It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do people know about Bengal cats?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
That is not a "Bengal Tiger", it's a Bengal Cat.

Here is the difference, please read these two wiki's.

Bengal (Cat)

The Bengal is a relatively new hybrid breed of cat, formed by the cross of a domestic feline and an Asian Leopard Cat ("ALC").

The name Bengal cat was derived from the taxonomic name of the Asian Leopard Cat (P. b. bengalensis), and not from the more distantly related Bengal tiger.

And here is the Bengal Tiger, a ferocious giant beast.

These are two totally distinct things and we must be careful to differentiate between them.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I say get it! And let me know if there are any more left to purchase!!!!!
I even asked the Hubby for a kitten for Christmas!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
My friend has an Asian Leopard......hes as good as gold. But VERY boisterous. He hasnt killed or maimed anything, and he is about 3 years old.

The pic of the cat you are looking to buy doesnt look like a bengal....no white spots on its ears....are you sure its really a bengal you are being sold???

Heres a video i took a couple of years ago of him

edit on 2-12-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

Pretty sure. Here' a pic of his sister.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I think people know the difference dude...i dont think the OP is expecting to get a bengal tiger

EDIT: An asian leopard cat is what my friend has....she paid £5000 for it...and has to have a dangerous animal license to keep it
edit on 2-12-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Goats are cheaper to maintain and you wont have to worry about being attacked .

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
reply to post by muzzleflash

I think people know the difference dude...i dont think the OP is expecting to get a bengal tiger

Sorry I meant my reply to whomever said that on page 1. Maybe I misread it, but it wasn't at the OP.

Yeah either I misread it or they edited it out. I could have swore someone near the bottom said tiger but I can't find it now. Oh well, my bad.
edit on 2-12-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Install a giant aquarium in your house with a full grown great white shark,if you say you are looking for a novelty pet,thats a novelty.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by brindle
Install a giant aquarium in your house with a full grown great white shark,if you say you are looking for a novelty pet,thats a novelty.

I like unique.
I like different.
(heck, that's why I'm on ATS)
Don't want dangerous.
Hence the thread.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I had 2 bengal kittens a few years ago....they werent vicious, they just ripped everything...and i do mean everything to shreds. My girlfriend of the time wanted them, couldnt have one...had to have two.

My advice is this....if you dont mind living with nothing get one...but if you value your possessions, DONT lol

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

I like unique.
I like different.
(heck, that's why I'm on ATS)
Don't want dangerous.
Hence the thread.
The chances of having an incident with the bengal cat is a million times more than the chances of having some sort of incident with an aquarium great white shark.When is the last time you read a story saying man attacked by aquarium shark,shark bites through 1 ft thick glass.If you dont want dangerous,get a nice dog .

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
It is pretty funny though.Its hard to believe you are choosing getting a cat over a dog.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by brindle

I stand a better chance of getting a shark than the cat now.
(shakes fist)
My bride read your comments!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

It is pretty funny though.Its hard to believe you are choosing getting a cat over a dog.
We recently lost our dog Lula. She suffered from epilepsy. She was a rescue animal and another dog right now would be a bit much. We've always had animals in our lives and n our house. It just seems kinda quiet right now.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by brindle

I stand a better chance of getting a shark than the cat now.
(shakes fist)
My bride read your comments!

I did you a favor,what were you going to do,walk your cat on a nice sunny spring day.Your judgement is temporarily clouded,it happens to everyone.Now go get yourself a big family dog to cuddle with .

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I own a cat whose bengal/tabby mixed. He's got the swirley black patterns on his coat (he has white bootie paws, white belly, and the rest is grey. When people come over my house, he usually runs to our bedroom because he's nervous around new people. When my friends see him, they can't get over how cute/handsome he is. My best friend says he's the most beautiful cat she has ever seen, and I agree.

Temperment wise, he behaves like a dog. He actually initiates fetch a lot. He is very very gentle with other animals and people. I call him my little shadow because wherever I go, he's with me. My husband and I rescued him 4 years ago from behind a trash can, when he was 8 weeks old and pretty much feral. When we took him, he was pretty violent, but about 24 hours later (vet visit, and de fleeing medication included), we knew he was gonna be ok. We had another cat about a year older that he bonded with immediately and from there he gradually developed a trust with people. To my husband and I, he's our little baby (actually he's about 19 lbs w/ no fat, structurally he's the size of a small/medium dog). Let me also note that he invites himself to sit at our dinner table every night. Cutest thing ever.

Bengal cats are said to have dog like temperments, they like playing games, they're friendly, and love water. I'm sure if it has been domesticated properly and treated well, it won't attack you in your sleep or whatever. Just be selective on what you take home, but more importantly, make sure you treat it well. We treated our little guy well, and he's been our little fluff ball over the past 4 years. Good luck.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by helster83

Thanks for your input and great story.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
I say get it! And let me know if there are any more left to purchase!!!!!
I even asked the Hubby for a kitten for Christmas!

Where do you live?
I'll give you the email.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You do not want to get that cat! One of my sons' hates cats and
he claims that he played golf with a few.This is the kind of cat
that I want for my son's next golf partner.
Do yourself a favor and check out the local shelter and get a normal
cat.The kind of cat you can scratch their belly on the outside,not
the inside.

I live in ohio,so,when I hear anything about bengals I assume tigers...
edit on 2-12-2011 by mamabeth because: added

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I've had a Bengal cat. She was 3 generations off the Asian Snow Leopard add in. Her temperament was insanely aggressive. She wasn't suitable for children. The breeder acknowledged that the whole litter was a little aggressive and offered to refund my $1500.00 6 months after I got her. I had no problem with her, so I said, "No way." She is one of my favorite cats that I've ever 'owned'. Her aggression manifested in biting. It wasn't a huge deal, but cause for concern. On the up side, she was so confident that I walked her in a downtown area and she was great. People would comment on her beauty and she would allow them to pet her. I didn't train that....it was natural. They are very dog like. She followed me around the house like a dog. She was very, very smart, which I loved!

I'd definitely get another Bengal. I would make sure it was at least 5 generations removed this time, I think. It's too hard on a wild tempered cat to live by human rules. I like aggressive/dominant/smart animals. My Blue Heeler is quite a handful, but there is no better dog in the world if you're willing to work with them. I'm in love with that dog. She's more dangerous than my kitty ever was!
edit on 2/12/11 by RainbeauBleu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I am not sure I follow the thinking behind this decision.Did you wake up one day,and say I want to get the biggest strongest fighting cat on the planet?Sometimes I try to rationalize things.This is one of those times I just cant make any sense of any of it.Having a family living with you,wouldnt the normal thought pattern be to want a docile loving animal who will protect the family,instead of an animal who quite possibly will cause situations that wont be positive.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join