It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-cigarettes banned in workplaces in Boston, and city prohibits sales to minors

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I am wondering if nicotine counteracts fluoride and helps people think more freely?

I have to wonder, the government seems hell bent on ending nicotine in the mainstream. They do not care for our health or they would be more proactive in getting corporations under control.

They will not let a company promote that there food is GMO free but they are going to ban E-cigs from the workplace?

Something not only does not add up, it seems to lean towards something wicked.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I used to sell e-cigs online and I wrote a research paper about them.

It is a much better alternative to regular cigarettes, especially ones that use a safe vapor mixture. Nicotine by itself is addictive, but alone it really isn't that bad for your health relative to traditional cigarettes(do your research, on BOTH sides of this argument before you flame me, there is a lot of nicotine propaganda from self righteous fools who want to influence others not to smoke cigs even though cig smokers already know it's bad, so they exaggerate information). It's all the tar from combustion and what not, that makes regular cigarettes so terrible for you.

Speaking of that, ironically now I really want a cig, and therefore I'm gonna smoke one. I move to ban all topics about cigarettes because reading about them is not good for me lol.. K, time for a cig.

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
I am wondering if nicotine counteracts fluoride and helps people think more freely?

I actually think about that sometimes! Nicotine is a very mild psychoactive, it is classified as a stimulant because it does indeed activate parts of the brain.

Cigs smokers in my opinion are often people who don't care about being judged and don't have much fear of death. Not saying you have to be a cig smoker to hold those views, but it does make sense that people like that make up a higher percentage of cig smokers than the average population.

Most hardcore-anti-smokers just think we are all complete idiots, because they only see things from one perspective. Oh well.
edit on 2-12-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Pixiefyre

I bet you were seeing red with her whole attitude about how she can polish her nails if she wants and this and that and blah blah. I'm a smoker but yeah, that reminds me of a very small few smokers who'd not care and just tell those it bothered to leave the area. I don't get people at times. And to think you even got it documented and the work STILL didn't care.

Shoulda gone to a lawyer or something. For real. Ignorance like that just seems... prejudiced if that's the right word. Oh we'll ban smoking cuz it /can/ kill people but in your case where you WILL die 100% from polish et al, nah we won't ban that.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Wifabif

I completely agree.
The gentleman that owns the discount tobacco store where I used to buy my cigs has begun selling e-cigs and all of the acoutrements. He is very well informed about the product and carries several different models.
I believe he is a wise man.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

The vapor doesnt reach anyone, and you can smoke in the hospitals and on planes, they are not a hazard to anyone and are relatively safe for the user as well. My doctor approved of them and I was going to buy it, at the time, but shortly after Canada, banned them. Which is outrageous, they are darth vaders crew.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
They should lift the ban on tobacco cigarettes in the workplace.Tobacco produces a euphoric sense of well being and increases energy.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
A couple of years ago when I first started with the e-cig I asked at work if I could use it on the shop floor. The management debated it and said no, the reason being others, especially visitors/truck drivers might see me using it, assume smoking was allowed and light up a real cig.
I also know a lot of pubs and suchlike prohibit them because if they see someone using them they are duty bound to go over and check it's not tobacco, thus wasting employees/bar staff time.
Maybe there's an element of this thinking in these workplace bans.
PS I would recommend e-cigs to any smoker, especially if they DON'T want to quit. At least give it a try.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ENGLISH BOB

See, I think it's so funny because you can smell a real cigarette the SECOND it has been lit! Heck, when someone comes in from outside, you can follow their trail almost to the step and feel like a trusty bloodhound. Before I come off as one of those snooty fake-coughing, fake tear, arm waving soapbox drama queens (who polish their nails in the office
) I do have to say it didn't bug me, nor did I know that the cigarette smell didn't disappear after 15 minutes of mingling in normal air... until I switched over to electronic. Now I can tell if someone was smoking on a corner 30 minutes earlier (or was it 35?... sniff sniff... yeah, 35), but they taste totally different too, and not as tasty.

