It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can your TV be used as a Camera to Watch you?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andronian
reply to post by allintoaccount

As he will judge you, by the measure that you judge others.

Read the book you have missed a few things in there. No one is spotless ...No, not even the Holier than thou's.

And why does every thread have to become a platform to preach...go to the religion forum please.

edit on 2-12-2011 by Andronian because: (no reason given)

I'm not preaching, just stating.
God, allah, buddha will come to fruition through the web. Darwinism to dwarf all Darwinism.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Quick question.

Who is watching a few hundred million people and what useful information can be gleaned from seeing someone sat in a chair feeding their face and watching tv?

It's bad enough flicking through 800 channels of rubbish here without even contemplating some poor person having to trawl through 400 million channels of people just glaring at a flickering box.

Paranoia.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by tkwasny
If you have any device connected via HDMI to your HDTV and that device is connected to the internet, or if the HDTV has built in internet capability, unpublished circuitry could be installed in your HDTV and it provide both audio and video out from your room to anywhere. HDMI V1.4, that is.

www.hdmi.org...

Additionally, if there are any V1.4 HDMI device in your subnet with wifi, unpublished circuitry can provide snooping of all wifi devices in your dwellings wifi range, even close neighbors.

Hey, what's that knocking on my doo....
edit on 2-12-2011 by tkwasny because: Addition

edit on 2-12-2011 by tkwasny because: (no reason given)

Respect to you, knock knock . Lol
will my credit score pass euthanasia testing?
The question all poor people should ask themselves?
Wake up peeps?
The drones are coming!!!!!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I once saw a show on TV, discovery or history channel called "Catch Me If You Can". You might want to check it out. Talked about how to avoid being watched and was very enlightening. It was amazing how many ways people can be "found" these days.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tkwasny

ty - one more info in my TEMPEST/forensic database =)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Get rid of your Wi-Fi, install an "A-B" Switch on your Cable Line, and use a Powerstrip with its own
on/off switch to shut down these devices that consume (and waste energy) even in "Off" or Standby
Mode. I'm talking TV/Cableboxes here, not PC/Mac CPU units. Speakers can be turned into Mics.
The channels you watch,time amounts,and Channel Surfing Habits can definitely be monitored.
Yes, hidden audio/video devices can be Easily integrated into your TV. With an internal battery,
these devices could continue to record data even when unplugged. The stored data would be transmitted
the moment the connection is re-established using proprietary software. Definitely via USB, WI-FI connections.

Flat panels/Pixels
have the ability to work as a camera. A "camera" can be incorporated into the screen.
No, "They" are not actively watching you Per Say, but if you become a person of interest, "They"
could certainly Zoom in on your stored file and recent activities.
So, behave yourselves and don't become a "Person of Interest."
Could TV/Cableboxes be monitoring you? The answer is certainly yes.Especially the newer Internet connected
models.
That does not mean that "they"
are currently doing so. In the old days, this would require a court wiretapping order.
But nowadays, anything goes. All is fair in love and war I guess.

By the way, this is an excellent post, at least in my humble opinion. Great Job!
Keep it going. Star and Flag to you

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I believe in certain objects its possible. But one thing that freaks me out is the microsoft Kinect for Xbox 360, its a camera/motion sensor thing that can tilt to follow where you go. Also, it takes photos while you play the kinect games to see how "silly" you look. Personally, i think this is a spy unit, just look at it.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
As far as I know (Electrical Engineering Student) there is nothing in a typical TV that could easily be used for surveillance purposes. It would be POSSIBLE to listen to you through the TVs speakers if the TV was broadcasting signals from the loudspeakers to somewhere else, but IMO this is highly unlikely as their are MUCH better ways to spy on people.

For example, the government in the United States has the authority, through the Patriot Act, to eavesdrop on literally anything you do. They can read your email, track your web surfing habits, listen to your cell phone conversations, place listening devices in your residence etc... all without a warrant. There is no need to find a way to make your TV spy on you directly when they have many other methods at their disposal.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ThatGuy45

I have heard of this scenario before and I hope not.I don't watch
tv as much as I used to,I would rather be here instead.When our
big screen tv gave out,we started using an older tv to watch.I don't
think there will be a problem.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

Wow, thank you very much for that info. SO far, all my thoughts have been confirmed. Almost all devices bought today can be integrated somehow with a means to monitor your activity by whatever means.

