It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't you remember dreams

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Mods I couldn't figure out where to put this so move it you need to. With that said.

I'm going to jump right to the point. Over the past 10+ years I found that during my night sleep REM that when I wake up the next day I have no memory of a dream. I can't recall (OK maybe one two) but when I sleep during the day I dream and remember them I've tried to google this with no luck other than getting info on rem info. So my Question is why do people(I) dream more during the day verses dreaming at night.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mytheroy

When you dream it's stored in your short term memory, and since it didn't actually happen it doesn't transfer to your long term memory.
This is why most of the dreams that we remember, are right before we wake up.
edit on 2-12-2011 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
To learn to remember your dreams, get a notebook and pen to keep next to your bed. When you wake in the mornings, write what you remember. It will get easier with a little time.

link   
it's because you're sleeping really deep at night. when you sleep during the day it's probably not as a deep of sleep.
edit on 2-12-2011 by biggmoneyme because: (no reason given)

link   
^ Correct.

Also, the key is to think about them again as soon as you wake up, then youll remember them later in the day.

I've heard that lack of Zinc contributes to not being able to remember your dreams..
Some how.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenRuled
To learn to remember your dreams, get a notebook and pen to keep next to your bed. When you wake in the mornings, write what you remember. It will get easier with a little time.

I wake up blank

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I remember my dreams fairly well. For example, I woke up a couple hours ago and I had a dream that I was hunting with my deceased brother. While hunting, I saw dinosaurs and thought, "Wtf?" Then I realized that I was carrying a rifle when it was actually bow season, so I had to go home to get my bow because I didn't want to break the hunting rules.

I get home and run into John Krazinski, the guy who plays Jim Halpert on the Office. We talk for a few minutes then he says that his wife is in the hospital and about to have a baby, and he's going to go see her. His wife happens to be Jenna Fischer, who plays Pam Beasley Halpert on the Office.

So, I end up going to the hospital to visit Pam and Jim. I stop at the gift shop in the hospital and that's where I bump into Ed Helms, who plays Andy Bernard, also on the Office. (If you haven't noticed, I like The Office, and watched it the night before)

Andy/Ed and I are looking for shoes, for some reason, in the gift shop. I told him I would buy him some when he picked out what he wants.

Next, I'm at the information desk trying to find what room Pam Halpert is in. They tell me and I head that way, but now I'm carrying a huge clear plastic bag of popcorn, I guess as a gift to Pam. I head to her room, but I don't remember much after that point.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The dreams that are crazy I remember but yeah I should actually log my dreams because some of them are pretty insane at times and it would be nice to look back at in a couple of years time.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Yeah,

Writing down your dreams really help remembering them. I used to do it, and I could remember my dreams every night after a couple of weeks!

Now I don't do it anymore, still I remember my dreams every morning and they are actually very vivid and real!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
After reading the other posts all I have to add is how do you know you are experiencing deep sleep or R.E.M.? Someone would have to witness your rem(rapid eye movement) sleep. Most of the other answers I agree with, try the sleep diary.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by demented
After reading the other posts all I have to add is how do you know you are experiencing deep sleep or R.E.M.? Someone would have to witness your rem(rapid eye movement) sleep. Most of the other answers I agree with, try the sleep diary.

Thats a good question, so unless I go to a sleep study I'll never know lol.besides hooking me up to electrodes might make it hard to fall asleep since I sleep on my left side mostly

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

in addition to keeping a dream diary

it is of utmost importance to not move at all when you wake up
go over the dream a couple of times and then record it

on the other hand you can keep still and fall back into the dream with the added bonus of increasing your chances of having a lucid dream, if it was a nightmare or you didnt like how it ended you can use this trick to alter the dream.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I would like to have a VCR that I could hook up and record my dreams like a TV show. I have had some dreams that I could sell movie rights to. But most of my dreams would not be fit for viewers under 21.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
As soon as you wake up in the morning just lay still, clear your mind and don't think about anything that has to do with starting your day. Relax (without falling back asleep) and let your mind wander. Really write it down, it will 'train' you to remember them. That's what I have done when I began not remembering my dreams after always having remembered them before. After a while I could once again remember them vividly.

Peace & Love

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
In my opinion memory is associative so we are more likely to remember dream elements when something in our waking life "jogs" a memory. The more different our dreams are from waking life, the harder they are to remember because we have more difficulty connecting our dream experiences to waking experiences.

Also, the more you think about or remember something, the more you "burn" it into your head. I like to think of it as reinforcing neural paths. The less we reinforce memories the faster they fade.

Some dreams are so bizarre that they are practically impossible to remember even immediately after waking.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

When you dream it's stored in your short term memory, and since it didn't actually happen it doesn't transfer to your long term memory.
This is why most of the dreams that we remember, are right before we wake up.
edit on 2-12-2011 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

i have been able to remember many dreams over long periods of time. i can remember dreams from when i was a little kid. i can remember it like i just woke up from it. and sometimes i remember dreams like real events. i've said to people before "hey remember when you did..." and they dont remember. because i dreamed it

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Do you remember this "life" (dream) when you are dreaming?
As above so below. When you practice dream journals your dreams become lucid remembering both places. This is building a bridge making the dream world similar in ways to both extremes yet not exact. Light switches come to mind.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by devilishlyangelic23

you probably express a lot of intuition also.
2nd

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
dream journals are good..

something not mentioned but in line with the dream journal before you fall asleep say to yourself I will remember my dreams, you can also implant ideas as to what you will dream about...

with practice your brain can do amazing things it just takes repetitive meditation and chanting much like Buddhism.
Focus...and just be...

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

Yea like any muscles in our body, we are meant to practice practice practice. Especially, the brain (thought) and tongue (transformation).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join