It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth is a self-aware living creature

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by tangonine
I'm going to make the "gaia" crowd nutz here, but... earth is just a rock. On which, there is life. Beating drums and meditating isn't going to change that.

Damn. Now I want to go find a rock and break it open in the hope of finding a molten core. I might even find a rock with its own atmosphere and life on it
Nope. The earth is more than a rock.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by steveknows

I'm going to make the "gaia" crowd nutz here, but... earth is just a rock. On which, there is life. Beating drums and meditating isn't going to change that.

Damn. Now I want to go find a rock and break it open in the hope of finding a molten core. I might even find a rock with its own atmosphere and life on it

Nope. It's just a rock.

It's happenstance that the rock is in the orbit it is in and has the moon it has and is able to sustain life.

These facts in no way indicate that the aforementioned rock is "alive." In fact, if you think it's alive, you're probably clinically insane.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

You (I mean YOU) couldn't find a rock that had a molten core, much less break it open. Silliness.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Love this thread!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

You (I mean YOU) couldn't find a rock that had a molten core, much less break it open. Silliness.

What's up sook? You all upset because I don't agree with you and you're only able to see what's in front of your face. Or is my drum louder and got more of a beat than yours?

I guess that's what happens to you when you use such a sad analogy as to compare the planet to a rock.
Now that is what I call silliness.
edit on 7-12-2011 by steveknows because: Typo

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Nope. It's just a rock.

It's happenstance that the rock is in the orbit it is in and has the moon it has and is able to sustain life.

These facts in no way indicate that the aforementioned rock is "alive." In fact, if you think it's alive, you're probably clinically insane.

Well 1st grade science shows that the planet actually has tectonics plates that float on a molten core and isn't actually a rock. Pick up a rock break it open and see if it's made up of plates and has a molten core. I guess you didn't make it through 1st grade.

Be gone with you. No constructive debate coming in from your posts.
edit on 7-12-2011 by steveknows because: Add

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I can't imagine anything worse than being a sentient being that is totally unable to move on its own. If Earth is self-aware, wouldn't it have the capacity to act? Same goes with bacteria, cancer, etc. It's certainly a lovely and poetic idea, but it makes no sense.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by kindred
If the Earth is a sentient being, then would someone mind asking Gaia if she could help us all out and herself, by opening a giant sinkhole beneath the Federal Reserve, US Congress, Palace of Westminster and the EU Paliament & HQ.

Nothing less? ...and nothing more? or is that for a start?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by nikiano
reply to post by Sly1one

If you think about how the universe expands and contracts, that has always made me think that the Universe is also a living entity, and it's expansions and contractions are like it's breath.

And if you take that one step further, and think of our planets, suns, galaxies and universe's all being parts of God...the universe expanding and contracting could be the breath of God. Who knows, really!

Yes! The flow of life has a constant waxing and waning of energy...the waves of the sea, blood flow (heartbeats), breathing, expansion and contraction, heat and cold...even life and death. Everything that "happens" happens through the ebb and flow of life-force. I am a firm supporter of the theory that we are "created" in the image of "God" and that we are a functional part (cell of some kind) of a larger organism. Further that our bodies reflect the greater order of things. So that we are to "God" what our own cells are to us! I haven't read about Gaia before! I will look it up. My beliefs are just based on my senses. It just makes sense to me...resonates with me...somehow. It is not a very promising fate for mankind...nor overly romantic...but still makes sense.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Alexander_Supertramp

First of all you are looking at it only from the perspective of your predicament. Do you think a tree cares much it cannot "move" in your sense? It moves its roots in search of nutrients and stretches towards the sun for energy. I tend to think it believes it is moving enough.

Another point to consider is the fact that you and I have no idea whether or not the Earth is moving in the way it wants/needs to. We do know it spins and revolves around its sun following its orbit (which btw deviates alittle every now and then slowly changing its course.

Then, note that the entire universe is thus moving. A cycle we know as birthing and dying. The Universe is moving. But not on OUR scale of time and space. Only humans perceive in a human way.

Cheers

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Sorry to hog page 12 but I just found this thread and had to butt in! a few times

Just wanted to add - bless you OP and contributors for this topic and letting me know that I am not the only "crazy" person here who, among other things, wonders if my cells (or bacteria) wonder about their universe in the way I am pondering "my universe".

Microcosm-macrocosm theories make sense in many ways. There are similarities between our human organism and Earth's functions (and universe - or the part of it we "know") that are too obvious and clear to dismiss.

I might as well add a reminder that everything on Earth and the "known" universe is made up of the same material. This leads to the plausible conclusion that we are in fact all a part of a larger entity. Whatever you want to call it.