I've heard that was the same reason many will ask you to put them away on planes (basically if someone complains, but you can just use the bathroom - less steam than coffee, and won't set off detectors) But something tells me a bartender would be sharp enough to realize when one was lit, and I'd hope that sheeple wouldn't zap back to 1961 and think, oh! they must have lifted the indoor-and-anywhere-within-10-feet-of-somewhere-indoors smoking ban! If everybody was informed (educated?) on what the vapor is that's coming out of the new-fangled laser stick, they'd know that electronic allowed, fire not, and maybe make some changes in their own life that would end up benefiting their families, teeth, car depreciation values, lungs, and the poor chap involuntarily smoking your leftovers next to you.

(I did get my first head shake from an old man at an intersection in my car though... the kind of closed eye, disappointed and disgusted shake that comes with a telepathic lecture that you somehow know every word of telepathically. I think he thought that my rolled up windows meant it was greener than tobacco. Man needs some education.)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
We're struggling in Finland with the local paper pushers because they've made it their mission to ban e-cigs. They are now trying to claim that these fall under cigarette laws because they imitate cigarettes. These kind of hipocrite byroucrats deserve a painfull and slow nicotine overdoze death imho. They actually claim that these can be dangerous because there is same compound that is used in anti-freeze products in them etc. So water must be so deadly too then cause it is found in most anti-freeze products too. Also they cleverly say there is no studies to this etc. even thought there is more than plenty and PG/VG and the flavoure ingridients are all well known and tested for decades.
I smoked for 24 years and last years I was a chainsmoker before I got my 18650 over a month ago. Haven't even thought about smoking an analog after that. This is by any measure the better choice.

Originally posted by Maslo
Well, the vapour does still contain nicotine. Imagine if someone you work with smoked these all the time in the workplace, maybe you would get a significant dose of nicotine, too.

Even in the worst case scenario someone 2nd hand would get a dose of 1/100th of what the user of an e-cig gets. So that's basically none.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
We're struggling in Finland with the local paper pushers because they've made it their mission to ban e-cigs. They are now trying to claim that these fall under cigarette laws because they imitate cigarettes

They should ban pixie sticks from middle schools, because they imitate coc aine when kids snort them.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
for starters....boston is a #hole city with a major attitude problem....the people there are rude.....second...this whole non-smoking crap has been pushed too far....i'm sick of being told where i can and can't smoke...the anti-smoking nazis are getting more and more out of line, everytime i turn around....i've been smoking for close to 30 years, and i'll be damned if i'm going to let some punk-ass moron tell me i can't smoke...what's next...are they going to ban farting in public?? what about sneezing or coughing or belching??? # them...time to light up

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Tobacco is the best product .It makes me feel great.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
E- Cigs are vaporisers.
They are not new.
Eagle Bill (R.I.P.) Introduced herbal vaoprization in Holland back in the early 1990s
Tobacco molds, and the cheapest, easiest way to avoid storage issued is to use an extract.

E Cigs use propylene glycol mixed with nicotine extract and a very low temp heating element to cause the PG to emit essential oil vapors.

They are no more dangerous than a cig. They contain nicotine, and are addictive just like cigs.

They are alot easier on the lungs than inhaling smoke, but that's it.
They are NOT a safe alternative.
Google nicotine effects, then google propylene glycol.
PG is a wetting agent, similar to anti freeze, and commonly used in humidors to keep the moisture content of the wood at proper levels.

IMHO, they SHOULD NOT be sold to minors.
The nicotine addition is still present.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I'm Against banning e-cigs in the workplace.

Nicotine usage in it's natural form ( the form used in e-cigs) has been shown to make people smarter and more productive. It works for burning tobacco cigarettes too to a degree but that nicotine is tainted with poisons from the other combustibles and carcinogens. Nicotine use has been shown to stimulate productivity and memory - for the common user. Once a person quits all nicotine use, this helpful benefit goes away.

here is one example www.correntewire.com...

Google it, you'll find lots of studies like this to back this up.

Sure, ban the use of burning carcinogenic tobacco in the workplace but not e-cigs. E-cigs pose no health threat for second hand smoke or harm to the user and may just keep the worker more productive where as stopping nicotine use very well will cause the worker to be less productive. It's the stupidest thing they can do.

