It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth is a self-aware living creature

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Nikkithegreat

I can kind of see what you're getting at...and do agree that there's some serious amounts of Puppet-Masters out there with manipulation as their MO...

...where I'm stuck is how often our specific cultural perspectives are often referred to as simple Gaia worship...when our culture doesn't *worship* Earth/Papatuanuku/Gaia at all...

Yes, we do acknowledge the living existance...but even then our concepts/perspectives and cultural *definitions* of 'living' and all that entails are quite different to that of other cultures.
So our/Maori perception of 'Earth being a living entity' is likely - once you scrape down the layers of meaning - poles apart from what someone else may feel we're saying by that...

Heres the thing: Anyone who is Non-Maori and/or hasn't been raised within our culture, who hasn't been raised within and knowledge of our Reo/Language, Tikanga/Codes, our perspectives around what we term as 'wairuatanga' (very loosely translated as 'spirituality) and 'mauritanga' (very loosely translated as life essence, life force, interconnection) unfortunately could quite easily misinterpret what it is we do and/or believe in...the colonisation of our country by Missionaries is a great example of some pretty wholesale misinterpretation of how we as Maori *view* things and what we actually *believe*...

The other thing that I'd conscious of is that English isn't my first language - Maori is. So there is a decent chance that I'm the one who is actually misinterpreting the discussion here...and if thats the case then my most sincere apologies...
I'm also aware I've stated our people hold such a belief as a living earth...but again, it may well be similar in some aspects...but its also different in others...

Please know I'm not in any way attacking or having a go...in fact I'm quite enjoying reading the perspectives of the many peoples who have spoken in this thread.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Alexandra9

I was responding to the statement that "The Earth is self-aware." I won't comment on whether it's alive or not as I'm not scientifically qualified to make a statement of what counts as 'life' or not....but I can comment on something being self-aware, as I myself am self-aware, and I know what it means to be self-aware. If the Earth were self-aware, wouldn't it have the capacity to act? If not, that not only sucks, but we'd have no viable evidence to make such a claim. As of now, the only way we can determine if something/someone is self-aware is based on actions. If the Earth can act, then why doesn't it? Wouldn't it try to alleviate itself of the poison that is humanity? We are destroying Earth, so would a self-aware being that can act allow itself to be destroyed by parasitic organisms? That is why I said the OP's claim makes no sense.
edit on 8-12-2011 by Alexander_Supertramp because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander_Supertramp

I was responding to the statement that "The Earth is self-aware." I won't comment on whether it's alive or not as I'm not scientifically qualified to make a statement of what counts as 'life' or not....but I can comment on something being self-aware, as I myself am self-aware, and I know what it means to be self-aware. If the Earth were self-aware, wouldn't it have the capacity to act? If not, that not only sucks, but we'd have no viable evidence to make such a claim. As of now, the only way we can determine if something/someone is self-aware is based on actions. If the Earth can act, then why doesn't it? Wouldn't it try to alleviate itself of the poison that is humanity? We are destroying Earth, so would a self-aware being that can act allow itself to be destroyed by parasitic organisms? That is why I said the OP's claim makes no sense.

how can something have self awareness if it is not alive. This discussion is going reallllly downhill. Were not in alice in wonderland. Something can not be conscious and self aware without being alive...

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Truth be told, we don't know whether it is sentient or not

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Well, our(human) version of self-awareness isn't necessarily the defining version of self-awareness, now is it? I mean, it's natural that we use it as a reference point, but I'd hardly go down the road of thinking that, if indeed, a planet has consciousness, that it's form of self-awareness would mirror our own. Too much we don't know about how the multiverse, and all it's denizens, actually work to think so narrowly about this. My experiences lead me to the conclusion that planets CAN be self-aware, but how it manifests itself is beyond our current understanding...
edit on 10-12-2011 by LightsideAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Every form of life gives life to that which is around it as well, we know the human conscious can be connected to each other, we know that plant life is also self aware to some point, therefore could it be possible that much like the recent movie AVATAR shows the planet is connected to every living thing around it, I believe it is highly possible that our planet itself is alive and to a higher point self aware or perhaps multi aware (perhaps the planet can see through all life on itself?) either way I support that we are causing alot of pain for the planet I suppport that we need to take action and be responsible for our planet and ourselves.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by alien

i LOVE fiddlehead greens. Can't wait for spring - or the chance to reconnect with my earth. ...It's been 17 below all week and I feel ...DISconnected.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by RazielRabencuuk

All I KNOW is that you just made theories and ideas SOUND like facts. Stop brainwashing people. Its dangerous to be this gullible. Take advantage of the mountain of information we have access to in our generation and and do some research. Once you do, you wont need to live in this imaginary world anymore, you can come back to reality.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
maybe its part of a living creature but its not a conscious being itself.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stratus9
reply to post by Sly1one

All of your photobucket images failed because photobucket has turned into a bunch of greedy thugs who will let you post images and they last a day until blocked by Pb with a request for you to upgrade to paid.