And the constant flow of life and also movement of energy and matter indicates that it is all "alive".

Our bones are a part of our physical structure too. But they are not "alive". Right? So this rock that some of us call Earth
may be part of the bone-structure. Or a protective crust of the cell that it is! An energy cell for instance. Nonetheless, it sustains various lifeforms, it circulates energy, moves, expands and contracts. On some level it is very much a living thing. Or, at the very least, a particle inside another living being? What is life anyway? We are assuming that we are alive and intelligent. We have no idea what is this thing we are in! We only know what we can see and feel. And all we know of universe is that it is vast and that there are galaxies that each revolve around some center...and supernovas and dark matter and black holes...blah.

Imagine you were a tiny cell inside a human body. it would look very much like a big dark universe that we see...no?

Again, thank you OP
S&F

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nikkithegreat
i would like to start with stating that i don't blame you for what your thinking BUT id like to shine light on just a few overlooked points. Firstly, it seems to me that you came up with an idea, and went and researched on points defending your idea and completely ignoring facts that could potentially harm it. This is what i call pseudo science. Turning a blind eye to information that could potentially render your idea useless does not mean its not there it just means your betting on the chance of there being alot of lazy people looking for ANY answer no matter how nonsensical it may be to believe in.

I don't know about OP...but I have never researched this topic for its sake. Nor bumped into it by chance while reading something else. I never saw a movie about it. However it occured to me and developed over time. I was just constantly bombarded by the conectedness and similarities while observing the world. I guess it stems from my study of microbes, biology, chemistry and life in general...life as we know it. My belief is philosophical and based on "the best that has been known" on the subject of life. External literature includes the bible and some esoteric mystic...whose name I don't even remember who talks about micro-macrocosm set-up. Never ever came across this topic before as it has been quite an internal..."revelation". Never looked for it.

I did look at all the possible options for refuting the theory. I have so far not been able to. Every other theory seems to get to a dead-end...you know... missing link...missing time...missing something. This one misses nothing. And accounts for everything.

How would you define that? I have not been influenced by Gaia (that I am hearing of for the first time) or any writing or film on the subject.

Can you direct me towards those sources where I could research those facts you suggest are being ignored...the ones that could potentially harm this theory.

Thanks

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

What's up sook? You all upset because I don't agree with you and you're only able to see what's in front of your face. Or is my drum louder and got more of a beat than yours?

I guess that's what happens to you when you use such a sad analogy as to compare the planet to a rock.
Now that is what I call silliness.
edit on 7-12-2011 by steveknows because: Typo

Given that the planet is, actually, a rock you may want to rethink calling that "silliness." It kinda makes you look, well, uneducated.

But have fun with your drum circle.

/aside: who's "sook?"
edit on 7-12-2011 by tangonine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Nope. It's just a rock.

Well 1st grade science shows that the planet actually has tectonics plates that float on a molten core and isn't actually a rock. Pick up a rock break it open and see if it's made up of plates and has a molten core. I guess you didn't make it through 1st grade.

Hah. It's a rock. just because it has a motlen core now doesn't change the fact that it's mostly iron. And molten iron is sooo much more self aware than solid iron? really?

Be gone with you, no useful science coming in from your posts.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
if the earth is alive we are the most evil and sadistic creatures who exist

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheStar
if the earth is alive we are the most evil and sadistic creatures who exist

The earth ain't, and we are.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TheStar

I would probably consider us a cause of disease in a the organism. I've thought about this topic much before, comparing it to ourselves on a cellular level instead. A much more complex cell than those of our own, with organelles (organisms, ourselves included) performing specific purposes for the sustenance of homeostasis. We've essentially become diseased organelles, with a malformed development which has made us lose a central purpose to the whole. Almost as a cancer, where our sense of regulation has been disturbed, leading to our over ambitious and earth threatening over production/consumption. Bad humans, chemotherapy for you

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Nope. It's just a rock.

Hah. It's a rock. just because it has a motlen core now doesn't change the fact that it's mostly iron. And molten iron is sooo much more self aware than solid iron? really?

Be gone with you, no useful science coming in from your posts.

