It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Kepler alien planet conference announcement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

NASA will reveal new discoveries made by its planet-hunting Kepler space telescope on Monday (Dec. 5), according to a recent agency announcement.

NASA will hold a press conference at 11 a.m. EST (1600 GMT) Monday at NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif. Researchers will discuss new developments since Kepler's last major announcement, which occurred nearly a year ago and included a treasure trove of 1,235 newfound alien planet candidates.

"The briefing will provide an update on the statistical findings since Kepler's Feb. 1, 2011, science data release and introduce a new confirmed planetary discovery," NASA officials said in the advisory Thursday (Dec. 1).

Briefing participants include:

— Pete Worden, director of Ames Research Center
— Natalie Batalha, Kepler deputy science team lead at Ames
— Bill Borucki, Kepler principal investigator at Ames
— Jill Tarter, director of the Center for SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) Research, SETI Institute, Mountain View, Calif.

The press conference also kicks off the inaugural Kepler Science Conference, which will discuss past Kepler finds in detail. The conference will run from Dec. 5 to Dec. 9 at Ames and will feature more than 110 scientific presentations, officials said.

NASA Kepler alien planet conference announcement

How often does SETI participate in NASA press conferences? (Not meant to bait or speculate on what will be announced, I'm honestly curious here.)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
And the "finally disclosure" people will arrive in 3, 2, 1...

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
possible , maybe , perhaps , more research needed gimme more money

"earth like planet"

"building blocks of life"

"earths twin"

"posibility of life"

SETI is there because funding is running low and they need some spotlight for the check writers to remember them.

nasa farts its a press confernce.

We keep looking for intelligent life out there , but here at earth we should start finding it also

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

I hope so and I hope they say they are going to get the 100 year mission back on track, heck I would go if they could sort out freezing me the 100 years, the way it's all going and the doom and gloom we need to get to other planets fast!!!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Yes it is probalby something boring like they need more funding so are back in the spot light... But we can hope it is something far more interesting

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I love these announcements

The fact they are detecting these planets in habitable zones

sparks the imagination for sure.

With the rate of technology and scientific advancement ever increasing

I think 300 years would not be to far off the mark for us to get there.

Then we can finally get some payback on those Aliens

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
SETI participated in the last one if I am not mistaken...correct me if I am wrong.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

I was going to post that also but looked back at the schedule and must have been mistaken. Though I do recall the very same speculation when the speakers were announced.

Though I believe they should always have Amy up there telling the callers, 'Its not coming to get you'.
edit on 2-12-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
If they do announce somekind of alien life discovery such as CFCs or somekind of alien based atmosphere it does not change the fact that they are still telling lies to us regarding alien life on this planet. Only when they admit alien life here and give us all thier technology will I be partly happy. I believe we have been lied to about the most important discoveries on this planet throughout recent history.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ValentineWiggin
SETI participated in the last one if I am not mistaken...correct me if I am wrong.

They did have someone at that conference, Laurance Doyle, an astrophysicist and principal investigator. That conference was a little easier to predict though, especially given that a representative from Industrial Light & Magic was also a briefing participant.

NASA's Kepler Mission Discovers World Orbiting Two Stars

This one strikes me as a little more exciting, given that the participants are the director of Ames Research Center, the Kepler deputy science team lead at Ames, the Kepler principal investigator at Ames and the director of the Center for SETI Research.

I'm curious to know if there's a precedence for the director of SETI participating, also whether SETI has participated in more NASA conferences then just these two.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

nasa farts its a press confernce.

Yes! Methane means LIFE!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Twin Earth Confirmed

www.bbc.co.uk...

Astronomers have confirmed the existence of an Earth-like planet in the "habitable zone" around a star not unlike our own. The planet, Kepler 22-b, lies about 600 light-years away and is about 2.4 times the size of Earth, and has a temperature of about 22C. It is the closest confirmed planet yet to one like ours - an "Earth 2.0".

Kepler 22-b lies at a distance from its sun about 15% less than the distance from the Earth to the Sun, and its year takes about 290 days. However, its sun puts out about 25% less light, keeping the planet at its balmy temperature that would support the existence of liquid water. The Kepler team had to wait for three passes of the planet before upping its status from "candidate" to "confirmed". "Fortune smiled upon us with the detection of this planet," said William Borucki, Kepler principal investigator at Nasa's Ames Research Center.

WOW. Great news. 600 Light Years though is a bit of an issue. Maybe someday......

new topics

top topics

join