14,130 down.
I do not have a web cam and the only place I've been this AM is here at ats and the Fla lottery. I had opened with ixquick. That's all!

Also interesting that there is sparce info on the subject.
I guess most folks just don't look for it.
It's not something that you get instructions for in general use of the computer.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Even if remote-diagnosis is impossible, it MIGHT be a simple browser hijack or an installed addon/extension in IE. Would mean if he hasnt IE open there shouldn't be that traffic. (Of course he still needs to remove that extension/addon/thing)...and HECK use another browser also. There is a reason people using FF

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

You know its nice to hear someone else is seeing the same thing. I dont mean I want anyone to have problems but I am glad I dont look like a "lone Crazy wolf" in this. I talked to a tech about it ( from my provider) and he tried to tell me the packet sent/received was not actual packet transmission or reception but rather an illustration that the pc could transfer data at those rates if it wanted too. ARE YOU KIDING ME? There is obviously more to this than what meets the eye. People start keeping track of your stats. ( My opinion ) I may just re-install to factory defaults ..

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

reply to post by OhZone

You know its nice to hear someone else is seeing the same thing. I dont mean I want anyone to have problems but I am glad I dont look like a "lone Crazy wolf" in this. I talked to a tech about it ( from my provider) and he tried to tell me the packet sent/received was not actual packet transmission or reception but rather an illustration that the pc could transfer data at those rates if it wanted too. ARE YOU KIDING ME? There is obviously more to this than what meets the eye. People start keeping track of your stats. ( My opinion ) I may just re-install to factory defaults ..

that tech is a moron, the network adapter stats DO show actual transferred packets. By the way, i didnt use XP in ages (i strongly advice you also to switch to W7)...but i just checked my XP machine which i use as "media PC"....while watching a movie...and the packets shown should actually update in real time if you look at the adapter stats. The media PC actually has about as much packets sent as received...but then it is streaming a movie...

By the way..before doing a complete new-install...care to send the "hijackthis" log?

Go here: www.filehippo.com...

Let it scan and post or send that log file. It SHOULD show any suspicious things..i can also run it through an analyzer.
edit on 6-12-2011 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join