It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bags,Bags and more Bags...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I just went through some of my things...
I have several bags set up for several different things...
Does anyone else here have several bags packed and ready to go...and can be gone in like less than 2 minutes?

To give you an Idea of what I am talking about, I have a bag for tactically getting out..another for semi-tactical departure, and yet another for I am going back packing for an extended period of time. These are not the only bags I have ...but they are the go to bags if I need to leave...

I went through them today and I reorganized them for the seasons...
The same basic equipment is in all of them, but each bag is bigger for the longer time I am thinking I will be gone/going...and for what I would be doing.

My first bag is all tactical gear, with everything for a few days out and about(of course with more food and water, I would be fine for months.

The second bag is tactical also just a lot larger with more items for comfort in it.

The Third bag is huge, alum. frame 5,300 cu in...I have lived out of it for up to 3 weeks and all I really needed was a place to aquire food and water....I used what I had in the bag for that and it was very interesting to see what all you can do, practice if your not always getting wood, food or water or building a shelter.

The basic things I have in them all is...
(One or more of any of the following per bag)
Fire starters.....matches, lighters, mag fire starter, blast master, lucifer matches

Water container...canteens, 2 qt canteens, bladders, bottles, solar bags, boating bags, 5 gal. collapsable camping water bag.

Knives, hatchets, and stones for sharpening...multi tools(gerber and leatherman name brand)

550 cord, D rings, small cleaning kit for tools and weapons.

sewing kit, snacks(power bars and hard candy)

That is standard in all the bags...now I do have several other things in the bags but I believe those are just a must have for me in each...keep in mind that I don't have 5 water containers in each, but I do have 1 or more of each group in each bag.

Several other things I have available to use are
ETOOLS...thats a folding shovel ..incase someone didn't know.
Playing cards
Candles
Sleeping bag
Tarp
Tent
Stoves for cooking and heat...several that use duel fuel
Mess kit with several added items...like soap, hand sanitizer
Misquetoe head net
Towel, hand towel, and wash cloth
Lanterns...duel fuel
Hurricane lamps...oil
Saws
Clothes for all seasons
Shoes for all seasons
Saining net...for catching bait or food from water...even for catching birds too.
Gortex top and bottoms
Trash bags...various sizes

I am not getting into the food, because mre's, freeze dried, canned...food is food...its what you want and eat.
Weapons are another thing I am not saying, its nobodies business but mine on what I do or don't have and many say to have this or that..so I am leaving them out.

I know that I am not the only one here that has several bags....I also left out several things...My question is this...who here has things set up like this, for a rapid exit..if needed?...is this normal?

edit on 2-12-2011 by saltdog because: spelling

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
You are a "Prepper". It is normal in these "normal" days.

Just watch out, cause FEMA says to have these bags ready, but DHS says you are a terrorist if you have these bags ready.

IMO, everyone needs a BOB (bug out bag). I put a basic list up here. Of course there is always room for other stuff.

Be sure to pack away some spices in your BOB. I like Mrs Dash, it is a blend of spices, and no salt, so make sure you pack away some sea salt.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Skada

I hear you...I left out several things with cooking/camping items...salt is very useful....it cleans, seasons, stores, disinfects ...its a staple for any outdoorsman.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skada
You are a "Prepper". It is normal in these "normal" days.

Just watch out, cause FEMA says to have these bags ready, but DHS says you are a terrorist if you have these bags ready.

IMO, everyone needs a BOB (bug out bag). I put a basic list up here. Of course there is always room for other stuff.

Be sure to pack away some spices in your BOB. I like Mrs Dash, it is a blend of spices, and no salt, so make sure you pack away some sea salt.

Its funny that the military lives out of bags for deployment too, and yet DHS says no...LMAO

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
As well as spices in general. If I have to eat rat, I want it to at least taste close to squirrel or chicken. Also, pack TP in that bag, if you don't have to reach for that leaf then there will be less chance of discomfort.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Skada

Yep...I hear you there!!! Poison ivy/oak doesn't care where it goes...lol

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I have only one bag, in that bag are two nuts, I call the bag my "nut sac".
I will use my bare hands to obtain anything I need, I will use those same hands to rummage through other peoples bug out bags and take whatever I want.
A word of warning, I LOVE skittles and will stop at nothing to obtain them.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I have four seperate bags. The first is a basic pack that can be used to survive for about one week. The second and third bags are actually a two part bag that can be seperated in case weight becomes a concern. These bags are set up for long term. The fourth bag is a bag of "extras". These are things that would be valuable if it were a serious SHTF situation and can be used for trading purposes.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

You could find yourself getting hurt if you're caught going through
other peoples bobs.I smack my grandkids' hands for getting into
my purse.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
If you have to leave your homestead, do you plan on carrying all 3 bags with you? Keeping weight down must be a top priority.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I have non-bob bags for different outdoor activities. I have a bag for rifle hunting, a bag for birding, a bag for bass fishing and a kit for fly fishing.

