It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiculturalism in Britain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Definition of Muliculturalism:

Ethnic or cultural groups have the right to remain separate rather than intergrate into the mainstream culture of the country they adopt as their homeland

Is this really how we want Britain, divided by cultural background, why can't we live as the British People rather than the current method of ethnic division.

People such as Sir Trevor McDonald support Britishness:

If you don't want to intergrate, why come to Britain?

Currently there is division and distrust, people live apart from those who have different ethnic backgrounds. The old immigrants are angry at the new immigrants, for not intergrating. We need a different approach or the current racial tension that we have in Britain will grow out of control.

What everyone else's opinions on Multiculturalism?

[edit on 6-9-2004 by UK Wizard]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
We need a different approach or the current racial tension that we have in Britain will grow out of control.

What everyone else's opinions on Multiculturalism?

[edit on 6-9-2004 by UK Wizard]

So true, but we cant with a growing far right scene
. Most places in the UK, mixed communties work fine. I have never seen a racist attack in my home city of Canterbury, muslims,whites,etc live side by side. Why cant the whole of Britian do this

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Having spent a goodly amount of time in England I can only post my observations and impressions gleaned by speaking a great deal with the native Britons.

I think a lot of them see minorities as taking over their country, to put it bluntly. I think a lot of them are seriously upset to have to wait in line forever for medical care for example, and having a minority person go ahead of them for services that they have spent their entire lives being taxed for. I think they are tired of seeing minorities being given things on a silver platter that they have had to pay hard earned money for. Most of all I get the feeling from native Britons that they are basically fed up with political correctness gone mad to the point where they feel they will be labeled racist for flying their own flag.

Honestly ? I think people should keep to their own countries. A basically Christian or Catholic country should not be expected to acquiese to a muslim one. I don't understand why people would want to move to a country that's lifestyle was so opposite to theirs. The only reason I could see was if that minority wanted to take over completely eventually.

And this is what I see a lot of Britons literally fearing and fighting against. Problem is they are immediately labeled racist for doing so.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by KayEm
And this is what I see a lot of Britons literally fearing and fighting against. Problem is they are immediately labeled racist for doing so.

The people in power believe we owe a debt of some sort to minority groups, ethnic minority groups seem to think that white people are all racist unless they believe in a society based on Multiculturalism.

Quotas call by black police group

'More black teachers are needed'

It says black teachers should be fast-tracked and offered "golden hellos".

it's madness i tell you madness

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
hmmm interesting topic.

First of all, the reason why people from third world move to western countries is not to take over these countries. They move because in their own country they have no job, no future, war, famine.

When you move from one country to another, and this other country has a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT lifestyle then your own, it takes time to adjust, to fully integrate. In the past, the number of immigrants per year has been a lot lower then it is now and they had more then enough time to integrate into society. These days we have mass immigrations constantly, these people didn't have time to adjust. Natives in western countries fear that these people are taking over their country. The reality is, these people are only doing all those #ty jobs nobody else wants to do.
I've seen it here in Austria. Some austrians would rather live on welfare then go clean toilets. A third world woman is very happy that she is cleaning toilets and that she can afford to eat.

Because of this high number of immigrants and their alienation in society it has become difficult in some places to co-exist. Immigrants stay with "their own kind" they partially isolate themselves, "ghettos" are created, and citizens of those countries see them as "threat" and isolate them even more.
I've noticed that the worse the economic situation is, the bigger those tensions are.

Mulitcultural societies are very much possible, but they do require two things: will of immigrants to integrate and the open-minded acceptance of the native citizens.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Trevor MacDonald is perfectly right. If you don't want integrate, then don't bother coming here. If you can't be arsed to at least try to learn the language then stay where you are. If I wanted to move to Germany or France, I'd learn German or French. Same for those who move to America and can't be arsed to learn to speak English (well, with an American accent of course
).

It annoys me no end when people just can't bother.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
Trevor MacDonald is perfectly right. If you don't want integrate, then don't bother coming here. If you can't be arsed to at least try to learn the language then stay where you are. If I wanted to move to Germany or France, I'd learn German or French. Same for those who move to America and can't be arsed to learn to speak English (well, with an American accent of course
).

It annoys me no end when people just can't bother.

I totally agree with my Pixy friend

If you can't be arsed to at least try to learn the language then stay where you are.

Easy. State Benefits. Our country give out the most benefits in Europe (i think)

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by KayEm
Honestly ? I think people should keep to their own countries. A basically Christian or Catholic country should not be expected to acquiese to a muslim one. I don't understand why people would want to move to a country that's lifestyle was so opposite to theirs. The only reason I could see was if that minority wanted to take over completely eventually.

Let's put it this way...

The GDP of the entirety of the Arab world, which encompasses 22 different countries and hundreds of millions of people, is less than that of the country of Spain. I don't know specifically about the GDP of the continent of Africa but it is similarly dismaying, though fewer people even have the means of migrating from most of Africa to a first world country. Reasons for immigrating are not just economic, they can be social too, or just out of a desire to live in another part of the world. It seems to me that you have a distorted worldview in which you think people from the same ethnicity or even from the same country are necessarily sided together against those of other ethnicities and/or nationalities, even after having moved to a new country and becoming citizens of that country. I don't see how you honestly think any one ethnic group would want to, or is even capable of intentionally orchestrating some kind of "ethnic take-over," somehow getting past safeguards (like, uh, intelligence services and immigration laws) that would keep that from happening.

[edit on 8-9-2004 by spngsambigpants]

[edit on 8-9-2004 by spngsambigpants]

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I find it strange though that no one has mentioned the odd phenomenon where, in Britain, so much of this so-called 'concern' comes from areas with low numbers of immigrants.

