Earth is a self-aware living creature

page: 11
180
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

log in

join

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
What I have always thought of the human race is very much reflected byTHIS. But it's only a movie right? Wrong. Ok, I'm not saying we're gonna be ruled by self-aware robots but we a virus. How many fictional works have reflected reality as time passed on. Too many to count I'm affraid. Just take the works of Jules Verne for instance. Many of his tales have become reality.




posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Gaia theory was first put forth by James Lovelock and later developed and investigated by Lynn Margulis and maybe Dorion Sagan.

---

I'm not too sure about the "ancients knew better" theory. Egyptian history was riddled with war.

I think maybe a good example to follow would be the early Indus civilization. I heard from the archeology in that region, it was determined that there was a very long period of peace. They could not find any traces of weapons, for the entire period. It was a large and sophisticated modern civilization comparable to Sumeria, only without the war.

---

Some view humans like a cancer, since cancer cells act for their own selfish purpose without any regard for the well being of the whole organism (not that the cells are acting consciously).

Sometimes the cancer wins, and sometimes it loses. I guess it depends on how fit the body is (both physically and "spiritually").
edit on 5-12-2011 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)
edit on 5-12-2011 by alien because: ...mention of drug-taking removed...



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wheelindiehl
I would have to say that the heart of the Earth and it's blood would be the core and the magma that flows throughout the Earth rather than rivers and streams


I actually agree with this more than the oceans and seas (which I posted), thanks for pointing that possibility out. The oceans and seas seemed in paralell terms to how the human vascular system works the logical answer however the core fo the earth and the magma chambers and lava tubes etc could very well meet that same parallel.

The rivers and steams and magma could be all connected in a cycle such as the veins (rivers/streams) return blood to the heart and the arteries (magma/lava) pump blood out to the various organs that make up the human body.

So the vascular system could indeed be both rivers/lakes/lava/magma in a circular fashion much like the heart. I wonder if water coming in contact with lava deep in the earths core is what creates the pressure that ultimately "pumps" the lava/magma throughout the earth.
edit on 5-12-2011 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by nOraKat
I had the same idea on a mushroom trip one day.

Gaia theory was first put forth by James Lovelock and later developed and investigated by Lynn Margulis and maybe Dorion Sagan.

---

I'm not too sure about the "ancients knew better" theory. Egyptian history was riddled with war.

I think maybe a good example to follow would be the early Indus civilization. I heard from the archeology in that region, it was determined that there was a very long period of peace. They could not find any traces of weapons, for the entire period. It was a large and sophisticated modern civilization comparable to Sumeria, only without the war.


It is possible that the road that lead us to this current modern world wasn't over night. Its possible the knowledge the megalithic ancients knew was too tempting not to dable in for control/power etc and thus eventually grew out of control to where it is today.

I am wary about believing the traditional ideas of how "history" went down in regards to how the ancients conducted themselves and why. Its become apparent that in the world of history there is a significant amount of lying by omission.



Some view humans like a cancer, since cancer cells act for their own selfish purpose without any regard for the well being of the whole organism (not that the cells are acting consciously).


And exactly how "conscious" are humans? I mean we are aware of ourselves but our consciousness seems to fail when considering the bigger picture, what we came from and what we are a part of. In this instance much like a cancer cell would be aware that it is a cell but would not be aware it is a "cancer" or part of a "human body" until its consciousness can expand and include the bigger picture and what it is part of.

Humans have just as much automatic knee jerk unconscious response to the world around them as any other life form. This is why propaganada and subliminals work. We aren't as in control and self-aware as I think we would like to THINK we are.

Sometimes the cancer wins, and sometimes it loses. I guess it depends on how fit the body is (both physically and "spiritually").
edit on 5-12-2011 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)


I have some personal ideas as to why cancer functions as it does etc, but that is a whole other can of worms I don't want to open up here lol

edit on 5-12-2011 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)
edit on 5-12-2011 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Maybe one can also view the development of the internet (and even prior communication networks), like the development of a nervous system, or mind, of an organism shortly after birth.

Maybe we can somehow utilize (organize) the internet not just to express our complaints on forums, but somehow - to utilize it as a means of mobilization, where the whole organism can express it's intention and it would be acted out in reality. It can be a true diplomatic worldwide forum where people can run for seats of influence and administrate the earth. Only this time it will truly act for the benefit of the whole organism.

