It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth is a self-aware living creature

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Great thread. Rosicrucians teach that all are one, and that all is alive, every living thing has awareness. I do believe that planets are sentient; some more than others, much as the level of awareness of a dog differs from that of a human. earth responds to us collectively, and(and I have one experience with this) can also respond INDIVIDUALLY to humans. Whether the response is good or bad depends on your actions towards earth. My advice is, be nice to the planet, and don't piss her off ^^
edit on 3-12-2011 by LightsideAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaveNorris
reply to post by dannotz

If you saw a rock covered in moss, would you say the rock itself was alive. Earth is that rock and we are but moss

Ultimately the analogy doesn't work with me because well, where do you find these rocks with moss on them you are referencing? On the earth, everything is living on something or in something. The earth is vastly different than a rock though as it spins on its axis rocks don't. The earth has a heated inner core, rocks don't, you could say rocks have their own weather patterns but only because they are on earth and earth has its own weather patterns.

I mean I see the point you were trying to make I just don't think its a legitimate comparison.

But, hell I always acknowledge I could be wrong (that should be mandatory whenever a human speaks) who knows maybe that rock with moss on it at the micro level has its own "system" of things going on...

While writing this I had another interesting thought...I wonder exactly how much of earth is "life" and how much is "mineral"?? would be very interesting to know the ratio.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
This discussion takes me back to a high school AP biology teacher I once had. He started the year posing a question to us, that he wanted us to answer on our final exam, with a follow up discussion afterward as a class. The question was, "What is life?". After the final exam, he read through every answer and shot each one down very meticulously. We all concluded at the end of the discussion that we really don't know the answer to that very straightforward question after all. Back then I thought the teacher was a bit whack but as the years have passed and my experience has grown, I have come to respect him and feel gratitude for making us think outside the box.

As for the rock, there is more going on with it than meets the naked eye. Go down to the particles that make it up and it is a whirlwind of activity. Is this activity life? I don't know but it is definitely energy and my own life, expressed at its most basic atomic level is no different. As for sentience, just because we can't perceive it doesn't mean it is not there. We may be too big or too small to see things from our perspectives. For all we know the bacteria in our own guts could be in communication with one another and wondering in their own way if we are alive and aware of them. I admit that is not likely, but who truly knows for certain?

At the risk of reminding everyone what a looney tunes I can be, I have a thread on ATS where I talk about the communication I unexpectedly received from trees. I have largely stopped talking about it because it is frankly a depressing experience and I go out of my way to avoid touching trees, but it's still with me. Sentience manifests in the most unexpected places for those of us open to perceiving it. While my religion is mainstream Christian, I feel the kinship to those whose spirituality allows them to perceive the life in everything.

edit on 3-12-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: Typos

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
You were going good until you said that because Antarctica looks like the brain it means the Earth has one.

The Earth is not sentient. Though you can very much so say it's alive.

If the Earth was sentient, the only logical thing to do would be to die. It's the only living planet it can see and know about, and the only thing also sentient would be the things killing it. It would be equivalent to a sex slave, praying for death every day.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Very good info, i take Kelp with Iodine every day 3-4 tablets. This helps the brain rid itself of these parasites. I also use colloidal silver which kills these parasites and bacteria, it takes months to work but is worth the wait, your body responds better to fresh NON-GMO vegetables and fruits.

Amazing the length the Elite have gone to to screw us over, we have Dominion and they don't want you to know that, if we all figure out that they OWE us for all the resources they have stolen, they will commit suicide, I would hope!!

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

I tend to agree with what you state about the earth just because its not flesh and blood does not mean theres other forms of life the earth is a living body of volcanic rock wirh a molten core it allows us to live on it if were not careful with all the rubbish were pumping into the air it may decide to eject us or even kill the planet so no life can exist on it

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
You were going good until you said that because Antarctica looks like the brain it means the Earth has one.

Life=awareness of a kind, even if it's one we don't know how to communicate with.

If the Earth was sentient, the only logical thing to do would be to die.
This statement is nonsensical.

