It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maya researchers Astounded by Comalcalco Brick (Romans in Americas 1000's yrs before Columbus?)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

After years of hosting legitimate archaeological research within its 365 acre nature reserve and through its Natural History Centre, Chaa Creek Maya research coordinators said they are astounded by the revelations surrounding news of the so-called Comalcalco brick discovered in Mexico.

Please go to source article for pic of Brick. I can't post it. Please post if you wish. Thank you

Some of the startling finds could indicate an ancient Roman presence in the region thousands of years before Columbus’s arrival, according to researchers at the Comalcalco archaeological site. “While the association to December 21 2012 is under debate, we’re astounded by other information coming from the site. Potentially, this is one of the greatest finds of the century,”

However, the Comalcalco site has yielded evidence that does have the potential to stand history as we know it on its head. The Comalcalco site is unique in many ways, not the least in that it is constructed of millions of bricks. Archaeologists were surprised to find the inner-facing sides of many bricks had images and inscriptions on them. The mystery deepened when they discovered these hidden sides also contained marks virtually identical to so-called “makers marks” on ancient Roman bricks made half a world away centuries ago, leading one of the sites’ researchers, Neil Steede, who noted the correlation while photographing some 1500 bricks to say, “The illustrated bricks of Comalcalco are pieces to a grand puzzle, whose completed, final image may reveal a Roman Christian presence in the Americas a thousand years before the arrival of Columbus.”

“As interest in the Maya and 2012 continues to grow, we expect that new information will come to light, but the news from Comalcalco is earth-shattering and completely unexpected. At Chaa Creek, our interest has always been to present credible information and provide authentic Maya experiences, and when things like the Comalcalco brick come up you naturally pay attention. “However, the more we studied it the more interesting it became, and the ancient Roman connection, whatever it may prove to be, stopped us right in our tacks. To say that it was more than we bargained for is an understatement. It’s just astounding,” he said.

Source: archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com...

Okay, this deserves a WTH (heck). How could it be possible that some how the Roman's got to or influence Brick making in the Maya era?

I am at a total loss. ATSers with the know of a definitive time line of events.

I have to say, if true, this would turn things on it's ear for that region... for sure. I wonder why more haven't been found at other sites? Or maybe they were and disgarded or overlooked.

It seems to me that the closer we get to 2012 the more back peddling there is from the storyline of Doom & Gloom. None the less, very interesting.

Mexico glyphs don't predict apocalypse says expert

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2ffa6c269f5e.jpg[/atsimg]
archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com...

edit on 12/2/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Absolutely brilliant find. We know that Romans had established trading posts / colonies in India (for trade with China) so it is entirely plausible that they also went the other way. I have to say though that is a trip i wouldn't like to undertake on a Roman galley!

P.S. If i could, you would get a bonus star for gratuitous use of Maya disc!

edit on 2-12-2011 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I would just like to make it clear that the findings at Comalcalco have been known for years. Why the media is trying to portray these as new discoveries is beyond me. I have pointed out in numerous threads now why the Comalcalco bricks do not refer to 2012 and I am currently looking into the legitimacy of these Roman claims, so hopefully I can provide a more complete response shortly.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
A fairly large thread on this was posted about 5 days ago here

ATS thread

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I think if I were putting out a news report about how the makers marks on Mayan and Roman bricks were 'virtually identical', I would have photos of both with the report.

It would be nice to compare the marks.

Oh, and I too appreciate the Mayan disc photo. TY

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Sorry. You know I am a photos accompaning threader... well, was. Will be again someday.

I can't put new photos into the system with the computer I am using. Only one one. I hardly even post anymore do to that.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
reply to post by butcherguy

Sorry. You know I am a photos accompaning threader... well, was. Will be again someday.

I can't put new photos into the system with the computer I am using. Only one one. I hardly even post anymore do to that.
That wasn't directed at you, anon.

When I looked at the linked story, there is only the pic of the Mayan brick.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
I would just like to make it clear that the findings at Comalcalco have been known for years.
Why the media is trying to portray these as new discoveries is beyond me.
I have pointed out in numerous threads now why the Comalcalco bricks do not refer to 2012

i'm with you 100% (only 1 star ;-)

the articles i've read say the referenced 'time' on the marred Comalcalco brick is a recurring 'date/event' found to be more than once in the 5,120 year time line of the Maya calendar... so it is deduced that the winter solstice of 2012 is not implied on this newly deciphered brick

about this 'makers marks'... i think the author is trying to say that markings of the brick-maker are thought to be present on the Mayan bricks...just as some bricks made by some Roman manufacturers were 'signed'...
just like might be discovered some day that the brick makers in China or Babylon or Sumeria sometime 'signed' their creations with 'makers marks' too...i do not think that actual Romans showed the technology to the Maya and the May copied the same Roman 'makers marks' on the bricks made in central america

i think the Maya, in making the characters or reliefs on the inside face of the bricks were telling an 'inside' story while the outside fascia made a utilitarian ediface...temple/courtyard, et al
the interior of the structure would be likened to the world itself...with the canopy of the stars and atmosphere being the outward building itself -- a little metaphorical license being played out here (as only the Priests, as insiders would have knowledge of)

