It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Richmond protesters back Tea Party against city

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reuters.com

(Reuters) - Despite political differences with the conservative Tea Party movement, anti-Wall Street protesters in Richmond, Virginia, have come out in support of the local Tea Party group against "unfair" treatment from the city.

This thread talked about a Tea Party chapter in Virginia that was complaining the Mayor was giving preferential treatment to OccupyRichmond. Today OccupyRichmond made a statement that they agree the Tea Party chapter was treated unfairly.

"The Tea Party and Occupy movements disagree on many, many issues," Occupy Richmond's Thursday statement said. "This should not stop all Americans from proudly standing together against government abuses."

The statement ultimately called on the city to drop the Tea Party audit and refund any money the group has paid to secure "free speech and assembly privileges."

The 1st Amendment does not have a dollar amount attatched to it.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Wow.... Now I must admit that shows real class on the part of Richmond OWS people. The Tea Party uses them as an example of why the city is being wrong....basically calling for the city to stick it to OWS as hard as it was to them...and instead of coming back as little whirlwinds of anger with protest signs against TTP, they come back to get the sanctions put against TTP in the first place reversed or removed.

Yup... Definitely a classy move. They have my nod of respect on handling that one. I wonder if TTP will be classy enough to give a nod of respect themselves?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
dirty hippies Indeed!

"This should not stop all Americans from proudly standing together against government abuses."

that's what this is all about the PEOPLE of America coming together.

its great to read stories like these although sad it has come to this.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
dirty hippies Indeed!

"This should not stop all Americans from proudly standing together against government abuses."

that's what this is all about the PEOPLE of America coming together.

its great to read stories like these although sad it has come to this.

edit on 12/2/2011 by -W1LL because: worth saying twice i guess.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Oh yea. See OWS leadership knows that many TP are potential supporters or simply have some shared ideas. They would like nothing more than a merger of sorts and see that as a real possibility.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
The Occupy movement is not caught up in silly little nonsense titles or party affiliation. It is a movement with the objective of STOPPING THE BS that is RUINING the lives of WE THE PEOPLE of the world.

WE THE PEOPLE who are SICK AND TIRED of being trampled upon and screwed over constantly. We want our lives BACK. We want our children and grandchildren to have a shot at a decent and prosperous life. As it is right now, our children and grandchildren are SCREWED BADLY!!!!

Things MUST change, NOW!!!!!!

edit on 2-12-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

They did, from the linked article.

Richmond Tea Party spokeswoman Colleen Owens said on Friday that the group "never really had any kind of beef with the Occupy people."

"I'm glad the Occupy group agrees with us," she said. "We just think it's very coincidental that they (the city) would issue audits, and we also believe that we filed everything that was required of us and never owed any taxes."

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74

They did, from the linked article.

"I'm glad the Occupy group agrees with us," she said. "We just think it's very coincidental that they (the city) would issue audits, and we also believe that we filed everything that was required of us and never owed any taxes."

I was trying to ignore that part actually... lol... Given how OWS - Richmond handled things, and if I were still in Occupy myself, I would have taken that as a little stuck up for a response... Maybe it's just me. Just the position of 'OWS agrees with them'.....not strictly a mutual thing. Oh well...

As far as the other comments about the right and left coming together... Indeed, there are definitely some of us on the right who would love to see nothing more as well. This is something I'm looking at as a promising hand of peace from OWS - Richmond if anyone wants to grab the idea and help it spread. Everything starts small, right?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

I kind of felt that way initially too but then realized it was an appropriate way to express it. It was the Tea Party chapter that brought the issue to the Mayor, their action. Anyone supporting would be agreeing with them.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Hmmm.... Yeah, I can see what you're saying when putting it that way. Well, then lets hope it can be the first of more examples to come. If the center-center/right and the center-center/left could work together then Washington really would have a serious reason to worry. No question there. Numbers alone would almost make change inevitable rather than hopeful.

edit on 2-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Now that is class folks.

Richmond Occupy

If we don't protect each other's rights, even as we disagree, we will all loose them.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors
The Occupy movement is not caught up in silly little nonsense titles or party affiliation. It is a movement with the objective of STOPPING THE BS that is RUINING the lives of WE THE PEOPLE of the world.

WE THE PEOPLE who are SICK AND TIRED of being trampled upon and screwed over constantly. We want our lives BACK. We want our children and grandchildren to have a shot at a decent and prosperous life. As it is right now, our children and grandchildren are SCREWED BADLY!!!!

Things MUST change, NOW!!!!!!

edit on 2-12-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

Oh the driven snow....not caught up in silly....hay was that a direct action for dummies handbook that just fell out of your back pocket? Seriously were was the OWS when the TP was in full swing? At home tossing mulk duds at the tube and spouting off thier silly little party one liners.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by Kali74

Now that is class folks.

Richmond Occupy

If we don't protect each other's rights, even as we disagree, we will all loose them.

Wow is that you Glenn Beck?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

The hell does Glenn Beck have to do with anything?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
It was a classy move for Occupy Richmond to back up the Tea Party, seeing as how they probably don't see eye to eye on everything.

It was also a classy move for projectvxn to acknowledge that.
edit on 2-12-2011 by jlv70 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join