It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If all of the atheists left

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
[HYPOTHETICAL]

What if all of the atheists in america decided to leave the country and start their own society?

The logistics are not important as it is hypothetical but, just supposin', there was a place to move to and a way to easily leave and start a new society, for arguments sake.

Then, a lot of the issues that there is debate about could be settled much easier i.e. abortion, gay rights, premarital sex and so forth. (I realize that there are atheists against these things and maybe even some christians for them but, just talking about the majority.)

So, would you be opposed to such a thing happening? Do you think that the religious society would thrive? What about the atheists?

Keep in mind that ALL of the atheists would be leaving.. scientists, educators, doctors, etc.

All of the Wilhelm Wundts, B. F. Skinners, Alfred Kinseys, Stephen Hawkings, Alexander Graham Bells, Pierre Simon de Laplaces, Francis Cricks, James Watsons, Ernst Mayrs, Noam Chomskys and so on.

There would still be the christian scientists but, in which direction do you think the society would go based upon the values and goals? Where would the atheist society go?

[/HYPOTHETICAL]

So, which one do you want to live in?

Personally with my curiosity about the universe and nature and my hatred for those who think they have a reason to stick their nose in other peoples business when it does not affect them in any way, I think I'd go with the atheists.

This post probably sounds hateful or spiteful but I'm trying to show my thought that without atheists in society it seems like it would turn into quite the strict camp.
edit on 12/2/2011 by xxblackoctoberxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Salem witch trials
Religions hold power over people; a good example is what scientologists do.
Mainstream religions don’t use that power at present, but given their history what is to stop a dangerous group like the church and vatican reinstating that control and reliving its history.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by xxblackoctoberxx

I would go to the atheist's side, let all the Religious folk do what they want with each other, (Just don't leave them any nuke's).
For to long Religion has enslaved people and I think it has held us back as a Specie.
(Note Iam not against being spiritual but spiritual people don't push their belief's on folk, Religion is man made)
So If I could wave a magic wand this would happen.
Great thread and idea my friend

edit on 2-12-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by xxblackoctoberxx

I would prefer the religious crowd myself,the athiests are
fun to play with though.
I wonder which country,island or continent they would take
over? In the U.S.,they are taking over pretty quickly,aclu...

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Hypothetically, I would not want to live in either of those societies.

"Society" implies a relationship amongst a group, a structured community of people, in which other peoples business affects other people inherently. It is characteristic for people to believe that they are rational, wise and knowing.
Some Christians are arrogant. Some atheists are arrogant. Some people some of the time are arrogant.
There will always be someone who thinks they know better and act better than others. It can not be avoided in any group of people.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I'd definitely go with my fellow atheists. I'm not interested in legislated morality. I believe in a secular government that doesn't use religion to dictate and control the behavior of the masses, Yeah, I'd rather live in a free and equal society, and I believe that without all the religious dogma against people who are different, we'd get along much better and live freer.

Atheists tend to mind their OWN business, whereas the religious are always telling other people how to live.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Honestly, i dont care the religion

I just wanna go with the people that wont shove ideas down my throat. Thats my pet peeve.

I love to listen and to learn, but the moment someone is insistent upon me, then im out.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I don't think there is such a place as a free and equal society.
Maybe in someones version of utopia,but not in real life.

I disagree with you about athiests' minding their own business....
A.C.L.U. ring a bell? They are always filing lawsuits against
christians.
edit on 2-12-2011 by mamabeth because: added

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
then , no smart people in the US .

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrNaM3nT
then , no smart people in the US .
\

quite the hardy laugh that one gave me.

And no comment other than that, gotta stay swiss

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
All the atheists would be more than welcome in Australia

IRM

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

No kidding.

My point is the only hope for a free and equal society would be one without religion. It would be one where people minded their own business and didn't judge their neighbor for being gay and raising children. The people wouldn't argue over whether or not Mary should get an abortion or Jack should marry his lifelong male partner. These choices would be up to the individual.

I'm sure any society would have issues to deal with, but at least people would be free to choose their own lives without others claiming, "You're going to hell"!

The OP made it VERY clear that this is a hypothetical situation.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
one religion , or no religion . you choose .

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
All the atheists would be more than welcome in Australia

IRM

Does Australia have a higher percentage of atheists IRM?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Atheist side for sure. I would way rather live in a society where government dictates and punishes crimes, with a victim, instead of objective morality.

Do you think this new religion-free nation would carry with them the same enemyship the States currently have with Muslim nations? Would it be a target for muslim extremists, or would that be intrinsically left behind when leaving Christianity behind? Would other nations respect our sovereignty and respect us as a peaceful country??

Furthermore, would you imagine most of the inhabitants of this atheist nation would carry with them the arrogant ideals of nation building and peace through war? If so, expect that no changes will last... remember how even the most reasonable of Americans went "let the Middle East burn" after 9/11?

I also think there would be a much more apparent divide in current America between the God-fearin' Christian Right and the rest of the christians. You know, the ones with the ability to think with their brains.

I feel bad for the America we leave behind, because there will always be people who get themselves into a real pickle and end up having an abortion, or are gay, and in a community of only Christians and most of the people who are currently here to advocate for them gone... well, those poor folks may end up with some lynchings.

*ETA: Maybe I'm overthinking this. Regardless, I would choose the Nogodland and figure things out from there
Could have left it at that.
edit on 2-12-2011 by ladykenzie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladykenzie

I feel bad for the America we leave behind, because there will always be people who get themselves into a real pickle and end up having an abortion, or are gay, and in a community of only Christians and most of the people who are currently here to advocate for them gone... well, those poor folks may end up with some lynchings.

exactly what i think! before too long im sure there would be a LOT of people that realized how much of a controlling internment camp it was
edit on 12/2/2011 by xxblackoctoberxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

There's quite a few of us here

IRM

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
i've considered moving to Australia for that fact alone!

top topics

join