The idea that Immigrant communities contribute nothing is utterly false as a wander down almost any high street in the UK or visit to almost any work place / factory in any town would quickly show.

To claim immigrant communities from the world over are not entitled to the benfits of living in UK society is stupid.

They do contribute, they do pay their taxes......they are integrating as the increasing numbers of mixed marriages show. Get over it.

......and what sort of weirdo interprets 'integration' as some boring mono-cultural homogenized bland quaint version of British (which, be honest, for many means a version of English-ness that - outside of rural pockets - never really was anyway)?

I like the differences, I like the fact 'our' culture has parts I don't know much about and which will come to influence things as they now are......basically I like the fact that my culture as a Briton is alive and not the boring dead museum piece the 'defenders' of 'tradition' would inevitably make it.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
While I don't agree with so called "positive" discrimination, such as extra incentives for ethnic minorities to fill certain positions, overall I take the view that a multi-cultural Britain is the next best thing to an empire. Think of it as the "take-away" version.

Let's face it, British culture is strong enough to have survived being outnumbered in it's empire by something like 500:1 in the "glory days" gone by. It didn't stop us being any more British though. How then a tiny minority of immigrants, or indigenous non-white ethnic groups can ever be seen as even close to threatening is beyond me, particularly since within a couple of generations or less these individuals see them selves as British first and foremost.

I mean are Amir Khan, Ian Wright, Frank Bruno, Krishnan Guru-Murthy, (I went to school with him), Trevor McDonald, etc anything other than utterly British?

All it takes is time, patience, and tolerance..

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I don't care what country a person came from orignally or what colour their skin is. But if you decide to settle down to live in Britain, to work in Britain and contribute to Britain then you are British.

It's those who say (i not picking on anyone) eg: 'I live in Britain and my grandparents are from India, so I'm Indian not British',
It's people who refuse to accept they are British, and refuse to intergrate that i hate. Intergration helps stop racial tension, because we are the same nationality.

Hope that makes sense

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   

particularly since within a couple of generations or less these individuals see them selves as British first and foremost.

Well maybe not the immigrants, but surely the children will call themselves natives of their country that they were born in(ie UK or in my case Canada). I live in a very multi-cultural neighborhood. We have Chinese, Africans, Brits, Musloms(BTW MY cousins family on her mothers side is Muslom even though her father is Roman Catholic), Indians, Native Americans etc etc etc. Racial tension is almost unknown. The only people that seem to complain seem to come from the Far Right and well most people just ignore them anyway....(In Ontario that is)

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Multiculteralism is a good thing as I believe my home country of the U.S. amply shows. However the problems arise when the immgrants, rather than becomming part of the culture attempt to transplant thier culture into the new country. As an example let me cite the city of my birth miami. The first wave of cuban immigrants who came to miami in the 50 and 60's quickly assimilated into the culture, while at the same time enrichng miami's culture by spicing it up with thier own views and traditions. In this instance it helped both groups to become better. However the second wave of cuban immigrants was not so quick to assimilate and thus began some problems. For example grtowing up I had friends whose parents, despite having lved in florida for better than 10 years, still did not speak english. There is no excuse for this. There are reas in little havana where I can not order food in a resturant or buy a pack of cigarettes at a store because I do not speak spanish and I was once fired from a job beacause I did not speak spanish and as a result could not communicate with other employees.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Okay, but what are the alternatives without cutting off Britain from the rest of the world?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
i'm compelled to agree with the idea of multiculturalsim! but deffinately not the definition you gave.

n: the doctrine that several different cultures (rather than one national culture) can co-exist peacefully and equitably in a single country

i'm in my second year of university now, and the idea of living without certain aspects, such as that of multicultralism do not appeal to me at all.

my grandfather is one of the most xenophobic people i know, who thought in WWII for the hopes and aspirations of future British generations, and with this comes my only "right-wing" view on the subject. if you're not willing to intergrate into our wonderfully welcoming society, leave.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
A more pliable term should be used in lieu of multi-culturalsim: pluralism.: 4 a : a state of society in which members of diverse ethnic, racial, religious, or social groups maintain an autonomous participation in and development of their traditional culture or special interest within the confines of a common civilization

Deep

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Multiculturism is one of those things that sounds brilliant but ends up causing more trouble than its worth.

I don't care if your black, white, asian, indian, etc, as long as you intergrate and contribute to society then you have my open hand ready to welcome you to our great country. By all means retain your heritage (clothing, language) but please learn English and British heritage and customs as well.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
i'm too old to have witnessed this first hand (haha i'm finally old enough to say that) but we must not forget our own role in the evolution of 'multiculturalsim'.

we must also learn for a stable European intergration.

Citizenship - The National Curriculum for England

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by BLUELol
i'm too old to have witnessed this first hand (haha i'm finally old enough to say that) but we must not forget our own role in the evolution of 'multiculturalsim'.

we must also learn for a stable European intergration.

Citizenship - The National Curriculum for England

Thats very true im trying hard to learn French and open to offers for help.

I have no problem with immigrants at all, i always treat them with respect and try hard to communicate even if they cant speak English. [I have been told i speak excellent patwa which is broken English] most immigrants know certain words, its a case of trying with them, which is what English people will not do. Instead they get irate and start moaning that they will not integrate. Its not an easy thing to learn another language and when people get aggravated then i dont blame the immigrants for feeling resentment which then turns them to isolate themselves with there own kind. Its the vicious circle. Maybe there needs to be more language schools?

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Thats very true im trying hard to learn French and open to offers for help.

news.bbc.co.uk...

you're not the only one who's going to be learning French!

[edit on 8/12/04 by BLUELol]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join