Try IMGUR.com

thank you for the link! I will be using them instead of photobucket from now on!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nikkithegreat
First of all you say that this idea has in no way been planted into you whatsoever, its what you came up with alll by yourself. Wrong. I don`t even blame you for thinking this but let me explain. MOST of the time, when you go about your hectic daily routine of life your SUBCONSCIOUS mind is active. This means, symbols, conversations, trigger words, ideas, pictures, even beliefs are entering your brain with no awareness and no filter.

I'm sorry but again you aren't enlightening me here, I am very well aware of the subconscious and how it works probably more so than you...look through my threads and posts here at ATS and this will be quite obvious.

Enough said but just for fun, lets go further. This gaia earth being alive idea is in no way new and i grantee you have heard if from somewhere else before. You might agree with the ideas but this alone in combination with your unaware subconscious can completely hijack what you believe to be reality and also what you believe to be YOUR thoughts and not the idea of others.

So the mere possibility that I was "brainwashed" with "gaia subliminals" that I am already well aware of and watch out for is enough for you to dismiss the notion entirely outright as false? hmm ok...

As I stated before my OWN thoughts came from observations of NATURE not artificial subliminals (unless you believe I'm being brainwashed by earth itself?)...I made these observations throughout my life when I would go hiking, camping, rafting, gardening, etc...these observations didn't' come from a commercial or a book or a movie...they came straight from my brain's innate ability to recognize patterns and consistency in form/function.

Secondly, you wanted proof that you were missing that i didnt enlighten you with. Great questions and i will provide you with that.

is earth alive?
No.

the earth does not make itself grow. it get bigger over time due to "cosmic dust" and meteors that fall on it, but it does not make itself bigger

Humans do not make themselves grow. They get bigger over time due to "genetic coding" and nutrition they eat, but they do not make themselves bigger...so this must mean humans aren't alive...

The earth does not consume energy. If there was NOTHING living on earth, the earth would GIVE OFF energy, not consume energy.

you just said the earth doesn't consume energy, then you gave a hypothetical (nothing living on earth), then claimed the earth would give OFF energy if it were in your previous hypothetical state (dead state), then finished up with the implication that earth consumes energy in its real state (alive state), even though your first claim was that it didn't...

Even if that confusion riddled "proof" was understandable you seem to be claiming that dead planets "give off" energy?? If this is the case how much energy does Pluto, Mars, Venus, Mercury, etc etc..."give off"?? and in what form?

do you know what the hell you are talking about? I'ts becoming apparent you don't...either that or you are confused 8 ways from Sunday...

The earth does not move itself around. The earth moves through space because of gravitational fields which in turn define ORBITS. The earth cannot choose where it wants to go.

you realize that the mere existence of earth is what (according to GR and SR) creates gravity right? the gravitational fields you are referring to are created by objects with mass rotating on their axis through space...this is why there is a moon up there that is tidally locked...the earth is creating the mechanism (gravity) that you just said has control over earth's movement...

The sun is creating the gravity that is holding earth in its solar-orbit. Just as Earth's gravity keeps you and I down here stuck on earth. As much as you would like to think you have "freedom of motion" you don't.

You just asserted earlier that because of subconscious brainwashing (which I believe in) I cannot "choose" where I go. I am merely "reacting" to subliminal brainwashing by believing what I believe and choosing what I chose. (this implies you too by the way just in case you don't have access to a mirror I thought I would point that out for consideration)

So just as the earth's movements through space are in "response" to the cause "gravitational fields" and define "orbits" the human beings movements/beliefs are responses to their "subconscious brainwashing" and define "choices"

The earth does not reproduce itself. there is no "Mama earth" and "Papa earth". There are no "baby earths".

Its obvious just from the life on earth that reproduction comes in many forms/functions, how do you know what earth's reproductive process is enough to say it doesn't have one?

Its like saying that because reptiles don't have belly-buttons that they aren't alive because they can't birth babies.
edit on 10-12-2011 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-12-2011 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
This sounds like a job for.... Captain Planet!

"Earth!" "Fire!" "Wind!" "Water!" "Heart!"
"Go Planet!"

"By your powers combined, I am Captain Planet!"

Captain Planet, he's a hero!
gonna take pollution down to zero!
He's our powers magnified
and he's fighting on the planet's side!

Captain Planet, he's a hero!
gonna take pollution down to zero!
Gonna help him put asunder
bad guys who like to loot and plunder!

"We're the planeteers, you can be one too!"
"Cuz saving our planet is the thing to do!"
"Looting and polluting is not the way!"
"Hear what captain planet has to say!"

"THE POWER IS YOURS!"

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

how can something have self awareness if it is not alive. This discussion is going reallllly downhill. Were not in alice in wonderland. Something can not be conscious and self aware without being alive...

