It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intelligent Design is Dead

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Yes we have adapted we have adapted to be able to eat dairy product's
evolution.berkeley.edu...

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by radkrish
I don´t think anyone could prove a theory correct or wrong by limited means of human understanding.

Therefore, by logical extension, when human understanding is complete, it must be right?

We, as a species, ain't that dumb! We know what we know. And we know a lot.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Believe what you want OP, but I think there is a very happy medium between creationism, intelligent design, and evolution. Proving one, does not disprove the rest. I think the fact that we live in a reality where evolution works so perfectly, in itself, proves both intelligent design and creationism.
edit on 3-12-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by BagBing
We know what we know. And we know a lot.

You think dreams are real to until you wake up. We all only think we know, there is a big difference.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM

You think dreams are real to until you wake up. We all only think we know, there is a big difference.

Nonesense. We know what we know. It's factual. Not fantasy.

Interesting that you compared fact to 'dreams'. It's a telling difference in education.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

And let's not forget that it took the human brain 150,000 years to develop into what we have today. Creationists like to believe that humans have always been conscious beings, but there is a very real possibility that it isn't true.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Yup and the fact that we are a bit Neanderthal www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

YEAH MAN.. Pass the spliff

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

YEAH MAN.. Pass the spliff

Nonesense. We know what we know. It's factual. Not fantasy.

Interesting that you compared fact to 'dreams'. It's a telling difference in education.

Speak for yourself. I am happy where my mindset and beliefs have gotten me in my life. I hope you are happy with where you are to.

How about providing actually arguments? Ad Hominems and that sort of thing don't count.

"It's a telling difference in education." You know I have read a lot about evolution and believe it right?

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

Really? I mean really?

You compare fantasy vs fact? And expect to be taken seriously?

I'm coming from the real world... you from baby stories... And you expect equality? DREAM on

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Yes we have adapted we have adapted to be able to eat dairy product's
evolution.berkeley.edu...

That is true to a point. So many of us eat dairy products and have our whole lives that we don't know that we're being affected by it. I know myself because a while ago I dropped dairy products and aches and pains in my joints, which I identified as having started in my mid 30's as getting old, disapeared. I started dairy products again and they came back so now I've cut back on it because I can't give it up

But you're correct we can eat dairy products and it's an adaption. Like eating meat is as we're originally a herbivore but we've adapted so much that we actually need meat now. Our jaws grind food not chew as well.
edit on 3-12-2011 by steveknows because: Typo

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
This argument is easily settled.

All those that favour 'god did it' MUST stop consuming science. That means no health care, electicity, medicine, and every other mod-con that science has created.
To do otherwise is pure hypocrisy. Which in it self, is pure creationism.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by radkrish
I don´t think anyone could prove a theory correct or wrong by limited means of human understanding.

Therefore, by logical extension, when human understanding is complete, it must be right?

We, as a species, ain't that dumb! We know what we know. And we know a lot.

We know a lot but we don´t know much more than that too. Science is a tool to help us verify what we see hear and feel in this material Universe. Who knows what exists outside?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
S&F!

This development isn't surprising though given how easy it is to get information nowadays. We have proper science shows on TV, and thanks to the Internet, everyone can read up on evolution. Previously, it wasn't easy to get access to proper information...it's easy now

People are finally educating themselves and slowly logic/rationality trumps blind belief....FINALLY!!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Speak for yourself. I am happy where my mindset and beliefs have gotten me in my life. I hope you are happy with where you are to.

How about providing actually arguments? Ad Hominems and that sort of thing don't count.

"It's a telling difference in education." You know I have read a lot about evolution and believe it right?

