It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Huntsman will skip presidential debate moderated by Donald Trump (What????)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

The conservative news magazine Newsmax announced Friday that it would co-sponsor a Republican presidential debate moderated by media personality and real estate tycoon Donald Trump on Dec. 27th in Des Moines, Ia., but they may have trouble convincing candidates to show up. Former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman is the first to send his regrets. "We look forward to watching Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich suck up to Trump with a big bowl of popcorn," Huntsman spokesman Tim Miller told Yahoo News.

news.yahoo.com...

First of all....Trump....REALLY?????????

Second, looks like the only sane candidate in the entire GOP field is going to skip it. IMO...he's the only who could possibly beat Obama in an election (he's at the bottom of the polls however)....but right now the rest of the candidates will continue the freak sideshow as they try to "out-extreme" one another.
edit on 2-12-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
"We look forward to watching Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich suck up to Trump with a big bowl of popcorn,"

Good line Huntsman! That earns 1 point of respect for him from yours truly.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

"We look forward to watching Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich suck up to Trump with a big bowl of popcorn," Good line Huntsman! That earns 1 point of respect for him from yours truly.

Yeah, i thought that was funny as well.
This is reality TV at it's finest eh??

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Though I am baffled by the need to kiss Trump’s ring, I’m even more baffled that Huntsman is still in the race! No offense but he’s never broken single digits in the polls! Maybe it was the ridiculous Harley ride at his announcement (trying to be the “average Joe” American?? Come on!!).

By the way, Trump has now sat down with every GOP candidate. When did Trump become the gate keeper for the Republican nomination?? Did I miss something?? Trump is no conservative so Huntsman would have been just fine.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Though I am baffled by the need to kiss Trump’s ring, I’m even more baffled that Huntsman is still in the race! No offense but he’s never broken single digits in the polls! Maybe it was the ridiculous Harley ride at his announcement (trying to be the “average Joe” American?? Come on!!).

Well, he probably figures he'll get his turn to lead the polls...seems to change every couple weeks. He seems the most Presidential and intelligent to me compared to the rest. This may actually work in his favor....who knows.

After reading the yahoo comments, seems even conservatives think this entire thing is ridiculous...lol

BTW...they just annouced Sarah Palin and Kim Kardashian will be moderating the next GOP debate after this one.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Well, he probably figures he'll get his turn to lead the polls...seems to change every couple weeks. He seems the most Presidential and intelligent to me compared to the rest. This may actually work in his favor....who knows.

Something tells me he and Santorum have peaked already. I'm a huge Santorum fan, so I feel your pain. 

After reading the yahoo comments, seems even conservatives think this entire thing is ridiculous...lol

No, it's absolutely ridiculous. Who does this guy think he is. I think the line between reality and fantasy for Trump is indistinguishable. It's so blurred it actually affects the perception of others!

BTW...they just annouced Sarah Palin and Kim Kardashian will be moderating the next GOP debate after this one.

As long as Janet Jackson doesn't perform during intermission we'll be ok.
I heard she's booked that weekend for a Dem fundraiser.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

By the way, Trump has now sat down with every GOP candidate. When did Trump become the gate keeper for the Republican nomination?? Did I miss something?? Trump is no conservative so Huntsman would have been just fine.

I am not surprised that Huntsman is still in this race even with his low polling numbers. I am not sure how old you are, but I have seen this before. Huntsman's goal right now is not to win, it is to gain exposure and get his name out there for a future run. I would expect Huntsman to drop out by Mid February at the absolute latest.

As far as this debate, what makes Trump any more qualified to moderate a debate than I am?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
I'm a huge Santorum fan...

Wow, TMI.

In all honesty, I might vote for Huntsman over Obama. Maybe.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

Vote for Huntsman? Wow, TMI.

I don’t think it’s a surprise that I’m a conservative. My posts and signature reflect my position but I guess you didn’t notice.

So you’re a RINO? Hey, that’s your right and I don’t begrudge you the right to be a centrist. The simple fact that you said you “might vote for Huntsman over Obama” is enough proof of that, and also affirmation for me not to consider him.