The one that really piss' me off the most is that my TV screen can/Is a camera watching me as I watch it! And do you know what? I think thats Ironic - we watch it as it watches us, heh.

But as another poster said; do not live your life through another's eyes, but rather through your own. So there comes a point where as an individual you have to step back and take all of your knowledge with a grain of salt - but not be afraid to live your life how you want to. Apparently, somebody is always watching...

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

I will not, and I encourage others, NOT TO BUY A KINECT for XBOX! The games aren't even that great and it seems to be more for surveillance purposes then user 'friendly'. My opinion, but many others in this thread back me up on this.
edit on 2/12/11 by ThatGuy45 because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReeceIkyle
Quick question.

Who is watching a few hundred million people and what useful information can be gleaned from seeing someone sat in a chair feeding their face and watching tv?

It's bad enough flicking through 800 channels of rubbish here without even contemplating some poor person having to trawl through 400 million channels of people just glaring at a flickering box.

Paranoia.

IMO, automated software scanning for key words. As far as images..I honestly dont know - how far along are we with software, can video scanning software exist? One that can be set to 'look' for certain image 'types', I would think so...

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ThatGuy45

That is absolutely right. Smash the "Fear" concept. It is suprising that so many people think
"The Gov't this, The Gov't that," when it is private contracters/corporations who perform the most
efficient tracking and data mining. Not a bad distraction Heh?

Such is the power of the Lobby. Hey, not too much MSM discussion about these days.
Oh yeah, It is an election year. Not to be off topic, but it is truly relevent .

Pay no attention to The Man Behind the Curtain, The Great and Powerful Oz has Spoken.

Best in this Holy Day Season to you and yours! Thanks for the reply,

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Cool stuff, read of it many years ago but it dealt only with cathode ray tubed monitors/televisions. How long until everyone realises there are no secrets?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Not getting into a tech review...but the CIA and FBI and NSA have been turning "on" people phones (mouthpieces-microphone) at home to listen in...WHILE IT IS HUNG UP. At least since the 1960's.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
Someone posted a video here (I don't know where, sorry) and it showed a man opening up his set top box for the TV and it did indeed contain a tiny camera and I believe also a microphone.

Ha! Found it.

Dumb - Google infrared sensor. Most remotes still use the infrared light thingie...which involves little eye sensors.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by wavemaker
Maybe not on tv but there is a bigger probability that they are watching you through your webcam. I'm sure that webcams can be hacked by those who know how webcams work.

For a long time I haven't been able to access my webcam in Windows Explorer. It's built into my laptop's display. Whenever I click on it in Windows Explorer it says it's already in use by another application, yet I never have anything running that uses a webcam. I wonder if someone is watching from afar.

NOTE: It used to work perfectly within Windows Explorer.
edit on 12/3/2011 by 0001391 because: added note

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
Someone posted a video here (I don't know where, sorry) and it showed a man opening up his set top box for the TV and it did indeed contain a tiny camera and I believe also a microphone.

Ha! Found it.

Wow...a camera that can see through solid plastic....now thats what you call advanced technology

I think you will find the parts he is pointing at are not a camera and microphone....they may look similar, or he may have put them there to get views...but there is no way a camera can see through a solid object.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
nevermind
edit on 3-12-2011 by 1825114 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0001391

Originally posted by wavemaker
Maybe not on tv but there is a bigger probability that they are watching you through your webcam. I'm sure that webcams can be hacked by those who know how webcams work.

For a long time I haven't been able to access my webcam in Windows Explorer. It's built into my laptop's display. Whenever I click on it in Windows Explorer it says it's already in use by another application, yet I never have anything running that uses a webcam. I wonder if someone is watching from afar.

NOTE: It used to work perfectly within Windows Explorer.
edit on 12/3/2011 by 0001391 because: added note

Just put a piece of opaque material over your web cam lens when you aren't personally using it. If it is covered it cannot "see" anything. No need for any high tech paranoia or geek intervention.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join