It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Neuralizer - Everyones Favorite MIB Gadget could be a Reality...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I was watching the below video, which is from back in 2007, talking about research on selectively erasing memory.

They found that by manipulating a specific enzyme molecule, they can erase certain memories instead of completely wiping ones brain out.

Yes, but a Neuralizer is a flashy thingy, and doesn't need anyone to take a drug, you say? I'm glad you asked:

Here's a paper of Stanford University's School of Medicine on "Photobiological Basis of Low Level Laser Radiation"...

It says:

Photoactivation of Enzymes The light activation of enzymes is one of the fastest growing fields of photobiology…….one photon can activate one enzyme molecule, which in turn can process many thousands of substrate molecules. This provides a huge amplification factor for initiating a biological response with light……may be the explanation for why low level laser radiation…is effective……One just needs to find the proper wavelength of light to stimulate the proper enzyme….

Full paper is here: Photobiological Basis of Low Level Laser Radiation

So a specific enzyme molecule can be manipulated to erase specific memories by inducing a drug... but enzyme molecules can also be manipulated with low level lasers, provided I know the right wavelength...

Now, of course we all know, the real deal MIB Neuralizer didn't just erase certain memories, it replaced them with fake ones (respectively whatever Tommy Lee Jones or Will Smith wanted you to remember ;-).
Would that be possible? Instead of you having seen a giant UFO, you remember you spent the afternoon on the beach?

According to a March 2011 article in LiveScience "A New Molecule for Memory: It can Enhance, or Erase" I think the answer is yes:

Even after having their memory of the nauseating taste wiped out, the rats could still relearn to dislike it,..."That area of the brain is still capable of learning new things," Dudai said."We didn't damage it to such a degree that we interfered with this ability."

Link to Full Article in LiveScience

There you have it... combine the research of that enzyme molecule drug with the enzyme manipulation abilities of low level laser... and you've got yourself a handy Neuralizer. Not only can one erase specific memories, but also literally fill in the blanks with a new set of memories...

Who knows, this might explain the "missing time" of abductees....or why I think I've never seen a UFO ;-)

Yeah.. I know, it's a bit of a stretch...or is it?

Note to self: Buy new shades...

edit on 2-12-2011 by nv4711 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-12-2011 by nv4711 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I hope this doesn't exist because it's pretty much guaranteed we know the type of people that will be using it.... Bloodthirsty megalomaniacs & power-hungry elites. The prospect of erasing memories is disturbing on multiple levels; and quite honestly the last thing we need is another technology that will be used to manipulate human beings.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
This could be really good and really bad.
Stop smoking for instance.

But on the other hand, some think we are supposed to go through certain learning experiences to get to a higher spiritual plane.
So if these memories are erased, are we still learning from them?

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whateva69

But on the other hand, some think we are supposed to go through certain learning experiences to get to a higher spiritual plane.

love and harmony
Whateva

Yes - Our memories, good or bad, make us who we are, to a large extent at least.
Of course, it could help a lot of people, i.e. with post traumatic stress disorder, Alzheimer patients (by enhancing the memory) etc... but the potential for abuse is of course enormous..and I think we know that it will be abused.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
It's utterly amazing what science can do with the visions of movies, sci-fi writers, and the like. If it were'nt for these visionaries science wouldn't be what it is today.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
There is a prescription drug today that can "erase" memories. You take the pill, reactivate the memories needed to be degraded and as you relive the events in your mind they lose consistency, it seems it works well with emotional memories, for instance if you had a traumatizing experience...

Pill Could Erase Bad Memories

Hypnosis can also serve the same function. ( Hypnosis wikibook )

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Pretty good subject, but why is it in this section?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 3-12-2011 by Violence because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violence
Pretty good subject, but why is it in this section?

Why did you post it twice? Was your memory erased?

But.. yes.. I thought about that.. but of course I took the MIB angle... so,thats the best answer I've got.

