It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The original meaning of sin.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

To sin was at first meant to mean, to miss the mark and has been compared to an arrow that doesn’t reach the spot that is was originally intended to. In other words an arrow that didn’t fore fill its intended mission was called and known as a sin. Sin, of course has plenty of added meanings nowadays and has been infused profusely with guilt and sorrow. But, we must ask ourselves, if we miss the goal should we lay down on the grass in disgrace, never to get up and attempt another shot at the goal ? On the other hand, taking a closer look at the point of the arrow, was this the goal I intended? Or was it simply someone else’s goal, that for some unknown reason we were not able to fore fill.There is nothing wrong with common goals that we partake in if we have chosen to do so. But what is really occurring ? if we have not chosen to do so. Are we being led down the garden path? If so, by whom ? It could be someone close or even worse an old scripture written by a fool who is long and gone. So for me the original sin, is to ignore the reasons why we do any particular act. The good news is that in almost every case, we can find out these answers for ourselves. That is for me a beneficial goal and far away from the original sin.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
You are correct in your definition of sin op! Many people, even Christians, don't know the real meaning of the word. The mark that is being referred to as being missed is the mark, or goal, or standard of God's righteousness. We simply cannot attain to God's perfection, righteousness, power, love, mercy etc. We fall way short, and as a result we do not have relationship with Him. That is why Jesus died. To pay the price for our "missing the mark". It's really no more complicated than that, even though so many try to make it so. We love to make things complicated. It makes us (humans as a whole) think we sound so smart. God made it simple. We can't measure up, so He took up the slack for us and paid our price to restore us to relationship with Him. So, there you go. So just take the gift God offers, and watch the change begin to happen in your life as you walk with God the way we were intended to. Just tell God you want the gift He has paid for through Jesus' sacrifice, and that you will walk with His guidance through this life. He is awesome!! Seriously!!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Original Sin.. it sure got a lot of varying human definitions to it.

Originally, the concept comes from Sumeria.. describing Abombinable acts committed by the Adamma prior to the manufacture of a female version that could reproduce. These acts are illustrated on clay tablets showing early modern human males enjoying "knowing" the beast of the forests.

Interestingly, once a productive female had been manufactured, they were taught the sexual arts by their manufacturer NK (Enki) and sent out to seduce the Males in order to stop the abomination and start the reproduction phase of the new homo sapien-sapien.

These stories pre-date human history and so I would think this is what Original Sin really is.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SubQuantum

There was once a quote I read on that that said: "Aim off the mark by an inch and you'll miss the mark by a mile.". Regardless, I think something can be said for just trying to take a shot.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Yes I suppose you could say that could easily be considered to be an original type of sin.

But you can hardly miss the mark if it didn’t even exist yet, sounds like creation is making it up as it unfolds ? What ever the real case may be, it certainly seems like the creator ( or whatever each person like to call it ) is leaving a lot of local issues up to us.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
In the context of behaviors that affect the consciousness after death, sin is any positive or negative entanglement with the contents of space time that when purely a time kinetic consciousness (as all are after the release called death), causes an entrapping time loop effect for that consciosness. Doing something that is immeasureably wonderful, shockingly horrid makes you re-envision that event in your past, even though you are now elsewhere in the flow of time. Now that event has two (or more) harmonic doors in the time stream whereby the consciousness gets entangled in evermore looping.

In this realm we are space travellers that cannot effectively alter the time flow.

In the next realm we are time travellers that cannot effectively alter the space engaged. (It's whatever you placed there that you will engaged against your will, for eternity) Hopefully you placed the recording of the opened escape Door from this. (or your consciousness was within effective range of someone that did at some point in your life and: 1. They loved you which builds half the bridging mechanism, sometimes the whole bridge; 2. You loved them so as to build the other half of the bridging mechanism)

Love God with all your heart installs the opened Door.
To love your fellow Man permits those that don't love God with all their heart an escape route through you (or you through the one that did, if you didn't)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tkwasny

that was very inspiring, I must say. I have noticed this door in some people. Reflected in some words and music also, how can we step through a door if we have never even heard of it? thanks.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Before I post again in this thread and explain how far you have "missed the point" or sinned by your um, definition, I would like to ask you two questions: What culture and how far back in history did you find this information?
edit on 2-12-2011 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ancientthunder
reply to post by Tayesin

Yes I suppose you could say that could easily be considered to be an original type of sin.

