It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(WTB) What's for Dinner?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
My heart beats hard as I enter. The place smells of many things. Sweat from other shoppers, sushi, flowers, a whiff of cooked meat that’s been sitting out too long.

I gather all my nerve for what I am about to do. I must grocery shop. The store is packed with other shoppers. Some stronger than me, some weaker. I have a plan of what items I need to look for. I know the route I need to take.

My first encounter is at the cart corral. I need a cart in order to get my things! But, HE is blocking my path. Obviously not in a big hurry to move, He pulls out a cart and looks at me, takes a moment to decide what direction he wants to go, and finally, he leaves the area and I am able to get a cart. I take a step forward to get a cart. Just as I lay my hands on one, another person steps in front of me and takes it. I scream in my mind “curse you evil doer! It was my turn to get a cart!” I mentally shake my fist at that person as they walk away, blissfully unaware of any wrongdoings they may have done.

Finally, I get my cart and move forward. I am walking the perimeter of the store, first hitting the deli, than the produce section. Everywhere I go my path is blocked. It feels as though I am playing Frogger inside the grocery store. I dodge the lady at the floral department. Swerve right at the clueless couple that is trying to pick out cheese (its cheese for Christ’s sake!) I finally get to the deli and pull my number from the dispenser….number 99. The sign reads now serving 22 “Oh for the love of”……... I am o.k. I will just go to the produce section and circle back in a few minutes.

After dodging more carts and people, I get to the table with fruit. Oh No!! There are 3 people just standing there talking in front of it. I casually walk over next to them. Trying to tell them with my body movements that I need to get in there. They do not notice. I inch closer and closer…finally I clear my throat and say “excuse me “they don’t hear me and continue to talk. “omg! How can you guys be so rude! Is there no one else that matters in this world except for you!” I mentally shake my fist at them as I walk back to the deli department and check on the now serving sign. O.k. We are at #37, getting close.

I realize that I probably have enough time to go get some canned goods and dog food before my number comes up. I make my decision to re route to those locations and come back later to the deli.

As I walk through the main aisle, I remind myself of the number 1 rule: never go the main aisle, it’s always congested. I do anyways, as it is the shortest route to the canned goods. Great! Now I get stuck in a traffic jam of shoppers who have finished picking out there product and are ready to purchase. The lines are long and the people are agitated. Someone is reading a magazine as I pass by. Another whispers “oh my god, she’s paying with check, who does that anymore” I steer through the traffic and take the first exit off. Lucky! It’s the canned goods aisle.

I look down the aisle, and see a mass of people in it. Apparently I am not the only one who steers clear of the main aisle. I cannot even see a break in the carts in order to move down it. But, eventually, I make my way. There is a little old lady standing in front of the canned goods I want to buy. I cannot reach the canned goods because she is standing in front of them trying to reach something from the top shelf. I offer my assistance. I grab the can she wants and she thanks me, and moves along. Just as I am ready to claim her spot as my own, another shopper moves in and takes it. “You son of a Bi...” I mentally shake my fist at her as I walk away.

I decide to go back to the deli as I have wasted so much time that I need to check to see if my number is up yet. Once I get close, I look at the now serving sign. I cannot even believe it…it’s impossible…I just can’t…..

# 1…they are serving # 1!!

I bow my head, and look in my cart…empty. There is nothing for my family to eat. I have to get something for dinner….
I look up and see all the people around me. And it just dawns on me. I know what I have to do.
Quickly, I grab my purse, abandon my cart and head for the door. They are still blocking my every move, but I am on a mission. I cannot be stopped. I run/walk out of the store, to my car, and squeal my tires out of the parking lot. Holding my middle finger up as I leave.
The solution to dinner was so easy. The signs were there all along. Where’s the beef? I know where it is. It’s on the corner of 5th and main. It’s called Wendy’s. And it is what’s for dinner tonight.

edit on 2-12-2011 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
What is WTB????

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
What is WTB????

HAHA, I had the same question.
I think it means wheres the beef.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Whats does your WTB in the title mean ?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

It's a short storie's contest. Wheres the beef is the subject and has to be put in the title.
Thats why your seeing several threads started with that in the subject line.

Cheers!
blend57

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by blend57
reply to post by Vandalour

It's a short storie's contest. Wheres the beef is the subject and has to be put in the title.
Thats why your seeing several threads started with that in the subject line.

Cheers!
blend57

funny, in fact this is the first I see in the two years I been a member

I always thought WTB was Want To Buy..

Anyway im having lasagne with garlic bread

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Good twist at the end. I thought you were gonna gripe about the experience of shopping in a grocery store. Uhm....

Well written. You have a bit of talent with descriptions. Keep up the good work. Flag from me.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Thanks for the critique! I appreciate the input. A lot of people don't realize how hard it is to put yourself out there. It's almost like standing on a stage naked!!! LOL.

I like this contest because it is so open ended. I've been reading several of the stories, and they are all pretty good, very unique.

thanks again!

Cheers!
blend57

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by blend57

That was awesome!

It made me want to go to your grocery store and start punching people in the face.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by blend57

This is probably how a lot of people feel about shopping.
Good story,star and flag.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
where is the link to the contest??

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by lyons666
where is the link to the contest??

Here it is: www.abovetopsecret.com...

And while I'm at it, here's the link to my entry: The Enslavement of Man (by Women) [WTB]

You'll either laugh your but off or want to rip my eyes out, depending on what sex you are.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

thank you, for the link.. i still need to read the entries, sounds like they should be real good..and i will check out your entry too!

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by lyons666

If that's really you in your avatar, you probably won't like it but, feel free to tell me so in my thread.

I always appreciate comments in my threads even those that tell me that I'm wrong and don't know what I'm talking about.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by blend57

Really enjoyed your story -- frustration relayed with humor is a winning combination, topped off by some ironic resolve at the end. It doesn't feel like defeat to me -- more like, "stick a fork in this day, it's done. Tomorrow's another day to fight the good fight anew." I have to go to the city tomorrow, and not really looking forward to it for this reason. Just the parking lots alone are like an all-day game of chicken. That's what rental cars are for

new topics

top topics

join