Likewise a basic BOB bag, plus boxes of food that is a bit bulkier. It adds weight, and I'd ditch them or barter them or use them for a bribe or charity in a pinch. I just hate the thought of bugging out in my vehicle and not having every space and crevice crammed with needful things.

Depending on my destination, I could add the rifle kit plus a fishing kit, with room for jerrycans, water cans, and extra food. If you think about it, hunting and fishing gear IS survival gear.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

With all due respect mamabeth your domestic troubles are none of my concern. I recommend you put a badger or wolverine in your purse so the next time will be the LAST time they do it.
As far as getting hurt I only go after the incredibly old, tiny people (children and midgets) and the blind. The latter won't even notice something is missing.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by METACOMET
If you have to leave your homestead, do you plan on carrying all 3 bags with you? Keeping weight down must be a top priority.

The situation would depend on what bag I take, if I have time, all of them would be going, I would have all I need if I was able to have everything, but if I am not at home and at work or on the road, I would have the bag(s) that I would have with me...

I have a camping bag, a fishing bag, a hunting bag, a range bag...you get the piont...so yeah I would have all I need if I was in my truck, because I go nowhere without enough stuff to last me a foot trip to or from where I am going..

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by tovenar
I have non-bob bags for different outdoor activities. I have a bag for rifle hunting, a bag for birding, a bag for bass fishing and a kit for fly fishing.

Likewise a basic BOB bag, plus boxes of food that is a bit bulkier. It adds weight, and I'd ditch them or barter them or use them for a bribe or charity in a pinch. I just hate the thought of bugging out in my vehicle and not having every space and crevice crammed with needful things.

Depending on my destination, I could add the rifle kit plus a fishing kit, with room for jerrycans, water cans, and extra food. If you think about it, hunting and fishing gear IS survival gear.

Same here...I agree, I have them too....if I m at home and deside to go, I would have plenty of what I want and need...the basics are the same, the cammo pattern might be different...but the gear is good quality stuff that has been tested tried and approved by me....

In an ideal situation for bugging out, I would have everything loaded and be where I need to be, before it happens.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Going through my deer-hunting bags before I leave on a trip, and was thinking about this thread and what I'd said before.

Some of the things I keep in my bag wouldn't have much relevance outside of deer hunting (odor-suppressors, doe pherimone, etc) But a lot of it would. For instance I carry a back-up compass in my rucksack. Sure, my smartphone has a compass app; but when I am lost, it's always in heavy brush, not out on an open ridge with good southern exposure. it's also in snow or fog---the worst times to try and get a satelite or phone signal.

Other examples include dressing knives, cigarette lighter, para-chord , bone saw and nitrile gloves. I have a blaze orange vest I put on when dragging a deer carcass; most accidental shootings happen when someone is moving a deer. But the vest would also be useful in a rescue situation, if I were lost in a blizzard.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I'd have thought you'd want to pack some gas masks and those tablets that clean water and protect you from radiation?

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
I'd have thought you'd want to pack some gas masks and those tablets that clean water and protect you from radiation?

I don't know whether you were directing this at me....

I don't really expect to need gas masks if I'm bugging out. I keep them in the safe room supplies. I guess I've always figured that no one will use gas on me if I'm fleeing; and the best way to avoid gas is to ....flee!

I prefer bleach over tablets, but I carry both in my bob.

Likewise with Potassium Iodide, which protects against several specific types of radioactive contamination. I don't carry it for myself, since I'm over 40, and its use is contra-indicated. The time vector of thyroid cancer is more than 30 years, which means that males over 40 will probably die of other causes even if they also are exposed to significant iodine, cobalt or a couple of other soviet-era bomb components.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Right now I have a two-bag solution.

First bag is a shoulder rig by Maxpedition that is tailored to first aid, navigation, and personal protection. I carry this bag with me everywhere including to work, and if interested you can view more about it here.

Second bag is what I like to call my Extended Vacation Bag, an internal-frame pack with more long-term survival in mind. It has things like cord, a tree saw, and an E-tool for shelter building in addition to the usual first aid, food, water purification, etc.

To off-set both of these my vehicles have large plastic trunks with MREs and other larger items that are too big or heavy to put in either bag such as an all-purpose custom tool kit, tire changing supplies, etc.

Eventually I'm going to replace the shoulder bag with a backpack to allow for more gear while making it a bit easier to carry, at that point the bag will probably become a purely first-aid setup in the event of car accidents, etc.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
If your planning on staying put where you have your stuff, you got nothing to worry about if you have what you need.
The bags honestly are for getting to or from one area to another....think of this, if your out camping or hunting you would have 2 bags if you grew up out in the country like me, I have a bag in the truck for the truck..ie break downs, flat tires, busted hoses, oil ...in winter I put a shovel and cold weather gear in it too...incase I have to walk and its freezing outside.
The hunting or camping bag, has what I need to enjoy the activity that I am going to go do...
As long as your where your supplies are, you should be good to go...thats why i always have enough supplies to get to and from anywhere I am going with me...thats food, water and proper clothing.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Why no salt?

new topics

top topics

join