It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate passes defense bill with detainee policy compromise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Senate passes defense bill with detainee policy compromise

www.cnn.com

Washington (CNN) -- The Senate on Thursday passed a giant defense bill that includes a new policy for detaining and trying suspected al Qaeda terrorists -- a policy that attracted controversy during the debate and may draw a presidential veto.

The defense authorization bill passed by a vote of 93-7.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Well, America is now dead.
You me and everyone else lived to see the end of America and our freedoms. It is over.

93 to 7?
Those banks have enough money to buy 93 of 'em and that's more than enough. I suppose they left the other 7 alone in order to make it seem more plausible.

For some reason I was hoping that this wouldn't pass though deep down inside I knew it would.

How much worse could it possibly get?
I'm sure this is the end of the stripping away of our freedoms and the gang raping of our constitution right?
RIGHT?

lol,
Yeah right.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1-12-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I'm confused.

Is this the same bill? Or what is rand paul talking about here?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

It seems that Paul may be tooting his own horn a bit much.

Senators ultimately reached an agreement to amend the bill to make clear it's not the bill's intent to allow for the indefinite detention of U.S. citizens and others legally residing in the country.

"It would provide the assurance that we are not adversely affecting the rights of American citizens in this language," Levin said while expressing support for the compromise.

"It supports present law," Feinstein added.

www.cnn.com...
The language was clarified but apparently the armed forces are still required to deal with the bums.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
"Senators ultimately reached an agreement to amend the bill to make clear it's not the bill's intent to allow for the indefinite detention of U.S. citizens and others legally residing in the country."

What was the actual amendment to the bill? I can go on and say that we wont hold you indefinitely but... hey... we will hold you for 99 years and THEN we will hand you over to your local law enforcement. Am I wrong in this assessment?

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ApolloBloodline

There was no amendment to the current amendment. They agreed to amend the amendment.
In other words, it ain't over.

I think.

edit on 12/2/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
F** Ya it is time! Lets all go outside and inhale some of the fresh chemtrails to make this process less painful, hey -raised levels of aluminum and then we wont even remember this when we all have Alzheimers

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed

Well, America is now dead.
You me and everyone else lived to see the end of America and our freedoms. It is over.

No America is not dead and it isn't over. You do understand how the Legislative process works correct? Since there are versions of the same bill in both Houses, they now must reconcile the two. The House version from my research -- but please do not take my word for the gospel -- doesn't seem to have the language that everyone is up in arms about.

This means that either the House must change their bill to have the same language as the Senate or vice-versa.

I am still reading up on H.R. 1540 though to make sure there is no such language.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ApolloBloodline
"Senators ultimately reached an agreement to amend the bill to make clear it's not the bill's intent to allow for the indefinite detention of U.S. citizens and others legally residing in the country."

What was the actual amendment to the bill? I can go on and say that we wont hold you indefinitely but... hey... we will hold you for 99 years and THEN we will hand you over to your local law enforcement. Am I wrong in this assessment?

Unfortunately the Congressional Record hasn't been updated, but there are some possibilities that it was an amendment proposed by Sen. Feinstien. Hopefully tomorrow the record will be updated to reflect today's late-hour business.

Post Script
There is a strong possibility that Amendment 1456, Sen. Feinstien is the amendment that is deemed the "compromise" but right now, there is no text of the amendment due to the clerk having not updated the public record online. Keep an eye on it. That amendment passed 99-1.
edit on 2-12-2011 by ownbestenemy because: Corrected Senator's name

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I can't describe how angry I am!! Like Stuart Rhodes of Oathkeepers said, "This is an act of war AGAINST the American People"!!

Hopefully when the voting results come out we can see who were the 93 who voted to destroy our Constitutional Rights!! We have to tell EVERYONE we know and vote them out of office. Fortunately, Leiberman isn't running for another term so that gets rid of one!!

What gets me more infuriated is the MSM including online news (Yahoo) have not covered this treasonous bill!! The wool is being pulled over everyone's eyes and it is our responsibility to help the "sheeple" see!

We need MORE elected officials like Ron Paul and Rand Paul!!!
edit on 2-12-2011 by FreedomKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

top topics

join