But glad you find it interesting :-)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
There was this great spy novel called Code to Zero that was...

...and, anyway, the dinning room was closed so I had get it carry-out.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by nv4711

love and harmony
Whateva

Yes - Our memories, good or bad, make us who we are, to a large extent at least.
Of course, it could help a lot of people, i.e. with post traumatic stress disorder, Alzheimer patients (by enhancing the memory) etc... but the potential for abuse is of course enormous..and I think we know that it will be abused.

Hell....they have had the ability to permanently wipe out certain long term and some short term memory for years with drugs.....never mind the electromagnetic stuff they have now.

Split Infinity

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frira
There was this great spy novel called Code to Zero that was...

...and, anyway, the dinning room was closed so I had get it carry-out.

good one

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

Originally posted by nv4711

love and harmony
Whateva

Hell....they have had the ability to permanently wipe out certain long term and some short term memory for years with drugs.....never mind the electromagnetic stuff they have now.

Split Infinity

Yeah... but I guess that's the old school almost lobotomizing chem bomb... this stuff can take a specific memory and erase it or replace it with a fake one... I think that's quite a step up...

...and never let me get my hands on one :-)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I could see this being a real handy toy for military/law enforcement. Just point and click and the enemy combatant/protester forgets what they were doing.

In a scaled-up version, it would be really good for crowd control. Flash a mob of angry people and the protest turns into an afternoon tea party. No muss, no fuss.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
You know most people would think this sci-fi but....there is very real research....non-Military....but it will be....on computerized scanns of Human Brain acivity and understanding what they represent...such as...activity of a nature here....RAISE RIGHT LEG.....activity there......move hand.

It was and is being developed for BIONIC REPLACEMENT BODY PARTS....as they have become so advanced that some SOLDIERS WHO HAVE LOST LIMBS....are back in the fight....with a titanium....electronic sensored...mechanical limb. Split Infinity

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

...some think we are supposed to go through certain learning experiences to get to a higher spiritual plane.

I flippantly mentioned the Ken Follett novel, Code to Zero, in a prior post, but to me the fictional drug used as a plot device is a fantasy.

I won't give away the story, but the premise is that a rocket scientist is given this drug which wipes out all memory of associations-- he could not remember who he was, what he did, where he was from, and so on. Yet, all practical knowledge remained-- he still knew all about rocket science, but he did not know why; and retained all of his personality, but recalled nothing and no one of his past.

I went to a therapist and told him about that novel and said, "If it exists, I want that drug."

It doesn't; and the therapist told me very much what you had written-- that the trauma and the pain of the memories were driving me toward something supposedly rare, valuable and sought after.

If I had not read...
* Michael Washburn's, Transpersonal Psychology in Psychoanalytic Perspective and
* Stanislav Grof's, Spiritual Emergency! a much less text-book-ish collection of essays on the same subject
... I would have suspected that the man was merely blowing sunshine.

However, my response was then is as it is now: I believe I have gotten all of the "value" out of those memories that are there to be gained.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Of course the flashy thing device (can't spell it's name) exists. I used one on my teachers all the time. "I'm sure that was an A. No, you didn't want to send me to the principal's office. I handed in my homework."
It's a very handy thing.
"No you weren't going to beat me up."
Now it's...
"You weren't going to fire me." "I was going to get that promotion."
And to prove its existence, I'm going to send the flash through this post and...wait, what was I saying. Oh man, I pointed it at myself again didn't I? I guess that's why the MIB have the shades, you know, just in case.
Did I just prove the point that this device is too dangerous?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I thought there already is one in almost every house?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I always wished for some gadget that could wipe my memory of watching a great film or TV show so I could watch it again

For example Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas had me on the floor:

"How long before one of us starts raving and jabbering at this boy? What will he think then? Jesus! Did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

I guess on reflection you should be careful what you wish for

new topics

top topics

join