If your a smoker, not only will switching to e-cigs be a smart health choice but it will keep you from getting dumber ! LOL

I want to add that research has proven that the untainted nicotine used in e-cigs is only very mildly addictive, unlike the nicotine found in burning tobacco. Furthermore scientific studies can find no evidence that the risks from using this nicotine are any greater than that say of caffeine use. ( they choose the word caffeine not I) I can find and link to those studies if need be but it's all over the net.

Teens should use e-cigs.

I agree with not selling to minors. I also believe that all teenage smokers who are addicted to nicotine should be allowed to use e-cigs ( even if they cannot buy them themselves.) The not selling of the e-cigs to minors acts as a deterrent which is fine but teens who start smoking early need to have the ability to use an e-cig for their own health instead of continuing to inhale burning tobacco. Especially since the nicotine usage itself is proven as safe as drinking coffee and is not as addictive as it is in cigarettes. These kids need e-cigs the most before too much harm from smoking is done.
edit on 2-12-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Besides the effects of nicotine (which studies have shown is bad for your heart and circulatory system) the E-cigs are a MUCH safer alternative to regular cigarettes. Plus once you blow out the vapor (not smoke) it dissipates rather quickly and leaves absolutely no scent even if you are next to the person "smoking" them. I seriously doubt there are any noticeable second hand effects and if there are any it will be minimal. Standing next to a car exhaust waiting for green light to turn red will for one minute would probably do 5 times (made up number hehe) much more damage to your health than someone sitting next to your cubicle inhaling e-cigs for a whole day. Something that I noticed about Ecigs (I tried them before) is that you don't need that many inhales to get your fix.
edit on 2-12-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Good point, Bad Ninja.

There are a number of new chemicals that have been utilized to provide the "vapor" within an ecigarette, the compound you listed above is commonly used in antifreeze.

(Qualifier - I was a smoker for 10 years. I quit thanks to sheer willpower/stubborness and a little Nicorette when i was ready to seriously attack somebody)

At my work, we have to go through an extensive annual medical exam. We work in hazardous environments daily. One of my direct reports got his blood work back, and his kidney levels were in " a state of severe distress". After a followup visit with the facility doctor, they concluded it was his ecigarettes he was smoking. The new chemical cocktail they've devised is pretty much unknown. But the one thing that is known, is that they put the kidneys under intense strain. The doctor (who's lone job it was at this facility was to review blood/urine work) said he's seeing it more and more amongst Ecig users, but doesnt know what it's from.

Long story short, he ended up going back to regular cigarettes because he got freaked out, lol. But the point of my story is that these things are not the holy grail in terms of quitting. You're still putting $hit into your body and burning money doing so. Better alternative? Absolutely.

But keep in mind, everyone has the willpower to quit. If your mother was in a room and someone was holding a gun to her head and said "If you smoke, Im going to shoot her", wouldnt you have the willpower to not smoke? After one hour? After 2 days? Or would you on the 3rd go "Ah, #$%@ it!!!"

It's a b!tch, there's no doubt. But once you make it, the relief is immense.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

At least not as bad as here in Norway.. Here they banned it fully so you cant even import it for personal use.
The so called reasoning is that there is no evidence that it will make more people quit or that it is healthier which is of course bull.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dtrock78
Good point, Bad Ninja.

There are a number of new chemicals that have been utilized to provide the "vapor" within an ecigarette, the compound you listed above is commonly used in antifreeze.

(Qualifier - I was a smoker for 10 years. I quit thanks to sheer willpower/stubborness and a little Nicorette when i was ready to seriously attack somebody)

At my work, we have to go through an extensive annual medical exam. We work in hazardous environments daily. One of my direct reports got his blood work back, and his kidney levels were in " a state of severe distress". After a followup visit with the facility doctor, they concluded it was his ecigarettes he was smoking. The new chemical cocktail they've devised is pretty much unknown. But the one thing that is known, is that they put the kidneys under intense strain. The doctor (who's lone job it was at this facility was to review blood/urine work) said he's seeing it more and more amongst Ecig users, but doesnt know what it's from.

Long story short, he ended up going back to regular cigarettes because he got freaked out, lol. But the point of my story is that these things are not the holy grail in terms of quitting. You're still putting $hit into your body and burning money doing so. Better alternative? Absolutely.