And i do not think the blogspots' imagining that a Christian Roman 'story' would be the message of the completed interior stone facing... i think it would have more to do with the 'layers' of gods in the affairs and psyche of men and how menkind is directed & controlled by these forces..including the sacred rites of cutting out hearts

thanks for listening

sheeze,,,,
this thread sounds like the circle of whisperers...
as the secret gets told into each succeeding ear, the tale gets more elaborate and embellished

thanks
edit on 2-12-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I find a couple of problems with this report. First, the photographer quoted doesn't seem to be any authority on the subject. If he is, he seems to have made two drastic comments that a professional archaeologist definitely would not utter. In the same sentence he supposedly said "roman christian" and "thousands of years earlier than Columbus." Those two phrases both seem to be gross exaggerations about both origins and the time span, both key to understanding where the bricks originated.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Thought you all may need a little more detailed image of it the way it was drawn years ago from a publication in 1820 . S&F
Nice job .
For pure speculation , the central image has 4 depictions boxed in , the lower left one has what appears to be a boat or ship on the water . 3 masts with a bow and stern to it and in internal view of the inside , the 5 circles across the side could be some peoples heads or other items on the boat/ship .

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Some of the startling finds could indicate an ancient Roman presence in the region thousands of years before Columbus’s arrival

Seems highly unlikely. A Roman presence would certainly mean that Roman artifacts would have been left behind as well, yet none have been discovered in the region. The Romans would also have established their own outposts and their own government if they had a "presence". This was the nature of the Roman Empire, it wasn't interested in rubbing elbows and sharing technology with natives, it was interested in conquest and world domination. Assuming they established a benign presence there and taught the locals how to mold and fire brick, would they not also have taught them how to construct dwellings? Yet there is no Roman influence evident in Mayan design. It just doesn't add up. It seems more likely that some Mayans encountered Romans elsewhere, learned about making brick and returned with that info. Either that or they learned about it secondhand from another ocean-faring group that had previously encountered Romans in their own travels.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchdog8110
For pure speculation , the central image has 4 depictions boxed in , the lower left one has what appears to be a boat or ship on the water . 3 masts with a bow and stern to it and in internal view of the inside , the 5 circles across the side could be some peoples heads or other items on the boat/ship .

Interesting observation! It doesn't look like a Roman ship though, they only had one mast. That looks more like a European sailing ship although the Mayans shouldn't have encountered one until well after the calendar was made. Perhaps it's just a case of pareidolia.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

edit on 2-12-2011 by watchdog8110 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
That site seems to push the 2012 story to boost tourism, book now for the dec 21st 2012 party. The Mayans were good with measuring time, but their holy 'wise' men were a little wacko in my opinion, blood rituals and all.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I'm convinced that there is much yet to be discovered about the past that will upset the current beliefs.

Just because we don't have it in our history books doesn't mean it didn't happen.

This is interesting.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
The only other possible is from here , the same question asked .

indigosociety.com...

but here we have some credible info on page 22 .

books.google.ca... um=7&ved=0CFIQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=roman%20ship%20in%20south%20america&f=false

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Well, I guess it was possible and plausable.

But, an oddity-for me and many due to what or how we were educated....

I guess we shouldn't be amazed they made it to the Americas. Just set sail and see where you end up. The getting back to your home country part is what I find amzaing.

Well, in any event, great find and I believe it does change the way we thoughts things were to be... if ture.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
Well, I guess it was possible and plausable.

But, an oddity-for me and many due to what or how we were educated....

I guess we shouldn't be amazed they made it to the Americas. Just set sail and see where you end up. The getting back to your home country part is what I find amzaing.

Well, in any event, great find and I believe it does change the way we thoughts things were to be... if ture.

My suspicion is that since religion was involved in those sailing ventures , the church had a lot to do with what was used for education purposes and what they held back from the regular folks . Wouldn't want the population going on their own explorations grabbing up all the gold now would they .

Taking over or influential changes in your favor of another culture has sometimes if not all the time changed it for the worst possible outcome . IMO Whether the Mayans were fine prior to any new peoples landing on their shores is perspective i guess . Where are they now ? The culture has gone extinct for the most part .

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchdog8110

My suspicion is that since religion was involved in those sailing ventures , the church had a lot to do with what was used for education purposes and what they held back from the regular folks .

Like what exactly?

Wouldn't want the population going on their own explorations grabbing up all the gold now would they

Yet they did, you might want to note the extent of exploration that occurred once knowledge of the new world got back to Europe followed by the announcement that the Portuguese had gotten to India

Taking over or influential changes in your favor of another culture has sometimes if not all the time changed it for the worst possible outcome. IMO

The Spanish had spent centuries fighting off the Muslims and their culture they were quite 'read up on' how to change cultures by the sword. It was rather common at that time, world wide, to wipe out and subjucate your foes - something the Aztecs and Maya had done themselves

Whether the Mayans were fine prior to any new peoples landing on their shores is perspective i guess . Where are they now ? The culture has gone extinct for the most part .

The collection of cities states known as the 'Maya' had fallen apart centuries before the Spanish showed up the last city state lasted however to 1697 - the Maya fought the Spaniards and later the Mexican for centuries. You might want to look at the 'Caste war of Yucatan'

Caste war of Yucatan

They are still fighting - just in more subtle ways now oh and they are not 'gone extinct' just yet, lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join