It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

in re; military-hating acedemic folks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
news items like this www.unionleader.com... in which a college/university professor slam our military, seem to happen at least once a year.
it us unfortunate that persons in such a position of authority and influence are so execrably STUPID.
no, no one WANTS war (or armed conflict); it's been said the front-line soldier is the biggest pacifist in the world, as he has the most to lose.
it speaks poorly of the insular quality of such a world view as these teachers apparently hold.
peace requires unanimity. only one party is required to force conflict. history and human nature teach us that aggressors are always about. in the presence of aggression, one must resist or serve.
I for one am VERY GRATEFUL for those young men and women willing to leave their comfort zones and wear the uniform, knowing they risk making the ultimate sacrifice.
our university residents would do well to feel some grace and appreciation.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by works4dhs

Michael Avery is a stroke, always has been, always will be. I mean, for the love of God, he did 2 years of his undergrad at the University of Moscow in the late 60's, what does that tell you?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

Michael Avery is a stroke, always has been, always will be. I mean, for the love of God, he did 2 years of his undergrad at the University of Moscow in the late 60's, what does that tell you?

the U of Mosc profs appear to have done their job well
there was a conspircy theory a while back about a bunch of Manchuran candidates running around with no Soviet Union to trigger them (like the movie 'Telefon'). somebody suggested Bill Clinton was one!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Unfortunately the purpose of war has changed in the modern day era. It's more about wars for profit vs wars for defense or our homeland.

I don't necessarily feel that this view is shared only amongst "Academics". But by Veterans of wars as well.

Part of the reason as to why I feel this way is that my Grandfather and GreatGrandfather fought in both World Wars and warned me not to. My Great Grandfather earned all types of Medals even the French Croix de Guerre.
They were far from academics but when it was said and done they were being used and discarded after they'd served.

Read "War is a Racket" by USMC Major General Smedly Butler who pointed this out shortly after WWI when he had earned not one but two Congressional Medals of Honor.
And clearly understood what war is all about.

He clearly points out what war is all about now days and why those that benefit the most from them never ever fight in them.

But it's only the poor who's Sons and Daughters that do.

Peace

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

That he was cold quite often?

There are three levels here.
(1) The academic class believe that they don't need the ordinary soldier to protect their way of life.
(2) The ordinary soldier believes that the academic concept of patriotism embodies and is grateful for all they fight and die for.
(3) Both are wrong

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I do not like war.
War is an old trick to prevent inbreed, when we humans were all organised in small tribes.
Now it is different.
No civilian in the world asked for the USA to come and wage war.
I am OK with states, any individual state, being prepared to defend their own grounds and their own citizens.
All military personnel, outside the original states borders, should be considered as hired killers.
No one threatened the USA, 9/11 was a DIY job.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Well, considering the average soldier is in their late teens and has no other real options, especially nowadays.
It is hard to avoid military service.
I tried to warn my kids away from service, as you realize afterwards it is service to corporations and not your homeland.
Our soldiers come back, changed for life, but are proud as they claim "I did it for the guy next to me".
It is a mechanism that helps us cope with what happens, without telling ourselves, "we shouldn't be here in the first place".
I can understand going to a foreign land to fight for freedom or to combat a REAL threat.
But truth is we haven't done either, ever.
I don't hate the soldier, but the military get none of my love.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Military service is honorable only when the war is honorable, and wars are rarely honorable.

In my opinion, fighting in today's "war" is unconscionable.

The "war" isn't a "war" at all. It's a 10 year slaughter of primarily innocent people driven by bigots, corporatists, and mercenaries. Legally, it is considered a "conflict."

I'd rather die than fight in a war I don't believe in.

You'll find academics have a dim view of military service because they have a better understanding of the truth behind it. One only need to look at the current advertisements for branches of the military to understand that service has nothing to do with survival or protection. Remember "an Army of One?" "You'll find the confidence YOU NEED to take on the world?" Pardon me, but those are self-interested reasons for military service. There is nothing honorable about them.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Well, considering the average soldier is in their late teens and has no other real options, especially nowadays.
It is hard to avoid military service.
I tried to warn my kids away from service, as you realize afterwards it is service to corporations and not your homeland.
Our soldiers come back, changed for life, but are proud as they claim "I did it for the guy next to me".
It is a mechanism that helps us cope with what happens, without telling ourselves, "we shouldn't be here in the first place".
I can understand going to a foreign land to fight for freedom or to combat a REAL threat.
But truth is we haven't done either, ever.
I don't hate the soldier, but the military get none of my love.

In my opinion, the supposed "lack of real options" is no excuse. If you have no "real options" in the United States, your problem is not thousands of miles away amongst Islamic people that can barely feed themselves. (I use "your" generically here, of course.) Joining the military to improve your personal status in life is tantamount to murder.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Infrasilent

Agreed!!
This is why the US needs to start to manufacture things, something, anything, well other than bombs.
But kids are young and dumb, heck, I used to be young....

Therefore, most of the time they make bad decisions.
Well, at least we still make Bic lighters and Webber barbeques....

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
people, people...Islamofascists are at war with the U.S. our troops are fighting them over there so we won't have to deal with them over here. corporations had nothing to do with 9/11 or the Cole or Bali or the embassy or any of a number of other attacks. there is a very real enemy that wants to kill us, or at least transform our way of life and force us to live theirs. that's not agitprop, that's reality. we're up against fanatical zealots who hate our very values.
I'm disappointed how insulated certain people are (the academic community, the media establishment), considering their influence. ironically, those are the very types of people the enemy would most like to gain control over.

top topics

join