It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medical Researchers Discover Hidden Side of Prion Diseases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Medical Researchers Discover Hidden Side of Prion Diseases

www.eurekalert.org

.…before an animal shows physical signs of having a prion infection, a particular prion protein in the brain was being eradicated. This member of the prion family is known as shadoo protein.

"….the shadoo protein is simultaneously disappearing," ….

"….there is a process within the disease …..that is happening before the infected animals are getting sick. It's telling us that the brain cells are more active in defending themselves than what we thought they were.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
If prion diseases are dynamic, meaning not necessarily unstoppable, "there could be a cellular process trying to destroy the infectious prions as they appear. And if we could help that process a little bit more, that might be an avenue to attenuate the disease."

So of course, researchers hope this discovery will lead to treatments that help the brain's natural healing processes. ...Good idea.

But they better hurry - following the World Economic Forum report to the NCD Pandemic summit, several nations are starting to "put down" people with so-called incurable dementias.

....I'm a bit confused about this bit - lead author and researcher David Westaway, is a researcher in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry at the University of Alberta.

I know prions tend to congregate in tonsils, but wasn't aware of any link to dentistry. Anyone have any more info on this bit?

www.eurekalert.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Canadian-made research aims at developing treatment to stop the progression of Alzheimer's disease

Press Release: Cangene Corporation – Thu, 10 Nov, 2011 8:00 AM EST

ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/Canadian-made-research-aims-cnw-2447900804.html

(...)

Cangene Corporation has signed a collaborative research agreement with the University of British Columbia (UBC) under which they will develop the work of Dr. Neil Cashman , Scientific Director of PrioNet Canada , Canada Research Chair in Neurodegeneration and Protein Misfolding at UBC, and a scientist at the Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute, aimed at developing immune-based therapies for Alzheimer's disease.

Dr. Cashman 's work, supported by PrioNet (a Network of Centres of Excellence for research on prion disease and related neurodegenerative disorders), focuses on identifying and validating targets for treating various neurological diseases. Cangene became interested in the program following a recent discovery in which Dr. Cashman , along with other PrioNet researchers, was able to specifically target a unique shape of amyloid beta "oligomers"—small aggregates that Dr. Cashman calls the "bad guys" due to their key role in the progression of Alzheimer's—while sparing normal amyloid beta molecules.

"If we're only attacking the bad guys without harming the normal molecules, then we have a basis for a safe immunotherapy infusion," explains Dr. Cashman . This approach has already been tested in the laboratory on cultured nerve cells with successful results. "PrioNet's initial investment to support this research was integral to generating the scientific results needed to attract industry partners," he says. "Our partnership with Cangene will now help move this technology forward." Cangene has initiated work with UBC on the target identified by Dr. Cashman .

(...)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Have any prion-specific receptors been identified?

Curious.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

A fascinating post. Could you provide evidence for this staggering, claim? -

...several nations are starting to "put down" people with so-called incurable dementias

That's one of the most shocking 'passing remarks' I've ever come across. Please elaborate!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I read a report which claims that lack of copper in environment or food made prions bind some toxic metals, and those metals were the cause of prion disease, not directly prions as such.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Abstract
Transmissible spongiform encephalopathies are diseases of animals and humans that are also termed prion diseases. These diseases are linked together because a normal brain glycoprotein termed the prion protein is converted to a readily detectable protease-resistant isoform. There is now strong evidence to suggest that apart from this difference in resistance a major difference between the isoforms is that the normal prion protein binds copper and has an anti-oxidant function. Brains from Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease patients and brains from mice with experimental mouse scrapie have been shown to have changes in the levels of both copper and manganese. There is growing evidence that links prion diseases to disturbances of metal metabolism.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Here's one for starters.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I pray we find a viable and realistic solution to this soon.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

Originally posted by DangerDeath
I read a report which claims that lack of copper in environment or food made prions bind some toxic metals, and those metals were the cause of prion disease, not directly prions as such.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

....There is growing evidence that links prion diseases to disturbances of metal metabolism.

There is NO doubt that a variety of environmental "perturbations" cause proteins to misfold - including exposure to metals - many misfolded proteins can become infectious, not just the prion protein

environmental insults, either physical (heat, pressure, radiation) or chemical (heavy metals, arsenate, toxins), also cause proteins to misfold into toxic shapes.
….

….conditions that are likely to put stress on proteins and cause them to misfold - such as preexisting misfolded proteins, oxidation, or heat

edit on 2/12/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
thank you for the info. my mom died from alzheimers and cancer. she was so awesome. i miss her something fierce. some music for you, sofi.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I thank you greatly Soficrow for your vigilance and hard work in bringing us news and updates in regards to Prions, who I believe will be the equivalent of bacteria and viral diseases once we conquer those.

Leads me to think that once we are on the verge of conquering one form of plague another will sprout up in its place to keep humans in check, after prions can we look forward to some celestial infestation or nanotechnology run wild.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom, undo. For what it's worth, time does heal all wounds - but I suspect we're supposed to keep missing those we loved. It's one way we keep love alive in the world.

Thanks for the compliments and the music. Nice.

top topics

join