I'm quite happy with my mindset and beliefs, in admitting I don't know what's beyond this universe or whether or not there is a god/creator, even though I sure am curious. I live my life based on what's here, not what might potentially be out there. If god gave a crap about this planet or cared about worship, he would have contacted us and set the record straight on which version of him is accurate (if any), which religion is correct, and it would be undeniable. Otherwise he is cruel beyond imagination if he actually expects people to worship him, without even demonstrating his existence, then judging them based on which religion they follow, when they are all equally ridiculous sounding. How is one to know which religion to follow? How is any more valid than another? Sending someone to hell because they grew up in a culture where a certain religion does not exist, is ridiculous and evil, certainly not benevolent. The fact that this hasn't happened besides allegedly in ancient texts, proves to me that god cannot possibly be as described in the bible. If there is a god, he is a non interfering god that has way too much to worry about besides this little tiny planet in the middle of this humungous universe. All powerful is instantly eliminated based on that, and the fact that he hasn't contacted us at all in modern times, yet was everywhere during biblical times shows it can't possibly be true. It's also very possible that ancient people encountered a more advanced civilization and thought they were gods, because they had never seen technology like that before. The fact of the matter is that god did not create man. Man created god.

It is an interesting theory saying that this is a dream or all just sensory perception, but scientific facts are scientific facts and they are consistent throughout all scientific fields of study. I'd think if this was a dream state or programmed reality, there would be scientific facts that would change or not be consistent, but they are true in this realm of reality. So whatever realm of reality we live in, it is absolute, in the way that the laws of physics do not change. To me this indicates a real physical reality. If there was evidence of a programmer or creator, I might consider it, but there's really not anything objective. It's always misrepresenting facts or the lack of ability to understand our universe in its complexity. People seem to think that gaps in knowledge automatically = god, but there's no reason to assume that at all.

edit on 5-12-2011 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

R. I. P.

And it seems my thread, too, is dead. Which seems to me to underline my point.

For three pages and a bit, we had creationists and ID supporters coming here to express their support for the idea of intelligent design. Well, of course there will always be those who believe in it. But only one ID supporter actually provided an argument against the actual claim being made, which is that the intelligent design movement is dead. I’m sorry to say it was an easily rebutted argument.

If the ID movement cannot even stir itself to try and prove it is alive, we can safely declare it dead.

edit on 8/12/11 by Astyanax because: of safety.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
The only honest, truthful answer to the question of "how did the universe begin" is "I don't know". Until both sides are willing to put away their towering egos and admit that, both sides will be wrong.

/TOA

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
The only honest, truthful answer to the question of "how did the universe begin" is "I don't know". Until both sides are willing to put away their towering egos and admit that, both sides will be wrong.

/TOA

Scientists actually admit that they don't know. They work on hypotheses, but they don't claim to know.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Scientists actually admit that they don't know. They work on hypotheses, but they don't claim to know.

In real life, it is usually philosophers of science rather than actual scientists who admit this. Most scientists of my acquaintance are only to happy to say ‘I know’ and leave the escape clauses and weasel words to the philosophers.

I think it’s okay, though. I think it’s okay for scientists (and lay folk, too) to say ‘I know’ about scientific subjects on which there is little substantive controversy. We know that Boyle’s law holds true. We know that relativity checks out experimentally, FTL neutrinos or no FTL neutrinos. We know that quantum phenomena are real. And we know that evolution occurs.

Uninformed people, clinging to patent falsehoods for psychological reasons, may disagree with us, and may even adduce valid philosophical objections to our claim to know anything at all, but when all the word-games are done with we know it all the same. We’re right about how the world is, and the believers are wrong.

It isn’t a question of towering egos, though it may seem like that to someone who cannot distinguish between the validity of arguments for one side or the other. But we who know, know we know what the unaware do not; and unlike the believers who claim the same thing, we can prove what we know; they cannot.

Therein lies the all-important difference.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I don't care about how life began millions of years ago; nor do I care how human beings developed from some sort of monkey-creature that itself developed from pond scum or whatever the case may be. Evolutionists and creationists are both equally boring to me.

A far more interesting topic, as well as a more worthwhile investment of researchers' energies, is the unseen world that exists all around us today. Anyone who isn't in denial of their senses knows that, regardless of your spiritual/religious beliefs, there is more to life than meets the eye. There are manipulative forces that are continuously at work--wrecking peoples' lives and even turning nations against one another, etc. and so forth.

Too much energy has been (and continues to be) wasted on the childish "God is real!" -- "No, ID is absurd!" argument. Humankind has nothing to gain by this silly debate.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join