It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where does the bible explicitly describe an afterlife?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
First off, let's not get derailed from my original question and trigger another digital holy war. To be fair, some of my closest friends are Christian and they're pretty awesome people

Now, I believe the bible is partially true in an allegorical sense. Subtract all the supernatural stuff and the orthodox perception of Heaven and Hell and I think there's something behind it. Can Heaven be a utopian state of Earth and is Hell a global holocaust? Is the Book of Revelation nothing more than self-fulfilling prophecy that programs Christians to react a certain way when triggered by a sign of the "End Times"?

Discuss.
edit on 12/2/2011 by BirdOfillOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I think that heaven and hell are meant to be metaphorical states of consciousness.
2nd line

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Jesus said "I go to prepare a place for you, that where I am you may be, also." and "In My Father's house are many mansions. If it were not so, I would have told you." or something to that effect. Heaven is a real, physical place. The resurrection showed us that we will have bodies that live forever, and we will be in that heaven.

You will find a lot of this information in the four gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John in the words of Jesus. It's good reading. I suggest you begin with John, as it is best at expressing the love of God for mankind. Luke, being a physician, is more technical and addresses the miracles of healing, etc. There are gospel summaries to assist you in your search for the truth.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Jim Scott

Heaven can not be a physical place...

The spirit is not physical...

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

Jesus Christ told us that in His Father's Kingdom we will be like the Angels and there will be no more need to marry or anything like that. Revelations describes a new Heaven and A New Earth. So we will be however the Angels are now and we shall live in an earth that is different to this one. I got a good idea what He means.

It will not be material and physical like this world; how could it be? All that is in the physical universe constantly decays and changes form, yet never can disappear. Matter cannot disappear, it can only change. In death we cannot just disappear - we change! Simple. It is the Good News of what The Mighty Lord offers us. I believe Christ. He pulled no punches, He told it how it was and I know that if it were not so He would have told us so.

I am looking forward to His Father's Kingdom very much. This earth and the way people are is very corrupt and miserable and growing more so by the day!!!
edit on 2-12-2011 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Well that is a misconception. In real christianity you don't go to heaven until Jesus comes back for round two. Papias of Hierapolis described heaven as being in different sections Heaven, paradise and the city.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
You may have missed the point of Jesus resurrecting in a physical body that could be touched by Thomas. We will likewise have a physical body that can be touched, not a spiritual ethereal body. We will be able to go through walls, etc. in that physical body, as He did.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Not sure why the OP would subtract all that supernatural and miraculous "stuff" in the Bible. It is just as true as the rest of it. The purpose of the miracles was to show the local people that He was God.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott
You may have missed the point of Jesus resurrecting in a physical body that could be touched by Thomas. We will likewise have a physical body that can be touched, not a spiritual ethereal body. We will be able to go through walls, etc. in that physical body, as He did.

Considering Jesus was the only person to have his "physical body" resurected... ever! Which happened to show the world there is life beyond death... shown by the "son of God"

I believe you are wrong...

Thomas also called him God....which was Incorrect.

edit on 2-12-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

There are 25 Pages of verses in the Bible describing Heaven as a place above the earth. It is mostly linked to the Cosmos in general. As you follow the trail, you see that the planet is consummated in marriage in the end, then renewed. This process of birth, development and renewal is the same for all life and all of creation. One aspect is a mirror for the next.

Follow the process from the union of husband and wife in love and you see the same union beyond this. The earth is the next womb. We are to find union with God in love. Once our soul gains union with God in love, it is consummated and we transcend the material realm. The earth will follow this cycle and then begin a new chapter and age. Every seven thousand years is a new cycle. One generation of years is approx. 70 years. The processional cycle of earth around the galaxy is roughly 26000 years, divided by 360 gives you a generation. There are 100 generations of humans in a week for the earth. Every 72 years, there is one degree of shift in the axis pole of the earth. 26000 / 360 is 72.2222.

