It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can your TV be used as a Camera to Watch you?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

It can be done remotely as the provider has access to your box for updates...
If they can update, that means they already have a foot in the house...

And 20 years ago, they could close your TV and reopen it when you were first installing cable services. That's when I began thinking about that possibility, of spying on us through TVs...

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
Someone posted a video here (I don't know where, sorry) and it showed a man opening up his set top box for the TV and it did indeed contain a tiny camera and I believe also a microphone.

Ha! Found it.

Glad I didn't fall for the HD upgrade hype lol. For one it was forced, and it was to get people to spend money on useless crap. I was perfectly fine with analog TV, and see the problems that HD users have when a storm or heavy clouding occurs. oh well just my 2 cents

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ThatGuy45

Sure it could -- from accross the street.

A wireless connection has very limited range and I doubt the FBI or CIA are gonna camp outside somebody's house for weeks, especially if they want to spy on a large scale.

More like they'd bug your house or use your cell phone if they wanted to do something like this.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mytheroy

I've never had any issue with my HDTV when a storm rolls through. Are you referring to satellite users?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Irish614

The sensor does more than that. It gathers information from your house so it can advertise to your liking.
And this is just what they tell us. Who knows what else is going on.?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Irish614

I'm a satellite user and we mostly lose connection during summer time, when the sky is clear. It rarely happens during rain or snow. And even then, snow bugs your reception only if it covers your antenna.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

In regards to the guy finding the camera inside the cable box, it's a self confessed hoax

"I was listening to the Alex Jones show … and I heard him mention the video," Chronister says. "I just about fell out of the shower." (Jones Chronister says the video is partially true: A friend really did share the rumor about hidden camera in the DTV converters. "I originally opened up the device with the intention of proving him wrong," says Chronister. "At which point the thought popped in my head, wouldn’t it be funny if I proved him right instead?"

linky

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

im not talking about wireless, im talking wired. That comcast cable is a direct link to the comcast substation... and the power outlets connect to the powerlines that run all the way to the source. so right there is 2 means of transmission. All one needs to do is tap into the frequency range of said transmission and embed there own code. At this point all you need is identifiers on devices to be able to connect! Woah!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Oh wow, I had no idea it did that. Thankfully I don't have the move or kinect. I thought it was weird that they needed to use a camera for a gaming console.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Irish614
reply to post by GmoS719

Oh wow, I had no idea it did that. Thankfully I don't have the move or kinect. I thought it was weird that they needed to use a camera for a gaming console.

Yeah, it also has Face and Voice recognition. There is no limit to what it can do.
I basically uses lasers to scan everything it sees.
A tricky way for "?" to monitor us.
They aren't fooling me!

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Ahh yes, ok I understand now.

Yeah that's completely possible.

Terrifying.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Maybe not on tv but there is a bigger probability that they are watching you through your webcam. I'm sure that webcams can be hacked by those who know how webcams work.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Linux powers WiFi-equipped LCD-TV

www.linuxfordevices.com...

Other products with Linux

www.linuxfordevices.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

I don't even have a tv or tv services. Too expensive and does not offer me programming (what a wonderful double-edged word that is!) I want or need. I've been tv free for 3 or 4 years now and don't miss it a bit.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Let me start off by saying this: I used to run with the wrong crowd,and I have been around MANY people that would refuse to do any 'work' inside a room with the TV plugged in and this was way before digital tv's and every single one of them at one time or the other were in the military. Answer : YES I do believe that it is possible.
edit on 2-12-2011 by patmac573 because: did not sign it

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
You can buy products with built in surveillance cameras.

But not often would they be used.

Your landlord, the police and feds might use them and hide them in a home but consumer products would not have them as most are very short range and need a repeater to be usable by a agency.

Your landlord might put one in a smoke detector to use as a voyager camera if he lives in say the same apartment complex..

There are 300 million people in the US and to bug them all would be imposable and costly beyond measure.

Now laptops with built in web cameras is another compleat story in they can be used for anything.

If you travel outside the US and come through customs and they check your laptop without you watching they could plant a program on it to use to watch you. or a keylogger to record everything you type.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by patmac573

I've had too many personal conversations at home or work and then received a spam email about the exact subject I discussed to believe that it is entirely coincidental. I don't know exactly what is going on but I have my suspicions.
Fortunately most of the matters are mundane and rather uninteresting, even to me. But still,... it makes me wonder.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Your landlord might put one in a smoke detector to use as a voyager camera if he lives in say the same apartment complex..

I hope you are not suggesting this is legal?

That is wrong on every level..

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
We have 300 channels to watch.
They have over 300 million.

(Peter North , eat your heart out)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

There are 300 million people in the US and to bug them all would be imposable and costly beyond measure.

Not if you get the consumer to pay for it. Incorporate that into the cost of the device. Earlier posts we discuss the valid possibility of information being sent back and forth through the use of comcast cable, satellite, and even the very powerlines used to power the device. So all the means are there. The real question is: how far have 'they' gone?

Or even more, how far in depth have 'they' integrated surveillance tech into the very products we buy. cheaper Brands, i doubt it. But mid to expensive - well that just means more revenue for such R&D as well as providing a platform with 'more tech' crammed in helping to mask any 'odd' chips or sensing equipment that 'doesn't belong'.

Just think for a second, If you were to right now rip open your TV and look at all the components, would you be able to describe each and every device on the circuit board and then confirm its 'true' function?
I cannot, and if someone can then please, by all means, share with us.

Just like with the 'UFO' people - hide it in plain site. heh, most would not even know how to get into the TV let alone prove its functions! Just food for thought....

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join