I’d rather have Huntsman than Obama any day. Huntsman would be the best choice if those are your options.

Just saying!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Nothing makes Trump more qualified than you!
That’s the conundrum!

As far as Huntsman building points for a future run…ya, maybe! I don’t think that was Romney’s intent but he’s back. I don’t think that was Hillary’s intent and she’s not running. Who knows??

It’s been done before and you may be right.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Having trump moderate is very unethical, for multiple reasons:

1 - he was running himself at one point
2 - he said that ron paul will not win at one instance, an obvious bias before the debate will even start

I could go on and on, but this is a big no no.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
gretawire.foxnewsinsider.com...

looks like paul doesnt like it much either.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
This Trump debate will be as big a farce as that dog and pony show between Newt Gingrich and Herman Cain. At least the only 2 sane GOP candidates (Huntsman and Paul) can see through this charade.

Trump may have money but he's still a buffoon.

ETA: Paul's open letter about Trump;

“The selection of a reality television personality to host a presidential debate that voters nationwide will be watching is beneath the office of the Presidency and flies in the face of that office’s history and dignity. Mr. Trump’s participation as moderator will distract from questions and answers concerning important issues such as the national economy, crushing federal government debt, the role of the federal government, foreign policy, and the like. To be sure, Mr. Trump’s participation will contribute to an unwanted circus-like atmosphere.

“Mr. Trump’s selection is also wildly inappropriate because of his record of toying with the serious decision of whether to compete for our nation’s highest office, a decision he appeared to make frivolously. The short-lived elevation of Mr. Trump’s stature as a candidate put him on the radar of many organizations and we recall that last spring he was invited to keynote the Republican Party of Iowa’s annual Lincoln Day Dinner, yet at the last minute he left RPI holding the bag by canceling. In turn, RPI canceled its biggest fundraising gala of the year and suffered embarrassment and in addition RPI was required to engage in refunding measures. Our candidate will not even consider participating in the late-December debate until Mr. Trump publicly apologizes to Iowa party leaders and rectifies in full the situation.

Therefore our candidate Ron Paul, the champion of the Constitution, has advised he will not attend.”

edit on 3-12-2011 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I am certainly not surprised that Paul pulled out as well. The debate will still happen though as long as Romney and Newt appear.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
TRENDING: Paul campaign calls Trump debate ‘wildly inappropriate’

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

OF course it is.

Donald Trump's reaction:

"As I said in the past and will reiterate again, Ron Paul has a zero chance of winning either the nomination or the Presidency," Trump said in a statement to CNN. "My poll numbers were substantially higher than any of his poll numbers, at any time, and when I decided not to run, due to the equal time provisions concerning my hit show The Apprentice, I was leading the Republican field."

Trump announced in May he would not seek the nomination. In his statement, Trump said he was pleased to hear that Paul and Huntsman would be skipping the debate. "Few people take Ron Paul seriously and many of his views and presentation make him a clown-like candidate," Trump said. "I am glad he and Jon Huntsman, who has inconsequential poll numbers or a chance of winning, will not be attending the debate and wasting the time of the viewers who are trying very hard to make a very important decision."

edit on 3-12-2011 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Argh, I went to go read the whole article but had to come back here and respond. This is silly. Trump is the most arrogant ever. Considering right now Ron Paul with 18% has slid ahead of Romney at 16% in the Iowa Caucus Poll to second place. Of course Gingrich has slithered his way into the lead for the time being.

Trump said. "I am glad he and Jon Huntsman, who has inconsequential poll numbers or a chance of winning..."

Trump is point blank wrong.

Paul and Huntsman are men of Integrity who will place this value before facetime and that speaks volumes.

Edit to add... We have learned from Obama that debate presentation does not equate to good leadership and making the right decisions, simple things like keeping promises made during the campaign that Obama has let us down on. Lets see what other candidates have the integrity to turn down Trump's offer of appearing on his reality show styled debate... Will stay tuned.
edit on 3-12-2011 by Sek82 because: added moar

new topics

top topics

join