It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-cigarettes banned in workplaces in Boston, and city prohibits sales to minors

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by BrianFlanders

my bad
i have heard this argument though, and I just kinda wanna cock my head to the side, and say, REALLY?? we'll say I meant the proverbial "you".

carry on

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Why should smokers have more privileges than other employees?

Some of the most unproductive people I've ever worked with were smokers. They were always outside, always puffing away when the work wasn't getting done.

If employers don't make concessions to those who like to drink, why should they do so for smokers?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by no special characters

Where I work, perfumes are forbidden because some people are actually allergic to them. Who knows if there are folks that are allergic to vapors as well?

If you folks want to turn this into a freedom issue, then you should support drinking on the job and sex on the job and any other privilege that employees should have.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by DJDigitalGem

From my understanding, glycol is also used to clean tanks in a brewing environment. Would you want to inhale that stuff?

I've also heard that certain e-cigs become too hot, causing burns to the mouth.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

Do some research. I don't want nicotine anywhere near my body if I have a choice. I also have asthma and it can be easily triggered by cigarette smoke on a bad day.

If you want something to counteract fluoride, get a reverse osmosis filtering system and kiss fluoride goodbye.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
e-cigs are a big scam for those trying to quit or trying to find a healthier alternative to smoking. i've never met anyone that quit smoking using this crap. how can you quit smoking when the addictive ingredient in cigs are nicotine and these e-cigs contain more nicotine than regular cigs? eventually, everyone that smokes these e-cigs will go back to smoking.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by BrianFlanders

I wouldn't call myself an anti-smoking nazi.

I'm fed up with selfish people that don't give a # that their little habit harms others. They blame the government, Obamacare and everything else but they should be blaming themselves for starting the habit in the first place.

I made the choice to start losing weight. A smoker can make the choice to stop smoking.

Stop making petty excuses and do it.

If you must have e-cigs, what's wrong with using them at home or on the street? Is that not enough?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

They are junkies, addicted to a matter. Take that matter away and they will rage.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Nicotine is an alkaloid found in the nightshade family of plants (Solanaceae)

Wiki

The family is also informally known as the nightshade - or potato family. The family includes Datura (Jimson weed), Mandragora (mandrake), Belladonna (deadly nightshade), Lycium barbarum (Wolfberry), Physalis philadelphica (Tomatillo) , Physalis peruviana (Cape gooseberry flower), Capsicum (paprika, chili pepper), Solanum (potato, tomato, eggplant),

Wiki

So what was it you saying about research
So you must be on quite a diet there if you don't want nicotine.

reply to post by Stryc9nine

So it's a scam because you live under a rock where it hasn't saved smokers yet? There's more than plenty of people who have quit. Just cause you don't know them doesn't mean anything in the real world.
In the end e-cig users are not going to go back to analogs. We have the nicotine we want and we do not want the toxic 3000 substances in analogs.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

i want to see scientific numbers rather than just telling about you and your alleged friends or people you know.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Im getting a pink ecig for christmas..cant wait to use it..I love smoking, but hate the way I smell..
Ive also tried the gums, etc..but I miss the burn from inhaling , same reason Im addicted to diet coke..thats next on my list to quit, but how the hell will I replace that one.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by godWhisperer

We should start a movement to stop the use of perfume!

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stryc9nine
e-cigs are a big scam for those trying to quit or trying to find a healthier alternative to smoking. i've never met anyone that quit smoking using this crap. how can you quit smoking when the addictive ingredient in cigs are nicotine and these e-cigs contain more nicotine than regular cigs? eventually, everyone that smokes these e-cigs will go back to smoking.

I tried all of the approved products to quit and to me all of them are The Big Scam.. some are even known to Kill and cause to kill, yet they are still on the market. You just really have no idea what your talking about.

In order for the FDA to approve any drug, all the NRT's therapies included, they have to show that it can do only one thing and that is work at least as good as placebo. Thats it, thats The criteria. None of those products worked.

But the e-cig does work because it gives me everything I love about the idea of smoking without all the harm. Thats why studies are coming out that show e-cigs have at least a 50% higher success rate than FDA approved NRT's.

A very small percent of people who use e-cigs on a regular basis ever go back to smoking regular cigarettes. Thats like saying here, have a slice of cake. You can choose this nice chocolate cake with sprinkles on top or this other slice that looks the same but has rat poison in it. Once people get used to e-cigs, they don't want to put that other crap back into their bodies.