It's the only living planet it can see and know about,
There is absolutely no way for us to know that for sure.

and the only thing also sentient would be the things killing it. It would be equivalent to a sex slave, praying for death every day.

I don't even know what to say to that..

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Nice comparison thread.
It's important to look at the relations to things that are around us.
This is how we see incredible things and discover new possiblities.
The fact that we could be just a neuron firing in the grand scale of things makes one feel pretty humble.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

You discount hope. Why don't all cancer patients commit suicide? Many fight to the bitter end, never giving up hope even when the cancer cells have clearly taken over. In fact, because I know personally three people who have miraculously simply healed with no logical scientific basis for doing so, this hope is not always misplaced.

I'm not arguing against you since I have no means of knowing for sure the earth is sentient, or not. I'm just adding another perspective.

Also, how do we know the earth is not committing suicide? It's a big beast and nearly everything it has done of great significance has thus far been on a scale that dwarfs our puny lifetimes. We could very well be living in its suicidal death throes and not even realize it. Every time I read science news articles I am taken aback time and time again at how very little we know about things, and even the things we thought we knew, keep having to be revised. I don't see how any of us can feel so confident as to declare anything with such absolute certainty when it is clear our science is still in its toddler stage.

link   
Every thing is alive, even your walls made up of moving atoms, every thing is energy, life is energy. I like your first pictures of the tree and lungs, but that form is represented every where because its a galactic law. Google PHI, notice I say galactic and not universal. Because I think what makes this ratio is the way our galaxy spins

link   
reply to post by Sly1one

This is the most important thing we need to realise to be able to survive as peoples and quite importantly, be happy.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LightsideAssassin

Life is not awareness. Every particle in the universe is aware that another particle is next to it, via virtual particles. In fact now we are learning how to manipulate them and "blind fold" the awareness of of particles to each other. They are not, however, alive.

This statement is nonsensical.

only because you don't know its perspective.

There is absolutely no way for us to know that for sure.

oh but we can know for sure. In all likelihood every "thing" with an atmosphere and some amino acids has some kind of life on it. Venus, Titan, Mars, etc etc. All these have a very good chance of having life. However, the planets themselves do not respond to life. Because life is so astonishingly small It is life that makes Earth responsive to cycles and changes. Because like the cells of an organism, the change is responded by each. The body keeps homeostasis. Thus is remains alive. However, no other planet does this. Every other planet is trying to kill any life it may have on it. Earth is the only one perpetrating it's growth. Because Earth has favorable conditions. That's all it s.

I don't even know what to say to that..

Get a blood test for toxic elements. Then you'll know.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
...our culture (NZ Maori) calls Earth Papatuanuku...to us she is indeed a living being...

...then again we acknowledge and recognise all things have *life*...which we term Mauri...

One interesting point:
Our word for land is whenua...so too our word for placenta is whenua...
Another acknowledgement that our land/earth is living...and our lives right from the very beginning are dependent upon how we and her coexist...just like any child and mother does...

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I highly dislike wild claims but imo this doesn't fall under that one because:

The Earth as an object is having all sorts of processes in nature that it can be called 'alive, the Earth can be considered a livng organism because it is the combination of all living things on it, each tree, cloud, water is like the human body, like an organ of the Earth. The Earth is alive yes, but I don't see anything new or unusual in this enlightenment OP got. The Earth is a creature not made of tissue but made of rock, chemical elements, earth that alone are made of atoms. So yes. I agree OP!

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

If the Earth was sentient, the only logical thing to do would be to die. It's the only living planet it can see and know about, and the only thing also sentient would be the things killing it. It would be equivalent to a sex slave, praying for death every day.

lol I said it was a reach that I posted simply because it was interesting...nothing more. I thought I was pretty clear in stating I didn't think it "meant" anything...as for the "brain" function of the earth I haven't exactly narrowed down what that might be yet, there are many possibilities.

link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

You discount hope. Why don't all cancer patients commit suicide? Many fight to the bitter end, never giving up hope even when the cancer cells have clearly taken over. In fact, because I know personally three people who have miraculously simply healed with no logical scientific basis for doing so, this hope is not always misplaced.