Jesus said, you must be born again. This is the process. We are getting ready to enter a day of rest for mankind. This is the preparation for what comes next. All things are revealed. The only way to understand this is to understand Jubilee laws. Redemption is necessary to escape the debt caused from a week of life. We are bondservants to the process. The afterlife requires that debts be forgiven. If you have not served life, you are served eternal separation from the light. Light is what allows the image to transcend the reality it currently resides in.

To serve life, you must find the message life carries. Love is the law that allows all of this to take place. Love God and love others. We either serve the greater good by giving or we serve ourselves by taking. This is the example set by the universe. It can only give. To make our processional through this wilderness, we must learn to give by the example set into nature. Heaven is a continuation of life from one realm to the next. Hell is a descent from the process.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Can Heaven be a utopian state of Earth and is Hell a global holocaust?
This could quite be true.
The problem to me is that too many people calling themselves Christian are hoping for hell, imagining that for some reason it will only happen to other people.
I believe that true Christians would hope for the first thing you mentioned.
You could think of Jesus saying, "Here are your choices, believe in me and live, or not believe me and go into self destruction and die."
It should be obvious to an objective observer that those people claiming to be Christian but hoping for an apocalypse have taken the second choice because they have no love for their fellow man.

edit on 2-12-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Considering Jesus was the only person to have his "physical body" resurected... ever!

A bunch of people were resurrected when Jesus rose from the dead, and I was resurrected, myself, so I know first hand that people are raised from the dead.
I have a physical body, just like Lazarus did, when he was raised from the dead.

No, that was correct.
God rules by proxy, meaning He has someone who represents Him, here on Earth, so that it is allowed to call him god, since as he said, "The Father and I are one." meaning they are united in that he is the visible representation of who God is.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Is the Book of Revelation nothing more than self-fulfilling prophecy that programs Christians to react a certain way when triggered by a sign of the "End Times"?

Why would Muslims and Jews be working towards self-fufilling Christian end times prophecies?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I like how everyone ignored my simple explanation and went on to ramble incessant bull#.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
reply to post by Akragon

Considering Jesus was the only person to have his "physical body" resurected... ever!

A bunch of people were resurrected when Jesus rose from the dead, and I was resurrected, myself, so I know first hand that people are raised from the dead.
I have a physical body, just like Lazarus did, when he was raised from the dead.

No, that was correct.
God rules by proxy, meaning He has someone who represents Him, here on Earth, so that it is allowed to call him god, since as he said, "The Father and I are one." meaning they are united in that he is the visible representation of who God is.

right i forgot about Lazarus...

I've been through this far too many times on these forums... Call him God if you like... i will not.

Theres only one God, His father... who is greater then him.

The ONE who is greater then Jesus i call God... Not his son or any representation of God.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Where this becomes important is when you think about who God is.
A lot of people would tell you, YHWH, as in the genocidal dude with the fire and hell.
You could say no, Jesus said he was the I Am, which is supposedly an interpretation of YHWH, and he was what Jesus is now, a representative, and not the actual God he was working for.
So making Jesus the new YHWH, is removing God from the homicidal mythology.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Christ resurrected bodily from the tomb.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
reply to post by Akragon

Where this becomes important is when you think about who God is.
A lot of people would tell you, YHWH, as in the genocidal dude with the fire and hell.
You could say no, Jesus said he was the I Am, which is supposedly an interpretation of YHWH, and he was what Jesus is now, a representative, and not the actual God he was working for.
So making Jesus the new YHWH, is removing God from the homicidal mythology.

This is where my own personal beliefs come into play...

I don't believe the OT God(s) are the same as the Father of Jesus... An unchanging God seemed to change his ways once Jesus was able to preach. He taught the God of Love, the OT did not... quite the opposite as a matter of fact.

I think the "homicidal mythology" of OT God had nothing to do with the one true God... so nothing needs to be removed, just realized.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

I know that... or so it reads.

The body is just meat my friend, the abode of the spirit can not be a physical place. Or we would have no bodies in the graves all over the world.

The body dies, the spirit does not...

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

I know that... or so it reads.

The body is just meat my friend, the abode of the spirit can not be a physical place. Or we would have no bodies in the graves all over the world.

The body dies, the spirit does not...

What does "resurrect" mean to you?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join