It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Say goodby to the American dream, here is the European Dream.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
www.sfgate.com.../chronicle/a/2004/09/05/RVGEV8F29O1.DTL

A interesting article suggesting the American dream is succoming to a new European model.

I am sure this will get a responce or two...

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Yeah with that kind of flame bait topic header, maybe this should be moved to the mudpit before it gets nasty.

But, the work to live live to work theme while admirable may not be working:

www.umwaelzung.de...

And a fountain of youth too. The reality was that France's employment rose when U.S. growth lifted the global economy. Once the American economy slowed, France awoke from its dream. For one thing, those new jobs had been subsidized with about $10.6 billion in government tax rebates to companies. Unsurprisingly, the artificial jobs produced artificial higher output. Meanwhile, tax revenue has fallen, with Budget Minister Alain Lambert estimating that the 35-hour law costs the country $17.6 billion each year
www.opinionjournal.com...

In this context, I hardly think the American dream has ended. Also, the EU's tactics on trade and the like also are open to questions as well.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Ok its just a book by this Rifkin fellow. But nevertheless I find it worth thinking about.
The world view of most western people is changing and this an attempt to quantify this change. The US is loosing its "moral highground" rapidly as more and more are seeing it for the venus flytrap that it is. Also as Europe moves closer to a "united states of Europe" I think it reasonable to expect some recurreces from the past esp. US history as the two events mirror each other in more ways than one.

Well that was my two cents...

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Just compare the two dreams and comment on wether this is a fair statement.

Don't try to analyse EU living standards and claim its not a dream... the US "dream" is a lie to get people to emigrate to a life of wage slavery to corporations with no guarantee of social security or health care.

Edit: Spelling

[edit on 6/9/2004 by Corinthas]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas
www.sfgate.com.../chronicle/a/2004/09/05/RVGEV8F29O1.DTL

A interesting article suggesting the American dream is succoming to a new European model.

I am sure this will get a responce or two...

As a European, proud British men aswell, the European model is pure crap
Think of the thousands of people who imgrate to Europe for that "dream"...most of them face racism, rejection and alienation from society...some dream

If you are a European then the European dream is alive and well,sadly due to the EU, its not for non Europeans.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Can we just discuss the comparison please?

US dream vs. EU dream

-one getting more prominant, one in decline?

-one better or worse?

-other diffrences?

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Well.......
i thought the American dream died ages ago, hopefully an American ATS member will shed some light on this

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
European dream? I don't think we have one that is comparable to the American dream from washing the dishes to millionair.

That dreams comes from a time, long ago but it's still possible. Though, not only in the USA - just everywhere. The right idea at the right time and the American dream can take place everywhere.

The European dream you might think about is more an attitude towards life. At least here in Germany people try to "work for living" and not the other way round. Of course there are people who think different but I would say it is the average attitude.

Personally this is more right to me than "live to work" and I hope it becomes more present here and in the USA so people can enjoy living more than now.

The problem.
The problem comes from immigration(nothing against foreigners) as those are especially motivated and will live for work just to get a grip in our countries. Basically the typical westerners try to make their living more relaxed but they are facing a new motivated competing labourship from other countries which will make it hard to do so.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas
Don't try to analyse EU living standards and claim its not a dream... the US "dream" is a lie to get people to emigrate to a life of wage slavery to corporations with no guarantee of social security or health care.

Our country is filled with people that made it to the top. And face it, alot of our immigrants come from countries were the standard of living is challanging to say the least. Citizens do have social security and health care if they cannot afford it. Socialized medicine carries its own price in taxes etc. You speak of the American dream as if yuo have experienced it and did not achieve it? What are you basing the Lie on?

The "American Dream" is not socialized advancement. You get what you put into it.

new topics

top topics

join