If you were to equate man with cancer, we would literally be nearly every hundred cells int he trillions on the body. It WOULD be terminal. There would be no miracle to heal. It's great that you know people whom have, but they likely had isolated pockets of cancer, or a region. Not literally every square inch of their body.

Furthermore, the Earth has no brain for which to know to fight to the bitter end. The earth simply spins around, and changes seasons. Everything else is done by what is on Earth.

I'm not arguing against you since I have no means of knowing for sure the earth is sentient, or not. I'm just adding another perspective.

There are many perspectives to it. After all, if matter is just an energy compression of light, and light merely an energy compression of space time, then it could be said that the earth is the result of some sentient beast laying on a bed that is the fabric of space.

What does matter, is what is provable. It is provable that the Earth is theoretically alive. But not sentient. It can only make parameter bound patterns. Not even decisions.

Also, how do we know the earth is not committing suicide? It's a big beast and nearly everything it has done of great significance has thus far been on a scale that dwarfs our puny lifetimes. We could very well be living in its suicidal death throes and not even realize it. Every time I read science news articles I am taken aback time and time again at how very little we know about things, and even the things we thought we knew, keep having to be revised. I don't see how any of us can feel so confident as to declare anything with such absolute certainty when it is clear our science is still in its toddler stage.

It's simple. The only thing the Earth does is spin and move. Nothing else. Because it is located at a favorable location, and life is impossible to go extinct (something will always survive in some crack in the earth a mile bellow anything that can kill it), it is therefore impossible to kill the Earth. The Earth will always spin, and life will always be on it, until the sun blows up or the planet blows up. So long the Earth spins, and life is on it, the Earth will always return to the way it is programmed to be, because that is what the parameters of the situation demand. That is what evolution will always drive for.

link   
I can;t believe so many members really think the earth is "alive" as in a biological sense.. like people, it is made of rock, (some molten) water, more rock, a metal core and organisms living on and slightly below it's surface!
Comparing rivers to blood vessels, etc. ridicules human intelligence God gave you!!
I will agree that there are a lot of strange things in this universe but come on people, get serious! We have come a long way from when people thought the Sun was a living being and would sacrifice (murder) a poor victim to please it so it would come up the next day! Or have we? Seems some of you have not evolved past that stage!
I think I will look for a more intelligent thread!

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Us?

I mean, it seems obvious. If the Earth is alive it has to be able to reproduce and to make decisions. That's what we do. We reproduce things that otherwise would not be able to reproduce (AI, memes, temes), and one day we will put life on another planet.

You have to stop viewing the Earth as the planet, and start viewing it as the biosphere. Everything besides the biosphere and what keeps it going is nothing but the "crib" of a growing new organism.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by wulff
I can;t believe so many members really think the earth is "alive" as in a biological sense.. like people, it is made of rock, (some molten) water, more rock, a metal core and organisms living on and slightly below it's surface!
Comparing rivers to blood vessels, etc. ridicules human intelligence God gave you!!
I will agree that there are a lot of strange things in this universe but come on people, get serious! We have come a long way from when people thought the Sun was a living being and would sacrifice (murder) a poor victim to please it so it would come up the next day! Or have we? Seems some of you have not evolved past that stage!
I think I will look for a more intelligent thread!

If evolution eventually means being micro chipped or constructed out of artificial enhancers (as that's where we are going) I wan't absolutely no part in it.

If evolution means destroying the natural processes that made me possible in the first place to stroke my own ego and deny my own arrogance, I wan't no part in it.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I've always thought of modern humans as a cancerous organ. And it started around the industrial revolution. Ironically that's when cancer began to exponentially grow in humans.

Like any cell in your body, if it ignores the harmonic relationship with the other organs and only cares about it's own growth, that's cancer. We've lost our connection to the Earth and our socio-economic system promotes infinite growth. And religion doesn't help when it tells us that man has dominion over the earth and it's creatures.

That being said, not all "Earth cells" are cancerous. There are many of us, like yourself, that understand this and can be the immune system that kills this cancer. Although, it's not going to come from a physical destruction of the cells, but a shift in the collective consciousness.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join