Have to agree here- We are living creatures, and there are millions of species of living creatures on this planet, but guys I hate to break it to you, the Earth, and all the other planets, are just big chunks of rock and minerals upon which an ecosystem has evolved. It has no 'consciousness' because it has no brain. It has no circulatory, respiratory, or digestive system. It has no life in itself, though it obviously has life ON itself. Try this: read a book on biology, then read a book on geology, then compare the two. You will find no similarities.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

The sun is creating the gravity that is holding earth in its solar-orbit. Just as Earth's gravity keeps you and I down here stuck on earth. As much as you would like to think you have "freedom of motion" you don't.

Dude Yuri Gagarin called from 1961 he has something to tell you about "freedom of motion"...

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by SirTFiedSkeptic

Try this: read a book on biology, then read a book on geology, then compare the two. You will find no similarities.

did you even read the OP? Basically what I did was compare the form/function of biology and geology...and found some curious similarities that I find to be quite profound, so I posted.

Having said that you cannot simplify earth as just a floating ecosystem...For earth to have become what it has involves so many complex mechanisms in place that it surpasses the human body in design/function on the grander scale.

If anything you should be reassessing what it means to be "alive" and "self-aware" because the very nature of form/function that made earth possible is very similar in form/function to what made you and all life you know of possible, and that is what this thread is addressing.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SirTFiedSkeptic

Dude Yuri Gagarin called from 1961 he has something to tell you about "freedom of motion"...

yes yes and yet even when we break earths gravity we are still bound by the sun's then by the galaxies and then by and then by and then by...

you missed the point entirely really...the point being that everything acting is actually only "reacting" and that includes human beings.

-I could tell you "prove to me you can hop on one leg" and when you do so, all you have really done is react to my request...

-If you refuse to hop on one leg you are still reacting to my request...and have proven to me nothing of your ability to hop on one leg but only your ability to refuse a request.

-If you do something else entirely in protest you are still reacting to my request because you are doing something you otherwise wouldn't do for reasons you otherwise wouldn't have...

I truly don't think people are as in control of things as they believe and their refusal to admit so says a great deal about how their "self-awareness" works off denial...

I wonder if bacterial mutations reacting to antibiotics think they are self-aware in doing so...

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
This thread is still stuck on not realizing the earth is a rock on which life exists, but that fact doesn't make the rock alive?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by tangonine
This thread is still stuck on not realizing the earth is a rock on which life exists, but that fact doesn't make the rock alive?

Well, I guess if you say so...

I mean lets not acknowledge the fact this "rock" has an inner molten core and a magnetosphere. lets not acknowledge this "rock" creates "gravity" and has another "rock' orbiting it...lets not acknowledge anything about this "rock" that could possibly make it "more than a rock" because that would shatter my perception of the world and my place in it and well, I'm just not comfortable with that yet.

I totally get it now, a simple rock and earth...exactly the same!!!

actually who the hell knows...maybe a simple rock and earth are exactly the same and are both alive...maybe it all depends on what "scale' you are able to perceive or at least conceptualize things at.

edit on 11-12-2011 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sly1one

Originally posted by tangonine

Well, I guess if you say so...

I mean lets not acknowledge the fact this "rock" has an inner molten core and a magnetosphere. lets not acknowledge this "rock" creates "gravity" and has another "rock' orbiting it...lets not acknowledge anything about this "rock" that could possibly make it "more than a rock" because that would shatter my perception of the world and my place in it and well, I'm just not comfortable with that yet.

I totally get it now, a simple rock and earth...exactly the same!!!

actually who the hell knows...maybe a simple rock and earth are exactly the same and are both alive...maybe it all depends on what "scale' you are able to perceive or at least conceptualize things at.

edit on 11-12-2011 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

You just said:

The rock is a melted rock with another rock orbiting it. Your place on the rock, or within the universe, is not part of the point.

How's that poem go?

A man said to the universe
I exist!
The universe replied
That fact does not create in me
Any sense of obligation

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightsideAssassin

Well, our(human) version of self-awareness isn't necessarily the defining version of self-awareness, now is it? I mean, it's natural that we use it as a reference point, but I'd hardly go down the road of thinking that, if indeed, a planet has consciousness, that it's form of self-awareness would mirror our own. Too much we don't know about how the multiverse, and all it's denizens, actually work to think so narrowly about this. My experiences lead me to the conclusion that planets CAN be self-aware, but how it manifests itself is beyond our current understanding...
edit on 10-12-2011 by LightsideAssassin because: (no reason given)

I'm not saying that there isn't a possibility the Earth is self-aware. I'm just saying that based on what we currently know about consciousness there is no evidence to point toward it. All we know right now about consciousness and self-awareness is what we experience in the 1st person, so that's all we've got to go on. I just don't see how someone can claim the Earth is self-aware if based on our current understanding of it. Thus, it makes no sense.

*That doesn't mean our understanding of consciousness won't change and evolve. It most likely will. But until that time, why make extravagant claims that have no base foundation?

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join