It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Discover Huge Martian Water Depot—Could Be Used By Human Explorers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Scientists Discover Huge Martian Water Depot—Could Be Used By Human Explorers

gizmodo.com

The European Space Agency' Mars Express spacecraft has discovered "large volumes of water ice" hiding only 65 feet underground the red planet's surface, in the Phlegra Montes mountain range. It could be used by future human explorers.

ESA claims that the images show lobate debris aprons that have been moved down the mountain slopes over time, just like the debris covering glaciers on Earth. According to the ESA, their finding is backed up by NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter radar data, which "shows that lobate debris aprons are indeed strongly associated with the presence of water, perhaps only 20 meters underground."
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2-12-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

The article goes on to say :

The Phlegra Montes is a smooth system of "gently curving" mountain and ridges. Planetary geologists believe that it was formed by tectonic forcers, not volcanic activity. Some of the shaping of those ridges were created by the compression of snow deposited in ancient craters. ESa believes that "over time, the snow compacted to form glaciers which then sculpted the crater floors."

This is really great news it finally put to rest all the long speculation of the water on mars theory. We have known about small amounts of water for a time but according to ESA, everything points out at the presence of large underground glaciers in this mountain range.

Where there is water there could be evidence of life or at the very least it could help support a trip to Mars in the future

gizmodo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2-12-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Nice Find, Now all we need to do is get some people up there.

Whos down for a road trip to mars!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
All of the planets close to us all have water and people,animals and plants.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by brindle
All of the planets close to us all have water and people,animals and plants.

and McDonalds.

I wonder how much the first bottle brought back will sell for?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Hell, even 90 percent of saturns 64 moons have alien people living there.Ganymede has even sent us radio signals .

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Not exactly new but well worth talking about.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's pretty well established that Mars had large seas billions of years ago. The water had to go somewhere. Some lost to space, some frozen underground.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
I wonder how much the first bottle brought back will sell for?

Oh you mean that sample scooped up from Mars containing all those unknown microbes that will thrive on Earth and wipe us out?

Priceless

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
What they're not saying is they've used photoshop on their images and on marsanomolyresearch.com, he shows that when you take their filters off, its real lakes, and real water.

Like here.

marsanomalyresearch.com...

Moon anyone?

marsanomalyresearch.com...

They're complete liars about everything you can ever imagine.

Savage Garden - To The Moon And Back (Custom Video)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
The European Space Agency' Mars Express spacecraft has discovered "large volumes of water ice"

Kewl Too bad NASA has so much trouble finding water

ESA did this already

Photo in the News: Ice Lake Found on Mars
August 2, 2005

August 2, 2005—Life on Mars? Who knows? Ice on Mars? Most definitely—and now we've got more cold, hard evidence.

On Thursday the European Space Agency released a rare photo of a Martian ice lake in the far northern reaches of the planet. Capping a swirl of dunes at the bottom of a 23-mile-wide (35-kilometer-wide) crater, the frozen lake is thought to exist year-round. The modest temperature and pressure changes in this latitude would not be enough to allow the ice to melt or evaporate.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

MOC narrow-angle image R07-01100

We did a little 'color correction' on this one

Here is the original ;

Image Source: Malin Space Systems M0901354

Glacier at Base of Olympus Mons Volcano on Mars

A glacier at the base of the towering Olympus Mons volcano on Mars (left) compared to an Antarctic glacier. Deposits in the left image are darkened for emphasis. Credit: Nature/ESA/ David Marchant - SOURCE: Space.com

Pack Ice Spotted Near the Mars Equator

Plates of apparent fractured pack ice spotted near the Mars equator (left) compared to ice in the Weddell Sea, Antarctica. Credit: Nature - SOURCE: Space.com

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Taking a picture of water on the surface is easy and water had been known to exist on Mars since long before Mars Express flew.

Too bad ESA had so much trouble finding water ice underground.
2008:

Giant glaciers buried under the surface of Mars at much lower latitudes than any previously known ice are a potential source of drinking water for future astronauts.

The discovery, made using ground-penetrating radar on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, offers new possibilities in the search for life on the red planet.

www.wired.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Whats the bet the Bush family buy up the land.

MBF

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I've found on Google Mars places that looked like old riverbeds and in a couple, what looked like old craters that had washed through by a river. I had the coordinates wrote down at one time, but I think I threw them away.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Well, I'm now beginning to think someone sabotaged Grunt. The race of Mars-grab is on!

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Step by step... drop by drop... martian water comes on light...

Liquid (water?) flows on Mars Now!
S&F.

edit on 3-12-2011 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
Nice Find, Now all we need to do is get some people up there.

Whos down for a road trip to mars!

Who said there are no humans there yet? I'm sure the TR-3Bs can reach Mars in no time. The TR-3Bs have been around since the 80's. What more their more advanced crafts.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Wouldn't be in need because there are comfortable hotels with running hot and cold water on Mars. You will undestand after you watched this..

If any of what Richard Nolan is true we are indeed used as stupid cash cows and idiots...
edit on 3/12/2011 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Wow! What stunningly beautiful images. Thanks to all who contributed to this one. It looks almost good enough to go live there

Now I must confess that when I read the title I had a completely different idea. I expected to see artificial water tanks used by Martians. Ah well, I'm still waking up here.

reply to post by Phage

Serious question for Phage. You mentioned that Mars lost some of its water to space. Is this due to having a thinner or no atmosphere, or less gravity than Earth? Perhaps another question is better. Does Earth lose moisture to space at all? Or is it just our (searches brain for the word) thicker/heavier/denser atmosphere that keeps our water firmly on the planet? TIA
edit on 3/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Edited to make a reply to Phage

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

You're going to get the long version.

The reason that liquid water cannot exist for long on the surface of Mars is that the atmosphere is too thin. Liquid water would quickly "boil" away into water vapor. For the same reason, water ice can only exist on the surface under very cold conditions. If it is too warm (which is not very warm at all) the ice will sublimate directly to vapor without passing through the liquid state.

Now, it's clear that liquid water once flowed on Mars so it's clear that Mars once had enough of an atmosphere to keep water liquid. What happened? Mars lost its magnetic field (exactly why is not known) billions of years ago. When it lost its magnetic field its atmosphere became exposed to the solar wind which, over millions of years, dragged the atmosphere (including the water vapor it contained) into space.

A recent discovery indicates that another process may be continuing to rob Mars of any water which has the audacity to remain exposed to the atmosphere. It has been found that water vapor is carried higher into the atmosphere of Mars than previously thought. This exposes the water molecules to more solar radiation which can split the water into hydrogen and oxygen. The result, even less water available for Mars' version of a hydrologic cycle.

Earth, having a healthy magnetosphere, holds onto its atmosphere (and water) quite well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join