That's twice you've replied to the same posts twice and I don't mean a double post. You really do get hung up on things don't you. Even when you have no idea what you're talking about.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
And of course this one.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by alien

precisely.. I never said TPTB created the idea. I said its been branded and sold to you for the simple fact that people will buy it and it is yet another way of controlling the masses. Listen, its very simple. Its all around us all you have to do is open your eyes. Im not trying to attack anyones beliefs im just trying to help shed some light on what i know is being overlooked. I cant make you believe anything, all i have the RIGHT to say is the facts. Religion has segregated, made evil and harm to others seem okay because of religious beliefs, and controlled the masses of people not by FACT but by controlling the heats and minds of innocent people trying to find ANYTHING to believe in. The movement of this gaia worship has been lead by the government and people wayy up in the social pyramid. All i hope is for you to do some research on this. If you still want to believe in this, than its you`re choice.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sly1one

Originally posted by Nikkithegreat
i would like to start with stating that i don't blame you for what your thinking BUT id like to shine light on just a few overlooked points. Firstly, it seems to me that you came up with an idea, and went and researched on points defending your idea and completely ignoring facts that could potentially harm it. This is what i call pseudo science. Turning a blind eye to information that could potentially render your idea useless does not mean its not there it just means your betting on the chance of there being alot of lazy people looking for ANY answer no matter how nonsensical it may be to believe in. Luckily for you most of that population are members of this site. You have fallen in a trap of a new world religion which has been branded packaged and sold to you whether you believe it or not. AND trust me TPTB want you to believe just this, which is why they call it a new world "religion" ..you are not the first or the last to believe in a theory such as this. But im sorry to tell you, you have traded one form of bondage for another and there is no reason why anyone should take this seriously.

I am willing to hear you out and consider your point if but you would actually explain to me or show me the evidence I apparently "intentionally overlooked" ??? I didn't see it in your post so maybe you can enlighten me further?

Also, as far as the "new age doctrine" goes I've heard this a few times from several posters who quite frankly I think have been so inundated with a fear of ANYTHING NEW because of the rampant NWO fear that is making people fly off the hinge at anything even hinting at "new world order" this isn't going to keep you safe by the way...

I don't agree with a "new world order", I don't believe in man made ideas of control, authority, and power and a restructuring of government I am well aware of those intentions my ideas are not from propaganda and I didn't fall victim to the "new age" hype people seem to constantly be referring, you again are not enlightening me to anything new that I am not already well aware of and constantly mindful of...

Having said all this, my thread was about observations that I MADE on my own in my own life through my own experience, the parallels were of my OWN realization and only used well known concepts of function/form to facilitate my OPINION about this "topic"...

Having said all that how in sam hell can anyone here even begin to make a valid argument against living with earth in harmony and in balance with the principals of nature that made us all possible? How could someone form any decent counter-argument that could come anywhere near legitimate and NOT biased opinion?

I am referencing only the processes by which everything was created/exists/and persists, the processes that made all life we know of so far even possible which was here long long before you and I were able to form "opinions"...Any other reference to "god" or "religion" or "new world order" or whatever the hell is strictly coming from peoples desire to interpret this information through those goggles...

So I'll ask you like I asked others...where/how/what are these facts I am apparently missing that "destroy" the notion that earth is alive?

First of all you say that this idea has in no way been planted into you whatsoever, its what you came up with alll by yourself. Wrong. I don`t even blame you for thinking this but let me explain. MOST of the time, when you go about your hectic daily routine of life your SUBCONSCIOUS mind is active. This means, symbols, conversations, trigger words, ideas, pictures, even beliefs are entering your brain with no awareness and no filter. Enough said but just for fun, lets go further. This gaia earth being alive idea is in no way new and i grantee you have heard if from somewhere else before. You might agree with the ideas but this alone in combination with your unaware subconscious can completely hijack what you believe to be reality and also what you believe to be YOUR thoughts and not the idea of others.

Secondly, you wanted proof that you were missing that i didnt enlighten you with. Great questions and i will provide you with that.

is earth alive?
No.

the earth does not make itself grow. it get bigger over time due to "cosmic dust" and meteors that fall on it, but it does not make itself bigger

The earth does not consume energy. If there was NOTHING living on earth, the earth would GIVE OFF energy, not consume energy.

The earth does not move itself around. The earth moves through space because of gravitational fields which in turn define ORBITS. The earth cannot choose where it wants to go.

The earth does not reproduce itself. there is no "Mama earth" and "Papa earth". There are no "baby earths".

These are some of the qualities that define what is "alive" and what is "not alive":
Living things consume energy. That energy is used to grow, reproduce, and move.
Living things move around. Even plants "move" in response to sunlight or moisture.
Living thing grow.
Living things reproduce themselves. They make "babies", be that as an egg or as a baby animal, or as a seed or spore.

ALL of these must be present for something to be considered alive. Rocks STORE energy, but do not USE energy. rocks do not eat. Rocks do not move by themselves. Rocks do not make "baby rocks"

The earth is made of rock. Rock is not alive. the Earth is not alive.

MANY living things live on earth, but the earth itself is NOT alive.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join