But you can hardly miss the mark if it didn’t even exist yet, sounds like creation is making it up as it unfolds ? What ever the real case may be, it certainly seems like the creator ( or whatever each person like to call it ) is leaving a lot of local issues up to us.

That's kinda how I make it also. I moderatly hold to the tennants of the "Old Church of Making It Up As We Go Along.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

good question, it was a while back I read about it. But I would clearly link it with the ancient Greeks . As I am fairly sure you know, the meaning of words is always changing. In general it is the scribes themselves that can and have twisted its meaning one way or another depending on their current view and understanding,or lack of. So if we take this in to account, we shall see that nobody can really determine what its original intended meaning was. Those scribes of course include yourself and I along with anybody who lets word hit air or paper, or would that be a sin to presume such a thing?
I believe myself that what I have written is always a sin and will never reach the ultimate mark. but I am ok with that. As long as I feel that the world/word had grown from the experience, I am contented but never fully satisfied. Our only real judge is ourselves and along with that will come TIME with its new interpretations. Having said that, I heartily look forward to your interpretation and anything it may add to update our current misconceptions about sin.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Thank you for your reply and description and I do think that definition did come from the Greeks, however it is much much older than that definition. Its origins actually go back to pre-dynastic Egypt. The worship of the cycles of Night and Day ie, the cycles of life being life and death were the predominate at the time. There were two aspects worshiped as gods whom oversaw their part of the cycle. Those two gods were represented as the Sun and the Moon. The Sun god, known as Amen, represented birth and life and the Moon god, known as Sin, represented death and the afterlife.

The cycles of Birth(sunrise), Life(the day), Death(sunset), and the Afterlife(night) were seen as a progression and one process. Amen, meaning “hidden”, was the main deity of the city of Thebes(Karnak and Luxor) from Pre-Dynastic Egypt and was seen as the creation Deity by the priests of Hemopolis. He was depicted as ram-headed, more specifically a woolly ram with curved horns. When the Thebians established their sovereignty in Egypt during the Middle Kingdom, Amen became a dominant deity and by the 8th Dynasty he had became the king of the gods. His name was spelled, at this time, in different ways, for example Amen, Amon, Amun, Ammon, Amoun and Imen. By the the 11th Dynasty his name was settled on the spelling of Amun and in the 18th dynasty he had been merged with Ra, thus, Amun-Ra, making him half man and half ram. Later he was associated with Horus and was shown as half man and half Hawk which he is better known today, but I digress.

During this process the cycle was split, as two cycles, Life and Death. Amen, being a jealous god did not stand for people to worship others, so to worship Sin(the Moon god or the Death cycle) was a no no, to put it mildly, making Sin a naughty word. the Eastern symbol of the Yin and Yang attempt to put this concept of cycles back together. The Yin, being the dark side is Lucifer or illuminated by Sin(the Moon) and the Yang, being the light side is God or Amen hidden in the shadows.

The Moon god, Sin, and the Underworld(Egyptian afterlife) which was guarded by the 7 children of the god Anu (aka 7 fates, aka the 7 Judges of Hell) known as the Annunaki(Ananki in Greek) where considered the enemies of Life, as they represented Death and they became the negative(the separation of good and evil) this is how the 7 fates became represented in the Bible as the 7 deadly SINs.

So, if you take this and the loose definitions of Greek words, as they have multiple meanings, you begin to see that to sin is to miss the mark, or miss the point, or to loose the focus of the light, or to fall from Amen to Sin. As you may notice The Sun god Amen is still payed homage in the 3 major religions(Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) at the end of prayer and the Moon god Sin, is still seen as the adversary or opposite of the light. I am willing to show, from the 18th Dynasty Egypt to modern times, how the Priesthood of Amen or, as the spelling became, the Amun-Ra Priesthood influenced the organization of all 3 major religions in order to form a controlling body still in effect today if you wish me to, but that goes beyond the topic of this thread.

If you have questions feel free to ask.