Yes, they do have nicotine but all people who use nicotine products are not smokers. E-cigs have a milder form of nicotine than regular cigarettes that is only mildly addictive and not harmful to the body, unlike cigarettes, that has very strong addictive nicotine and with all the other chemicals and combustible materials equals smoke full of death. Plus you can choose to use as much or as little nicotine as you like. Most people use the strength equal to a light cigarette for recreational use, and for those trying to wean themselves off of nicotine they gradually go down in strength to zero nicotine. This is very easily done because the nicotine does not give you bad cravings like cutting down on cigarettes with very little other side effects.

Your comments are just silly and not based on any research or facts.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stryc9nine
reply to post by PsykoOps

i want to see scientific numbers rather than just telling about you and your alleged friends or people you know.

Go read through the health sections at www.e-cigarette-forum.com... and casaa.org...

There are Really tons of scientific papers on this subject that prove " the Numbers". They can be easily found all over the net.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

Originally posted by PsykoOps
This is cigarette industrys worst nightmare pretty much. Those guys have made billions from selling their cancer rolls. Now there is an alternative that delivers the nicotine in a better format and they didn't get to patent it first. So there's the reason why there is a huge resistance to this.

Then jump on the band wagon, start selling their own brand of e cigs, or their own flavors of juice..

Break into the juice market and start doing research, they could make tons of money.....

Adapt to change, you cant stop it............

Here is a poll I started to ask e-cig users just that question.. Would they buy an e-cig from the Big Tobacco companies if they sold one..60 % of people so far said No.

www.e-cigarette-forum.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Given that the UK Gov has turned to support E-Cigs and there use.. I am really hopeful we'll get some pretty comprehensive research done that is not already tainted with a negative bias.. A report to the UKs Gov by a governmental committee suggest a move to E-Cigs could save 10s of thousands of lives in the UK alone.. So i am really hopeful this move will help change the negative attitudes towards E-Cigs

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
ive smoked the majority of my life and ill continue smoking no matter what silly ban they come up with ,

people have just become to gully , specially city folks , thats where the hypocrisy bubbles the most ,

open your window take a deep breath of air
or better yet go outside and stand near a road

congrats youve just inhaled more toxins then any cigarette will give you ,
with luck your body might even be able to process the toxins ,

besides it must be a F,.inn miracle generations before us even managed to live when everyone smoked let alone didnt have the time to complain about smoking , , wonder how they managed that.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
All governments love exactly two things. Taxes and power. They dont love people. We made quick estimates of the impact of e-cigs in Finland and came around direct loss of 30 million € next year in lost cigarette taxes. They just raised the taxes hoping to gather additional 50 million €. We're costing them money hence we are the enemy. This estimate doesn't even include effects of prolonged life expectancy which is even higher.

I havn't read through the whole thread.

But after reading the OP, the above post came to mind in regards to demonising the E-Cig.

The Goverments and the Big Tobacco companies, who are both in each others pockets, are going to end up losing a lot of money, if the majority of smokers decide to move onto the E-Cig. Then Big pharma starts losing out because smokers will start to become healthier and live longer.

Follow the money, as many of you say on here

edit on 9-12-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DJDigitalGem

Both my wife and myself are ex-30 year plus smokers.

We discovered 'vaping' (the term used for using e-cigs) just over 7 months ago, and neither of us have touched a cigarette since.

I cannot even stand the smell of cigarettes now, and will actually cross the street to avoid walking behind someone who is smoking...and that's coming from someone who smoked strong pouch tobacco and the occasional cigar for over 30 years remember!

It's actually not a 'give up smoking' device, it's basically an alternative 'nicotine delivery system', that happens to be far more pleasurable, far more effective and far more of an interest based nicotine delivery system that cigarettes, nicotine patches, anti-smoking pharmaceuticals (anyone seeing the reason to ban yet?!) could eve hope to be.

In the past i've used various other nicotine replacement devices and methods, including the patches, the pills, the plastic fake pipe/cigarette thing, the cold turkey method...all of it, and none of it worked in reducing my desire to smoke, which i reluctantly returned to as my primary nicotine delivery method.