This is an idea I have been juggling in my head for a while. It will be the mind for Gaia. I call it "Open Source Earth". An open source "program" or forum/administration that resides on the internet. It will administrate the Earth. It will hold free and open worldwide elections for representatives who debate on how the world should be governed. It will be run *not* by people with the most money or media influence, but by those who are most "qualified" for the positions. The "program" (that is, the method of how the administration operates and elections take place) must always be "open source", in that its method is always viewable, verifiable and modifiable by the public.

This is what most people would like to believe we have now, but it is obviously a sham.

I think the key to avoiding another cryptocracy / plutocracy is the concept of "open source". A viewable and verifiable (software) program that would act as a system that will administrate the world. There can be no secret to the way it operates. The system will be instated by the majority (by force), viewing it as the only fair system.

The program can:

- Hold open and honest fair elections, free from heavily financed campaigns and media influence; where truly qualified people can express their qualifications and have the opportunity to run for a seat.

-The open source aspect of administration will eliminate the possibility of a pseudo / facade government (appearing to be one thing, yet act and operate in another manner).

-It can even act as a verifiable source of information to educate the world body on its true state of affairs, and even educate on methods and techniques of living.

---

I don't know, it's just an idea.. but then how to get past the current all pervading finance-media-military control? I don't know.
edit on 5-12-2011 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Ozvaldo
 


You do realize that the idea of evolution is really a Pagan creation belief. ?

And that is why Evolution competes with religion so well, because it is a religion...

As a Christian I am glad to not be apart of any religion. Christianity is relationship not religion. In religion humanity seeks God, Christianity inverts the process: as a loving Father, God reaches for humanity.



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ozvaldo
The best way to ignore the God Squad is to ignore their posts. After all, that is what they do when they are backed into a corner, and scientific evidence about the Earth and evolution is presented to them. Don't get me wrong, they will argue into the cows come home, but eventually when the TRUTH is proved they will just ignore you.

I have read the OP 3 times now and am still enjoying it, don't let the GS ruin this very well put together thread!


You're right. The God squad should just be ignored. I am more than happy to point out the holes in theirr story on a religious forum but this isn't a religious forum no matter how much the God squad are trying to make it so.



posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one
 


I am taking some classes right now on riverine/watershed dynamics, and your post completely jibes with what I was thinking in class tonight. For us westerners cut off from what other civilizations so clearly understood, aspects of ecological science can re-open our eyes (in a materialistic language we unfortunately have been reduced to understanding) as to how much what happens in the headwaters of a system affects the final outcome in the delta.



posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
It would seem that Earth is very aware. I wonder what keeps the inside of the planet molten. Did mars core burn out? If this theory is correct then wouldn't all planets have minds of their own?

Interesting concept.



posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
mmmmm I think you are forgetting the fact that the earth is made up of rock and theres molten lava under the crust?

what about the sun :l what would that be?

yes the earth could be considered a livving creature but its just like we know trees are alive in a sense.

it is possible that our universe is a unimaginal creatures brain and we are just a cell.. .but at the same time it could be how it is? Alot of people are brought up to believe in magic/santa/fairy/boogie-monsters only to find out its not real and i think it has created a world where pyschologically we are all trying to find that magic/excitement/the unkown.

trees were the result of algae

Our water systems were a result of rain and streams

and what about all the other planets in the solar system

even if all this was true there was nothing we could do about it except do our jobs as whatever a good organism job entitles. If you proved this right by some means of impossible means what would that do to us as a species? you would basically be confirming that all religions are wrong and nothing we do is relevant except just to live and die for some larger organism ...and personally thats a disturbing thought for me. I'm pretty sure our cells dont question its actions it just does it because its designed to. **EDIT** Can I just point out i have no faith in any religion and being blunt i think it is a very primitive instinct to believe in such a thing - but unfortunatly some people just cannot function without the hope that they are under protection constantly from some higher being or that death isn't the end .... of course I cannot disprove religion nor do I care to even try because just like a baby if you take away the pacifier that comforts them they start screaming and crying.