Edit to say: S&F for the thread btw.
edit on 3-12-2011 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Many thanks for your reply, I really appreciate the effort and details you have put in to your words. It certainly opens another way of looking at sin, which I had skimmed over in the past. It seems to me that in ancient times in Egypt along with Summer, they had a very particular way of forming a belief and a social education system. It is clear in many ways, how different it is to our present time. With the need of Gods to depict each particular path. None the less, as surprising as it is those very same systems are here with us but hidden and embedded in society independent of religions. I know from the Zoroastrian system or religious view, the world was painted with very dualistic principles. Nowadays, the coffee shop is a temple, and a message may be spread via beauty and sound. Not that different from the ancient days, in English it is said "to be lead down the garden path" which is very glorious and full of colour but the question is where does that path lead you?
The seven children seem to be the seven paths of judgements, which I feel you are saying lead you to be judged as if those 7 paths predetermine you own judgement. Personally, I like the Buddhist approach, which is neither for any gods nor are they particularly against them. Its about choosing the most beneficial path out of suffering. I see also the in ancient India the moon was known as Anumati, which ties in well with your version of sin. Perhaps and this is an intuitive leap, the only sin of the moon was to change shape. But most of us now know that this is not so, it is only us that view her in this manner. "Only when the moon is full and round make your wishes abound for they are sure to come true on earth and at sea." perhaps in this old poem the nightime path can be also found. For man, must see not only in the day but in the night also. It is also obvious, that man has always been in the dark with regards to many things. Such is the destiny of man, even with our old friend Amen laced in to our religions. Here we stand, with many of the same dilemmas. Much like our Luna, sometimes in the dark and at other-times shinning bright.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
From what I can perceive, Sin refers commonly to the materialistic corruption of primal instincts. For example, before mass production, the availability of fat and meat was rare, and therefore, it derived a satisfying taste. Nowadays, due to mass production, we consume large amounts of sugars and fats, simply for the taste, because our taste buds are wired to enjoy it.

The same can be said with a variety of behaviour, for example, reproduction and the use of contraception, material security and a lack of survival instinct, and also a lack of natural empathy and nurture due to a lack of perceived danger or threat.

To be free from sin, thus, is to refrain from seeking gratification, remaining down to Earth.

The punishment for sin is self evident as we throw our bodies and emotions out of natural balance.
edit on 3-12-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

Yes it seems like a very taoist way of seeing things, in spanish it called pecado and apparently pec that meant foot. So from there, where one looses ones balance. Sometimes we are so balanced, we need to be unbalanced to value the natural way of things.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SystemResistor
From what I can perceive, Sin refers commonly to the materialistic corruption of primal instincts. For example, before mass production, the availability of fat and meat was rare, and therefore, it derived a satisfying taste. Nowadays, due to mass production, we consume large amounts of sugars and fats, simply for the taste, because our taste buds are wired to enjoy it.

The same can be said with a variety of behaviour, for example, reproduction and the use of contraception, material security and a lack of survival instinct, and also a lack of natural empathy and nurture due to a lack of perceived danger or threat.

To be free from sin, thus, is to refrain from seeking gratification, remaining down to Earth.

The punishment for sin is self evident as we throw our bodies and emotions out of natural balance.

I agree with you in the fact that man creates his own punishment for "sinning", but I have to disagree with your opinion of sinning. I would submit that, judging someone for seeking gratification as good or bad would ultimately be another form of dualism. It's simply an opinion.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ancientthunder

Speaking of balance, the ancient Gnostics talk about the shift from natural balance as being caused by internal emotional conflict, resulting in judgement. This judgement created the duality of good and evil.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ancientthunder

In the Zen art of archery, the archer does not actually "know" when he releases his finger from the string, in that sense, when one acts from the centre of "unknowing" or in other words, un-expecting, thier actions become "sinless" as they do not perceive a reward/punishment for their actions, yet perform their actions efficiently and naturally.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

There is a kind of internal linkage, some seem to be connected, and others seem to have lost thier connection to it. When it is at its strongest, animals and even plants develop an emotional character.

There seems to be a component, the "I am" component that seems to take control, overriding the more natural emotional responses to make way for the more complicated verbal/mental responses.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Let he or she whom has not sinned throw the first stone.Dont miss though as that is sinnfull .....................
edit on 3-12-2011 by ecossiepossie because: spelling mistake

new topics

<<   2 >>

join