Then i discovered the wonderful and diverse world of E-Cigs and E-Liquid.

Night and day folks, night and day.

It was like a revelation, like literally a breath of fresh air...albeit a caramel, toffee, cotton candy - tobacco flavoured fresh air!

There is such a wide range of both devices or 'mods' as they're called by vapers, and accessories to choose from, it's staggering and this is increasing on a daily basis as the industry is at the point where innovation is being driven to a large extent by the vapers ourselves, who are an army of worldwide garden shed and garage hobby machinists, designers and modifiers of existing products available.

We have our own popular forums where help and advice is freely given and design and improvement ideas are exchanged for the benefit of all....NO copyright or patent rubbish is there to prevent us from exercising our creativity and the technology is moving on in huge leaps and bounds at an astonishing rate of speed.

And as for the options available where E-Liquid is concerned...it's truly amazing.

There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of different flavours and strength combinations available to choose from.

The majority of which are not tobacco replications, but really just about every flavour you can think of...toffee, coffee, cappuccino, mocha, mint chocolate, orange chocolate, strawberry, blueberry, (all the fruits i can think of as it goes!) caramel, vanilla, whiskey cream, and of course tobacco flavours and tobacco mixed flavours...there's even chilli flavour, roast beef, chicken, cheese (yeah, i know!), vitamin C, vitamin D etc., there's almost a limitless choice available...like never before with cigarettes.

There's even a 'male enhancement' flavour (yes, you're thinking of the right thing!)...then there's the nicotine strengths...either ZERO nicotine, or any mg strength (per ml) you want up to a maximun of around 36mg/ml (Very strong, normal strength is 12 - 24mg/ml, but we're all as different as we are similar).

I LOVE E-cigs and vaping, and it is my absolutely preferred nicotine delivery methods for the flavours, the cleanliness of the experience, the fact that i'm no longer poisoning my family or myself with second hand smoke and it's thousands of toxic and cancer causing chemicals (still not seeing a reason for a ban?), the choice of equipment, the social side (NEVER had a forum for smoking tobacco!), it's much healthier for all concerned and helps the economy as a bonus!

The ONLY valid reason to restrict use or sales of E-Cigs and E-liquid would be regarding minors from using them, which in the case of E-Liquid containing Nicotine, i'd agree with.

However, not all E-Liquid contains Nicotine, and Nicotine in itself is NOT harmful to human life or physiology.
In fact, this is borne out by the fact that doctors around the world, are now actually prescribing Nicotine based Pharmaceuticals TO kids as a way to tackle obesity, as Nicotine is an appetite suppressant.

The other reason to ban these wonderful devices and accessories is corporate money and the fear of losing some of it. Pharmaceutical corporations are the lobbying force behind the drive to ban E-Cigs in favour of their own very expensive and very ineffectual 'give up smoking' crap like patches and so on.

If all the smokers who switch from smoking to vaping didn't get so many cancers, heart diseases, and all the other negatives that go hand in hand with smoking, big pharma stands to lose billions..and they know it too, hence the effort to deny smokers a MUCH safer, much more environmentally and socially friendly, and vastly superior nicotine delivery system than any other on the market to date period.

Another example of corporate greed over adult human health, choice and freedoms.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

Both governments and tobacco corporations are really missing a HUGE revenue making opportunity if they ignore the profit potential of E-Cigs.

There are a lot less steps involved in extracting the Nicotine from tobacco plantations and adding that to a flavoured liquid than there is involved with making cigarettes.

Costs would be significantly cheaper for tobacco companies who would make an absolute fortune if they were a pioneering force behind the E-cig industry.

The tax situation (and savings spent on healthcare for people injured by smoking) would improve for governments if the majority of smokers switched from smoking to vaping. Much more attractive financial proposition that if those same smokers simply quit nicotine, that's for sure.

People would be more productive, requiring less beaks at work.

Pharma corporations could get in on the act too, they could be involved with the E-Liquid production side of the industry and make an honest buck for a change...they'd make a fortune.

Banning something only drives it underground, and is totally incomprehensible and undefendable when it is obvious it is financially motivated and not health motivated, which is the case with E-Cigs and E-Liquid.

I for one will be ignoring any ban and will continue to vape as it is my nicotine delivery of choice, regardless of what some money grabbing, bribed up government shill bans or not.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join