I'm not sure what my point is here except i would be interested in what arguments people have against my opinions or whether people agree that of course there are theories as to what everything is about ...but then there is just plain ridiculous imo
edit on 6-12-2011 by ell8u because: Added text



posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
If you live near any nature at all, just go and look at it. In your small corner of this small planet teeming with life.
To think that the whole thing is not working on similar lines is the ridiculous theory.
To think that most people think we are the 'pinnacle' of this universal evolution cracks me up every time.
Oooh, maybe we can manage the universe in the same glib and ignorant way as we manage this planet.
In years gone by the arguments were ' how many angels will fit on the head of a pin', an esoteric question by those who pretend to know the nature of the universe. Now the question has become ' how much destruction can we wreak by smashing something that will fit on the head of a pin'. How much 'stuff' can we remove from the body of our host (and no one seems to consider the possibility that we may indeed kill said host) to make our lives easier.
But the bigger question is : whatever the model, we are a part of it, maybe our destructive nature is all part of the smooth working of said model, we are a product of said mcro/macro cosmic lifecycle. (hehe and here we are only talking about the obvious 'seen' effect we and other lifeforms have.)

Ok, I will stop rambling now, but nice post OP, thanks.



posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maybeboo
If you live near any nature at all, just go and look at it. In your small corner of this small planet teeming with life.
To think that the whole thing is not working on similar lines is the ridiculous theory.
To think that most people think we are the 'pinnacle' of this universal evolution cracks me up every time.
Oooh, maybe we can manage the universe in the same glib and ignorant way as we manage this planet.
In years gone by the arguments were ' how many angels will fit on the head of a pin', an esoteric question by those who pretend to know the nature of the universe. Now the question has become ' how much destruction can we wreak by smashing something that will fit on the head of a pin'. How much 'stuff' can we remove from the body of our host (and no one seems to consider the possibility that we may indeed kill said host) to make our lives easier.
But the bigger question is : whatever the model, we are a part of it, maybe our destructive nature is all part of the smooth working of said model, we are a product of said mcro/macro cosmic lifecycle. (hehe and here we are only talking about the obvious 'seen' effect we and other lifeforms have.)

Ok, I will stop rambling now, but nice post OP, thanks.





the ironic thing is by posting "To think that most people think we are the 'pinnacle' of this universal evolution cracks me up every time" you are saying you have the knowledge or authority to make that judgement or otherwise.

I think people need to learn that you are ALL part of this " dis- harmony" with the planet... just by using this computer and these severs do you know how much of a carbon footprint you have? and what about those clothes your wearing? how about that pizza you ordered the other day ? what about the lights and the hot water your using ? .....none of it is natural .... it all comes from power plants coal burners - tree cutting earth destructive methods.

I accept that this includes myself but I'm hoping one day we spread out into the universe and allow this planet to balance out or we find technology to do the very same....



posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by nOraKat

Gaia theory was first put forth by James Lovelock and later developed and investigated by Lynn Margulis and maybe Dorion Sagan.

---

I'm not too sure about the "ancients knew better" theory. Egyptian history was riddled with war.

I think maybe a good example to follow would be the early Indus civilization. I heard from the archeology in that region, it was determined that there was a very long period of peace. They could not find any traces of weapons, for the entire period. It was a large and sophisticated modern civilization comparable to Sumeria, only without the war.

---

Some view humans like a cancer, since cancer cells act for their own selfish purpose without any regard for the well being of the whole organism (not that the cells are acting consciously).

Sometimes the cancer wins, and sometimes it loses. I guess it depends on how fit the body is (both physically and "spiritually").
edit on 5-12-2011 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)
edit on 5-12-2011 by alien because: ...mention of drug-taking removed...


Don't you agree with evolution though? what if we stayed at the basics? no computers no comfortable lives no medical treatments no transport?

I would say we are a cancer but think about it - we replant trees - we look after animals - we safeguard natural reserves. Everyone has their indulgences and we are not cells that are so black and white - we have choices everyday to be destructive or restorative.

what about if a comet hits the earth? we need technology to get off this planet and to protect the earth...think of it as muscles ....you tear muscles so that it grows strong and more fit .... when we get sick we fight the illness and afterwards we are immune.... what about people with genetic disabilities ? what are they classed as ? ....think of steven hawking he would never of been able to communicate his knowledge without technology but in an "organism homeostasis pure world " that it appears to be described here he wouldve been considered a faulty cell? I dunno.... i think its too easy to generalize this spirituality theory but theres no science or facts behind any of this ...its not a plausible suggestion at all- although interesting its just not got me in the slightest.



posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ell8u
mmmmm I think you are forgetting the fact that the earth is made up of rock and theres molten lava under the crust?

what about the sun :l what would that be?

yes the earth could be considered a livving creature but its just like we know trees are alive in a sense.