But keep in mind, everyone has the willpower to quit.

I find some things you say strange and incorrect.

Do some real research. The chemical used in antifreeze that's harmful is diethylene glycol. Propylene glycol is now added to antifreeze instead of diethylene glycol to make it safer. Propylene glycol has been studied and approved for years for inhalation to treat breathing problems and is found in tons of OTC medications and food products, cosmetics etc. Propylene glycol is used in e-cigs not diethylene glycol. Diethylene glycol can be formed however in trace amounts naturally in nicotine. The FDA found trace amounts of this in only 2 out of 18 e-liquid samples tested and at levels that are considered safe for human consumption. The study shows that even the FDA approved nicotine replacement therapies has these same trace amounts of diethylene glycol found in them.

This new chemical cocktail is pretty much unknown? Not true. Nothing could in fact be further from the truth. We know exactly what all the chemicals are that make up e-liquid are. In fact, I mix my own with only 4. Liquid nicotine, propylene glycol (PG), vegetable glycerin (VG) and FDA approved flavorings. Both PG and VG have have been studied for years and are considered benign and safe for inhalation. They even have antibacterial properties.

You state that you work in a known "hazardous environments" area, yes the companies doctors choose to cite the e-cigs as the cause of this mans problems? This sounds very suspect to me. Of course the companies doctors are not going to find fault with the hazardous environments you work around. Since the e-cigs world wide availability in 2004 not one serious illness or death has been proven linked to e-cig usage. Thousands of other e-cig users do get blood work done on a regular basis. Study the e-cig forums where this information is presented. Such a link from use of e-cigs to these types of problems is unheard of. Doctors who have seen the benefits from patients who use e-cigs have studied these pros and cons and heartily recommend use of e-cigs.They have not found what your company doctor [you say] claims.

No. not everyone has the willpower or desire to quit smoking. Many of us have tried and could never stay quit until we tried e-cigs. Many of us do not want to stop smoking. We love smoking just as much as we love drinking our coffee or eating our fried chicken dinners. It is a pleasure, and a right we deserve. What we don't like is the harm that inhaling burning tobacco with all it's over 4000 chemicals, combustibles, carcinogens ( cancer causing agents) brings to our bodies.

Nicotine use by itself without the combustibles and carcinogens of burning tobacco has not been proven to cause or contribute to heart or lung disease, no more than caffeine does. Nicotine may technically be a vascular constrictor but this word is thrown around as a scare tactic by anti nicotine proponents. There is no scientific research that shows use of a pure untainted form of nicotine causes these problems - and studies have been done world wide for many years. Researchers in countries where nicotine use is popular by non burning methods (snus) have concluded that nicotine does not contribute to these health problems. It is the smoke in cigarettes that cause these problems.

E-cigs have an effective quit smoking success rate of over 50 % compared to FDA approved NRT's (5 to 7 % success rate after 6 months) without the adverse effects like some (Chantix - death, brain damage) I'd say that's pretty much a holy grail.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by no special characters
Are they also gonna prohibit wearing strong perfumes because to me it seems they also produce a lot of vapors.

Knowing the gov rats I guess not.

Pretty soon they'll be outlawing anything that anyone finds offensive.

We'll all be eating Tofu and bean sprouts and doing our federally mandated 2 hours of Yoga.

And wearing carbon filtered underwear in case we fart.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJDigitalGem
I know many people that switched to these in the past year and I am considering making the switch as well. I don't see any reason for them to not be used in workplaces, restaurants, bars etc since.... Get this..... There is no actual "smoke"!!!! The main chemical compounds are: Propylene Glycol (or Vegetable Glycol), Nicotine, some natural flavor or another, and water.

The government is pissed that they aren't going to be able to make another fortune off these things so it's time to declare them "bad". The only thing "bad" is the Nicotine and since that's going in to my body and not anyone else's, who am I hurting other than myself?

They can't get rich so get rid of it. That's the way the US government operates.....

SOURCE
Now this is such a true statement...I really didn't...think that they were a danger to anyone, I thought they were a vapor....Yes the government probably isn't really happy about this...Soon our freedom will be totally gone..Thats the way it looks..Then behind close doors the government will be doing all the things they took away from us...LOL

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join