It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which one would you choose?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Thought this was the best place for this topic, so if misplaced mods move it.

I've been thinking for awhile now where to go either before or after when the SHTF.

en.wikipedia.org...

Was thinking moving to the Ozarks range since it has 47,000 square miles of land.

www.peakbagger.com...

And the Appalachian range has 737,013 sq mi

So my question is which one of these ranges is more hospitable, and when cooking how could you limit the amount of smoke so you don't attract attention to yourself in the wild. Going completely off grid seems to be the only way to be free. I'm going to assume Appalachians. what are your thoughs?
edit on 2-12-2011 by mytheroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Where you would go would depend on the what actually happened when the SHTF. You must remember that these places would be some of the first places that people would migrate to in an actual emergency. If nuclear weapons were to be used, mountainous regions would be just as hazardous as other places due to nuclear fallout. I would recommend having several places to go, giving you several options.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mytheroy

It seems the mountain ranges are OCCUPIED? so I cannot tell which is better. If you can get out to SEA there may be more opputunity depending on the size of your boat. Like a cruise ship fully loaded with food supplies and gas. Parked somewhere off a coast somewhere. But then, if its some type of invasion then the ship may be a sitting duck so its hard to call it really. Sometimes I think volcanos can be access/exit ports for SOME? good luck as far as fire and smoke find a cave that has a decent tunnel access and take it from there.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
As for controlling the amout of smoke from a fire....keep it small....no bigger than you need for cooking (or staying warm). Also, try experimenting with different types of wood. Some types of wood produce more smoke than others.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Ozarks,

Last I heard SHTF bunker type mansions are popping out of the ground there like shrooms...

So must be the place to be then I guess

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Yeah but if nuclear fall out there is a mountain to carve your own cave right?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

A Campstove should eliminate the smoke unless you burn the food! IMHO

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I grew up around the Ozark mountains. I could survive there much more easily than in the Appalacians. Plenty of fresh water, caves, wild life, and cover. Not much snow, but there is some bitter cold and hot seasons.

For me, the benefit in the Apalachians is the trail. One coud go up there and hike and prepare well in advance. Also, the shear size of it is a benefit.

I don't think you have to choose. You just go where is convenient.

If Yellowstone blows, the Ozarks might be a bad choice, but if WWIII breaks out, you might not want to be near a coastline.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Which one are you closer to?

The Ozarks area has very light population density compared to the Appalachians. That's a plus.

Depending on what happens that Appalachian range could be a seawall on the East Coast. That could be a benefit. Wipe out much of that population density.

The people out there will more robust than many of the people in the East as well with the exception of the Southeast and the Northeast but those are the less densely populated regions of the East.

If nothing wipes out the cities of the East I say go to the Ozarks. If something wipes out the cities of the East go to Appalacha.

Other people are a liability. Especially hysterical and useless east coast city types.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

There are several problems with caves during nuclear fallout. You would have to be rather deep inside the cave to protect from radiation. The duration of stay inside the cave would vary depending on where you are in relationship to the nuclear strike points. Fires inside a cave are not a very good idea unless they are well ventilated, so oxygen levels are of great concern. If you have enough ventilation to have fire, you probably don't have enough protection against radiation....For nuclear SHTF situations, the best solution I have is to find an old military radiation proof semi trailer. We found one years ago on a government auction site. Properly outfitted and secured, it's the best option that I've found.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I'm In Ky so Appalachians seems the best bet.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I'm in Ky as well, so the Ozarks and Appalachians are options for me, but not in the top ten places to go if it's an actual survival situation. Look for other uninhabited areas within an hour or two of travel time....you may not even get that long to get there if something actually happens.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I'd go to the Appalachians because it is closer to me and more familiar to me. I think that in the event of a nuclear event it would be good to be near a underground water source, because the rivers and creeks would be toxic.

If you could find a cave that would allow for it, then keeping a small fire in the cave might cut down on smoke seen from outside....I guess it would depend on the caves structure though....that is a tough one, really.

Also, the mountains get very cold, and if there were a nuclear winter, it would be freezing, the flora and fauna would begin to die off and it would be very isolated....just some things to consider.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye

I'm in Ky as well, so the Ozarks and Appalachians are options for me, but not in the top ten places to go if it's an actual survival situation. Look for other uninhabited areas within an hour or two of travel time....you may not even get that long to get there if something actually happens.

Thats where I have the problem. My uncle has land near rough river but I feel it's to close to humanity. I want to drop off the grid and never be seen again. where in or around Ky could you go? what are a few of the top 10 in your book? I wont tread on you promise lol also will be hunting by shot gun so I need to far away

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I could tell you about the places that I would go if things got bad, but most of them aren't on a map and only a couple even have names that I know of. The few that are on a map don't even look like a place to go unless you have actually been there and walked them over for yourself. A few things I can tell you is stay away from places like state parks, tourist attractions, etc...for example Mammoth Cave. How many people do you think are going to head there if things go bad?...too many for me...

Assuming that you have learned some basic survival skills and know what to look for, spend a couple days driving around about an hour radius from where you live. There are some great places that people don't even know exist if you look carefully. I know of several cave systems within ten minutes of my house that I can get to quickly if I have to. The largest one only a handful of people even know about, and it isn't on any type of map that I'm aware of.

I think one of the most important things to remember is that if you aren't already there when things get bad, it may be difficult to get yourself and equipment there. Roads may be impassable, cars may not work, too many people running around crazy.

...getting there is half the battle...

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
IMHO the Appalachian. 1: the winters are not as cold but if they are its not for long. 2: close to the ocean compared to the Ozarks that way if its a zombie invasion you dont have to fight through Louisiana or Mississippi to catch a boat.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ga-`tv-gi

But the zombies will be coming from the East Coast!! Ozarks win in an zombie scenario! Far less dense population means far less zombies. There are lakes and streams everywhere. Farm implements everywhere. And everyone there is armed with rifles and shotguns. You won't be fighting alone, the zombies will be cut down from every direction.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

But the zombies will be coming from the East Coast!! Ozarks win in an zombie scenario! Far less dense population means far less zombies. There are lakes and streams everywhere. Farm implements everywhere. And everyone there is armed with rifles and shotguns. You won't be fighting alone, the zombies will be cut down from every direction.

I would say California is where they come from...hey 3/4 of that state is looking like them now...if it wasn't for plastic surgery!!!lol

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Good point , yall got room

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

That's true! They'll be coming from both coasts! Hopefully the Rockies and the Apalachians slow them down, the NWO at Denver should take out a big chunk, the Mississippi river will be quite a hurdle. By they time they get to the Ozarks, we'll be ready for em.

Always room for someone ready to fight the good fight!
edit on 2-12-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join