it is possible that our universe is a unimaginal creatures brain and we are just a cell.. .but at the same time it could be how it is? Alot of people are brought up to believe in magic/santa/fairy/boogie-monsters only to find out its not real and i think it has created a world where pyschologically we are all trying to find that magic/excitement/the unkown.

trees were the result of algae

Our water systems were a result of rain and streams

and what about all the other planets in the solar system

even if all this was true there was nothing we could do about it except do our jobs as whatever a good organism job entitles. If you proved this right by some means of impossible means what would that do to us as a species? you would basically be confirming that all religions are wrong and nothing we do is relevant except just to live and die for some larger organism ...and personally thats a disturbing thought for me. I'm pretty sure our cells dont question its actions it just does it because its designed to. **EDIT** Can I just point out i have no faith in any religion and being blunt i think it is a very primitive instinct to believe in such a thing - but unfortunatly some people just cannot function without the hope that they are under protection constantly from some higher being or that death isn't the end .... of course I cannot disprove religion nor do I care to even try because just like a baby if you take away the pacifier that comforts them they start screaming and crying.

I'm not sure what my point is here except i would be interested in what arguments people have against my opinions or whether people agree that of course there are theories as to what everything is about ...but then there is just plain ridiculous imo
edit on 6-12-2011 by ell8u because: Added text



symbiotic lifeform. Many makes one and is one. James Lovelock, a world leading scientists with alot of credibility, compares the earths atmosphere to the hair on a cat.



posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
sorry about the image hosting bandwidth issue, never did I think I would hit the limit so quick. I'm looking for an alternate host currently.
edit on 6-12-2011 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
You are part of the universe. You seek to understand. Ergo, you are the universe trying to understand itself.



posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one
 


All of your photobucket images failed because photobucket has turned into a bunch of greedy thugs who will let you post images and they last a day until blocked by Pb with a request for you to upgrade to paid.

Try IMGUR.com



posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Now, I happen to believe what you said- the Earth is a conscious organism.

That being said, there is one passage from Revelations that anti regulations pollution supporters somehow always miss... or have never read: It simply lists the things that God will do at the end of days and the last thing on the list is:

"And should destroy those who destroy the Earth."


www.cogwriter.com...

IE: We as humans ARE capable of destroying the Earth - and are probably in the process of doing so - and those who contribute or support the contributors will be destroyed by God.

This is for those who say 'the rainbow', was Gods promise not to destroy the earth again, so the Earth will survive anything.

That was GODS promise that he/she would not do so... but that doesn't stop man from doing so.




The nations were angry, and Your wrath has come,
And the time of the dead, that they should be judged,
And that You should reward Your servants the prophets and the saints,
And those who fear Your name, small and great,
And should destroy those who destroy the earth (Revelation 11:18).



posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
reply to post by Ozvaldo
 


You do realize that the idea of evolution is really a Pagan creation belief. ?

And that is why Evolution competes with religion so well, because it is a religion...

As a Christian I am glad to not be apart of any religion. Christianity is relationship not religion. In religion humanity seeks God, Christianity inverts the process: as a loving Father, God reaches for humanity.


Actually, the first Pagan Creation story is the Akkadian Enuma Elish. The Enuma Elish is basically the same creation story as told in Genesis. en.wikipedia.org...ûma_Eliš

Most Pagan Creation stories have a 'father' and 'mother' dropped to earth by one or multiple gods to procreate on the earth. Most of the stories involve siblings who have rivalry and most of them also have a world deluge as part of the story.

I haven't seen yet a Pagan Creation story that encompasses an evolutionary process.

I am, however, very confused as to why 'Christians' cannot reconcile evolution with creationism. After all, God IS the greatest scientist, having created everything from atoms, to chemicals, to molecules to planetary systems that all work and interrelate together scientifically and symbiotically.

My thought is that early man (whom the Bible was originally written for) could not grasp complex scientific principles and so a story was developed that allowed these early people to grasp the idea and easily re-tell the story. With the understanding that man would increase in intellect and scientific understanding with time and finally be able to grasp the REALY miraculous way the earth formed and evolved. The God I envision is fully capable of such complex and wondrous interweaving and development of life on earth and beyond.

Evolution as an element of religious belief is MUCH more impressive and mind boggling than two humans being dropped fully formed onto the earth and encouraged to rut like dogs.
edit on 6-12-2011 by Stratus9 because: dinosaurs



posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I'm going to make the "gaia" crowd nutz here, but... earth is just a rock. On which, there is life. Beating drums and meditating isn't going to change that.





new topics
top topics
 
180
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

log in

join